1st winter storm

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
garbear

Re: 1st winter storm

Unread post by garbear »

We received over 8" of snow in Duluth Sat. into Sun. So far this season almost 25" inches of snow. 6" above normal. -5F actual temp this morning with a wind chill of -30F. Lots of "Lake Steam" this morning. To those of you that don't know it, here's the link to the Canal cam.

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Lots of ice forming in the harbor. Tug assistance is being used to break ice. The forecast for Sunday morning is for -14 to -16F actual temp.
I was looking this a.m. at snow totals and I see Keweenaw County has already received 53" of snow this season. Didn't have that much until Jan. 9th last snow season.
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

We had about 11 inches of snow here last night ( 12-11-'16 ) in the metro Detroit area and now we will be getting a polar vortex of extremely cold weather to finish our week ! I'm not sure about the ice conditions on lake Saint Clair but it won't be long before the ice fishing season will be starting. It must be a chore keeping warm on the ore boats still running !
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just heard on my local news here in the Detroit area that my area got about 9.2 inches give or take and Ann Arbor got about 10 with more expected overnight about another 1-3 inches. To think we are not even officially into Winter yet folks as it officially begins on the calendar December 21st. What I wanna know is okay people you want snow and a white Christmas fine then. Just be careful then what you wish for as now you got the biggest snowfall thus far of the season and we still have a long way yet to go. After we get done with both Christmas and New Year's Day, all of this snow can go away then and we can fast forward to Spring. And in case anyone thinks otherwise, then maybe if you've gone through all the heel that I've been through in 2016 you may think differently and especially with my lowest total ever at the river with only 3 trips! Can't wait until Spring 2017 to start at the river and see ships also.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

jjgrill wrote:We got 28 inches Friday night. Unreal Saturday morning. Calumet, MI Jim Grill
You are making me miss the Keweenaw. But then again, I was young and energetic the few years I lived up there. 28 inches in one night might be a little overwhelming if I had to deal with it now.
jjgrill

Unread post by jjgrill »

We got 28 inches Friday night. Unreal Saturday morning. Calumet, MI Jim Grill
Mike

1st winter storm

Unread post by Mike »

Here in the metro Detroit area we are expecting 6-10 inches of snow today ( 12-11-'16 ). this is the first large storm of the season. it's been snowing all day today - starting at about 8 this morning. they expect the storm to last until the evening with a total of 6-10 inches of snow to be cleared in the metro area. it looks like winter has finally arrived !