White Shoal, Gray's Reef

Open to discussion on all lighthouses from the Great Lakes and beyond.
Diver Dan

Re: White Shoal, Gray's Reef

Unread post by Diver Dan »

This photo appears to me to have been taken from a vessel in the channel just south of Gray's Reef Light. The clarity of White Shoal Light indicates that it was taken from well above water level, likely the upper deck of a freighter, and it was taken on a low-humidity day. We often have great visibility like this in late September, and can see both these lights AND Waugoshance from all along the north shore. That is the north shore in the background, not clouds. Remember the height of land near Cut River Gorge, the shore climbs up like that from Gros Cap all the way to beyond Epoufette.
You can also see both these lights from L'Eggs Inn in Cross Village, but I don't remember if you can get this angle, even if you had a lens big enough. Still, it's a very nice photo.
Ray

Re: White Shoal, Gray's Reef

Unread post by Ray »

Is it possible that is a cloud formation or fog bank in the distance? Not enough detail visible to say definitively that it is land.

White Shoal, Gray's Reef

Unread post by Guest »

Can someone tell me how this photo was shot? I see it has to be looking north seeing White Shoal is north of Grays Reef but what is the land mass above White Shoal? The nearest land is 7-8 miles but that's south west or south east.
Attachments
Gray's-White-rll.jpg