G.A. Boeckling

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Bookworm

Re: G.A. Boeckling

Unread post by Bookworm »

This incident makes me think of the more recent fire damage to the passenger steamer St. Clair. Has a decision been made as to her future?
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Here is an article about the fire from the Port Clinton News Herald, 22 June 1989. I hope it is readable. The arsonist was apprehended and convicted. The remains were scrapped at Toledo.
Attachments
PC NH GA Boeckling.png

Unread post by Guest »

Didn't the Boeckling get scrapped at Toledo or is its hull still sitting somewhere?
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

I believe the Boeckling fire occurred at the Hocking Valley docks near the 280 bridge, not the shipyard. I was living in Oregon just east of Toledo at the time and have pictures of her both before and just after the fire, all at Hocking Valley.
sanduskymaritime

G.A. Boeckling

Unread post by sanduskymaritime »

This vessel ran from Sandusky, OH, across bay to Cedar Point. Was retired from service in 1952. Towed to Sturgeon Bay, WI, in 1955, for use as floating machine shop.
It was used as floating storage and machine shop, Sturgeon Bay, WI, in 1955. Removed from documentation, 1953, as "Abandoned." Was destroyed by a suspicious fire during the night of June 21, 1989, while sitting in a Toledo shipyard.
The Maritime Museum of Sandusky has multiple artifacts and images of this ship. We are hoping to expand our exhibit soon!