What is Your Favorite Lighthouse?

Open to discussion on all lighthouses from the Great Lakes and beyond.
Lady Pirate1

Re: What is Your Favorite Lighthouse?

Unread post by Lady Pirate1 »

I agree, Teri, it is hard to chose just one when so many have special meanings to me! Sturgeon Point is one of my favorites, it's so peaceful there. Detroit River Light because of it's location and has just always been a favorite of mine. Split Rock and White Shoal for their beauty, Forty Mile Pt and Old Presque Isle for their history. Crisp Point for it's isolated location & beautiful beach. Whitefish Pt for it's Fitzgerald history and beautiful beach. Plus the three I stayed in are close to my heart: Sand Hill, Big Bay and Two Harbors, all on Lake Superior. Charity Island for it's beautiful island. Saginaw Rear Range light simply because it's off limits to the general public and is on one of my favorite rivers (Saginaw River). The list goes on and on! :)

Very cool that you're going on that cruise! Which lighthouses will you be seeing? From the boat only or will you be getting off the boat?
Teri

Unread post by Teri »

This is a very tough decision because each and every lighthouse have a special story. I love Crisp Point, Split Rock, White Shoal, Old Mission Point Lighthouse, and more. I will be going on a lighthouse cruise to see 32 lighthouses on Lake Michigan at the end of June. I wish, they could fix up Poverty Island and a few more.
KariAnn

Unread post by KariAnn »

Crisp Point has our vote! We spend time here every summer as keepers. Long, adventurous trip back but well worth it. Spend a hour or spend the day...You will not be dissappointed. Crowds are small. White sand, desolate beach for as far as you can see. Climb the tower go out on the rail and enjoy an incredible view of Lake Superior as the freighters pass by.
www.crisppointlight.org
CJEdin

Unread post by CJEdin »

Crisp Point. The lighthouse itself isn't an overpowering presence compared to the Poe towers or some of the offshore lights, but the location is amazing, the drive to it an adventure, and the view up and down the shore from the lantern room essentially unchanged from the day it was built.
John Stanley

Re: What is Your Favorite Lighthouse? Outer island - apostles

Unread post by John Stanley »

Spent the entire summer as volunteer keeper on Outer. I understand funds have beceome available to finish restoration but info is very sketchey.
jerryswin32

Unread post by jerryswin32 »

my favorite lighthouse is mission point.
Mate

Unread post by Mate »

Offshore: White Shoal Light
Onshore: Split Rock
Attachments
split rock light
split rock light
white shoal light
white shoal light

Unread post by Guest »

Favorite "offshore" light is White Shoals light in northern L. Michigan. Holland Harbor Light for favorite shore light.
Castaway

Unread post by Castaway »

I adore the Marblehead Lighthouse. It's got such a classic look to it. It's also the oldest lighthouse on the lakes in continuous operation. And it's the only lighthouse on the lakes I've visited. I loved seeing the green light from across the bay from Cedar Point.
sgrima

What is Your Favorite Lighthouse?

Unread post by sgrima »

Just like in the Regional Discussion Board topic "What is your favorite ship?" Post a reply (and if you have it) and picture of your favorite lighthouse on the Great Lakes.

It's a hard call but I think mine is 40 Mile Point Lighthouse.
Attachments
40MilePtLight.jpg