Sturgeon Bay Shipyard Tours

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Jenny

Re: Sturgeon Bay Shipyard Tours

Unread post by Jenny »

The Sturgeon Bay Rotary Club sponsors this event once a year. It is the only time of year that Bay Shipbuilding has public tours. I am a Rotarian and have led tours for the last 3 years. Cameras and questions are encouraged.
Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

Was just looking at the brochure I have, and it does not say anything about not being able to take pictures
Phil

Unread post by Phil »

Shipyard Tours Saturday, May 2, 2009 This is a once a year extraordinary experience. The shipyards of Sturgeon Bay are opened to the public. The public is welcomed to tour, see current projects and ask employees questions. Tickets available on the day of the event 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. For more information, please call (920) 746-8460.
Chris

Unread post by Chris »

I'm surprised they do that. I contacted the company but they said they didnt do tours.
dn

Unread post by dn »

it's an annual fundraising thing sponsored by a local group like the Kiwanis, etc. I saw the brochure when I was up there last week but didn't look real close at it.
Steve

Unread post by Steve »

SB is unusually secretive. I was up there for work and they asked not to take pictures and I wondered why?
Eric

Unread post by Eric »

They don't want a lot of pictures of how they do things and environmental practices. Remember they are working along the water with all sorts of chemicals, grease, oils and old paint.
Scott Best

Unread post by Scott Best »

Thats my big question, are you allowed to bring in a camera on the tour? thanks!
Scooter

Unread post by Scooter »

Always have had my camera with me in the past and have gotten some great shots. One year St Mary's Challenger was in the floating dry dock and was able to walk right up to it. Buffalo was In the Graving dock having repairs to the bow from a grounding, could also walk right up to the edge of the dock to take pictures. But that was several years ago.
Jenny

Sturgeon Bay Shipyard Tours

Unread post by Jenny »

The annual Sturgeon Bay Shipyard tours will be held on May 2, 2009. The Bay Shipbuilding tours will be more elaborate than ever with more to see. This year, there will be two lakers - the Begely and the Sherwin - both in for repowering. There will also be two new petro barges - one very near completion and one well under construction. It should be an amazing tour - come up for this rare opportunity.