Russian Ship Mid 1970s

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
c ships

Re: Russian Ship Mid 1970s

Unread post by c ships »

A Russian ship came to the great lakes in April 20 1973 .The Dubossary to load soybeans after a grain embargo between the two countries, for some time. We seen many Russian vessels come in after that. This article was in the newspapers.

Unread post by Guest »

Concerning the picture you are referring to, the Port Huron Seaway Terminal put out a nice booklet in the early 1980s detailing its history. I had purchased one at the Port Huron Museum of Arts and History but no longer have it. I cannot recall if it had anythingabout the Soviet ship that docked at Port Huron but perhaps that is the best chance at finding this picture if there is no record of it in the microfilmed collection of the Port Huron Times Herald at the St. Clair County Library. Perhaps one of the readers of this post can confirm whether or not the Seaway Terminal booklet contains any information on this event. It is likely that there was a limited number of these booklets made as I don't recall ever seeing them at a marine flea market or on an online auction as I would like to replace the one I lost.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

The Dobrush was the first Russian vessel to stop at Port Huron, arriving 25 May 1973 and leaving 27 May 1973. It was apparently quite a big deal at the time.
crxtim2

Russian Ship Mid 1970s

Unread post by crxtim2 »

Hello, all. It's been a long time since I was out here, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a Russian ship that passed through the Great Lakes in the mid 70s (74-77). It docked in Port Huron, MI and at Detroit. It was one of the first Russian ships to come to Port Huron and made the front page of the local paper. One of the customs inspectors on duty at the time says he was photographed with the ship, and he wants to find the picture. He doesn't remember the ship's name nor the year. He has tried looking through the microfiche at the local library but has had no luck. Any thoughts that might help narrow the search?