My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Lakercapt

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by Lakercapt »

Daleby

“ With only a short few weeks to complete my time I did not fancy another extended voyage. If I was away during that time I would have had to sign on the ship as an AB and be paid at that rate. Just wanted it to end. Fortunately Ropners had four ships on a regular run to the 'Gulf' ports in the USA on a short liner basis. They carried twelve passengers and there was a massive difference from their other ships. I was sent to join Daleby and told to take my white kit with me. Still had it from my few days on Swiftpool and it was still unworn. Joined her in Liverpool where she was loading for Miami, New Orleans, Galveston and Mobile. Round to London to finish and off we set.

Daleby
Daleby - the date and location is unknown. [1]

Note: A history of Daleby can be found on the Benjidog Ships Histories website HERE.

“ I was the only apprentice and for once was not on a deck watch but on day work doing what the mate wanted and not doing as the bosun wanted. Not only that, I ate in the officers dining room - the first time since I started my time. The only other time I had eaten in the saloon was on the Christmas Day dinner. Wore my white for the first time and even the #10's for dinner at night. As we had passengers the food was exceptional and I had to shake myself a couple of times to remind myself that this was the same company I had been inflicted with near starvation and the most miserable of food. I was on cargo watch during the loading of whisky in London but the stevedores were past masters at stealing the stuff and I never saw half of what was being squirreled away. It was the same in the US ports and I just resigned myself to keeping a low profile and just a token guard.

On this Trip I was told to go on watch with the Second mate and was really only a extra lookout as he was not feeling well and spent his time in the chartroom. Was a novelty to be on a ship that had a gyro compass and an automatic pilot plus a radar that was operational. A change from being on the bridge polishing the brass and cleaning. Did not learn much about being a navigating officer but by now all I wanted was to be done. It was great going ashore in these ports as the berths were comparatively clean and not miles from town. All the tales I heard about these ports were right as we were treated very well by the locals and invited to do tours etc. One time I was walking back in the evening when a police car pulled me over and gave me a lift back to the ship as they thought I was crazy walking in that neighbourhood at night.

We loaded corn and cotton and some machinery for the trip back to Liverpool and I kept a navigational watch with the mate homeward bound.

Indentured at Last

“ There was no celebration when we arrived there but that for me was the end of my indentures. I received a bonus of 25 pounds (on satisfactory completion) and my indentures were endorsed. Free to do as I wished. I attended Leith Nautical College to study for my second mates foreign certificate. Remember when I sat the exam the examiner who had been taking other candidates into the seamanship room and had them rigging stages and splicing wires etc., looked at my application and told me that I would have had done enough sailing with Ropners that we bypassed that and went right into 'rules of the road' etc. After the signals and the written I passed and was duly awarded my certificate.

Now I having completed my indentures I was a qualified sailor.

Should I relate some of my adventures when I sailed down the West African coast or maybe the times I spent on what was called a short sea trader where I got my first command. As Boatnerds we all know that the captain is referred to as "The Old Man" and I was the youngest crew member ?????
I will see how the mood takes me a \s I note there has been quite an interest in my ramblings up till now.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Captain, you have me on the edge of my seat and I started on the Great Lakes in 1956 and sailed all my life. You at an excellent story teller. Keep 'em com'n......
A J

Unread post by A J »

Captain, how can we be bored with what you write? Please continue sharing.

Alex
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

Laker Captain, I think what you have written is outstanding! It is an up close and personal view of an age and a caree gone bye. The "human interest" part of it, for example t going to work on one hours sleep, despite the mate, that fascinates me. Well done! I am not bored and am very much looking forward to a few more tales! Mike
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Lakercapt - looking forward to stories from your Misener days

I have not long to go in the series about my apprenticeship and might relate some other tales about my other seagoing "Adventures" if the viewers are not bored by me by now.
Lakercapt

To save going out into the Atlantic again, we sailed through the Chesapeake and Delaware canal which was a very scenic run, and duly docked at a coal loading facility. There too it was fairly fast and I was fascinated by them tipping the railroad wagons upside down and dumping them and then they went off on a ramp back to the marshaling yard without anyone tending them. The trip to Savona across the Atlantic was typical for the winter and we did not break any records getting there.

Passing through the Straits of Gibraltar was an impressive sight with many ships doing their own thing as that was before the routing system came into force. Course as we were to learn during the busy spell, the signal station on Gib would call us up on the Morse lamp asking if we wished to be reported. Savona was the normal discharge and the coal was loaded into large buckets and went on a trip by cable to I know not where. This was the first time in Italy and, although I was to call in this port many times later on when I was with Gem Line, the first time is always the most exciting.

On completion we were to proceed to Tunisia and load (what else) iron ore at a place called La Golette. Another first for me and I was fascinated by the culture and the market where everything was on sale - even some persistent guys trying to sell their sisters 'very clean'.
Ingleby's Crew

I have not mentioned any of the crew on Ingleby as to be honest there were no personalities that stuck out. The second mate I remember as being what was called 'a professional second mate'. The first mate married a rich widow in the States and left the ship to live with her. The Captain I sailed with when I did my first trip as third mate after getting my second mates FG certificate. The other apprentice was doing his first and last trip came from what was then Southern Rhodesia and often commented on the fact that, as apprentices, we were treated worse that the 'kaffirs' in his country (his words not mine). One time I bet him that he could not eat a whole ship's duff at one sitting and I lost the bet.

The other one that I remember is the chief steward as he was one of these persons that did his best to see that we did not gain weight and the food was just above the BOT standards. On one occasion he short-listed the stores required as we were going to the US where we could store cheaper. Got a change of plans and were diverted to a place called Puerto Ordaz on the Orinoco River (to load what else but iron ore). This was in 1955 when the place had not long opened and there were no facilities other than the loading berth. Navigation up the river was in daylight only. As a result we were just about out of food when we finally got to the discharge port. The crew were very anti by this time and refused to open up until they had a decent meal. It was with some foresight that the captain had 'Sparkie' radio ahead a store list and the truck was waiting on the dock for our arrival.

The cooks got supplies out, enough to give us a meal of steak egg and chips plus some canned fruit and 'shaky' milk (evaporated milk) after which the crew opened up and got the ship ready for discharge. During that time the C/S kept a very low profile as he was not a popular person.
Paid Off

After eight months and some other cargoes of coal and iron ore we went to Hull to pay off. I was glad to see the end of that ship and, counting my time, realized that I had just over two months to complete my indentures. I wrote to Ropners and told them this and hoped that I could complete it asap.

Unread post by Guest »

Lakercapt - looking forward to stories from your Misener days

Unread post by Guest »

Chaguaramas! Wow, that's a blast from the past! Some years, ok - a lot of years ago I worked for a company called Sugar Line and the ship I was on at the time (Sugar Carrier) was chartered to Saguenay Shipping and we ran from Trinidad, Chaguaramas Bay, to Port Alfred in the spring to fall, and between Surinam and Trinidad in the winter when Port Alfred was frozen in! Bauxite was a nasty cargo indeed and we had to try and seal everything up when loading and unloading.
Lakercapt

Darryl wrote:LakerCapt.? Maybe you'll cover this, but was an apprentice like a cadet is today? Where with schooling a person can get an officer's license quicker, then climbing the hawespipe? And is this strictly a British procedure?

As an apprentice I signed indentures and was committed to that company for the duration i.e. 4 years with a reduction of six months for the time I spent at a nautical college.
A cadet can work for any company and signed on the ships articles of agreement (apprentices did not).
No matter what direction you go , through the hawse pipe, apprentice or cadet you are still required to complete the required amount of sea time. There are no short cuts to obtaining your certificate of competency.
Canada follow a system similar to UK as does may countries.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Lakercapt - You must mean Port Alfred in Saguenay not Port Arthur
Thanks I stand corrected as I wrote of these tales a long while ago.

Unread post by Guest »

Lakercapt - You must mean Port Alfred in Saguenay not Port Arthur
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

LakerCapt.? Maybe you'll cover this, but was an apprentice like a cadet is today? Where with schooling a person can get an officer's license quicker, then climbing the hawespipe? And is this strictly a British procedure?
Lakercapt

Ingleby

“ Bags packed and down to Dover where I met the agent and the carpenter who was also to join the ship. Put us up in a hotel as the ship had been delayed and they would come and get us when she was close.

Second night we were wakened at about 2 am and taken down to the harbour. Sat in an office for ages and then boarded a motor launch and proceeded out to the Straits of Dover and waited until the ship came closer. Was ages waiting and eventually this green rust covered apparition appeared out of the gloom. The boat manouvered alongside and a heaving line sent down and our bags hoisted on board.

A Lukewarm Welcome

“ I went to the bridge to report on board and was met by a person wearing a long coat, a trilby and smoking a pipe. 'Where is the Old Man?' I asked, not knowing who this person was. 'I am the old man and you should get your working gear unpacked as you will be on watch soon'. I knew where to go as the arrangements were the same as Firby. There was another apprentice in the cabin sound asleep so he was wakened when I went in and started to change into my working gear. Asked him what was going on and found out that a couple of the crew members had been paid off sick in Hamburg and we were the replacements. As I had the sea time in I was to be included as part of the deck crew as an EDH. (without that rate of pay!!).

Got my seven bell breakfast and the bosun put me to work with the rest of the deck crew. We were to rig stages under the deck in the holds and clean off all the ledges on the beams. Quite a dangerous procedure and one that would not be allowed today. The easiest way would have been to wash them off with hoses but the mate did not want to do that as the tank top ceiling might have lifted and they were not sure if the bilge pumps could cope. Just as well we didn't hole and had water pouring in. Ship was on its way to Cuba to load sugar and the holds were to be spotless when we arrived.

At twelve I finished my watch, had lunch and went to bed as I had been up since the early hours of the morning. One o'clock the bosun was shouting at me to get up as I was required to work overtime down the holds. 'No way' I told him as I was going to sleep as I had been up hours waiting for the ship to appear and I was on watch again that night. Next to appear was the mate and I told him the same which enraged him no end. Stuck to my guns and would not get up for the overtime down the holds. Needless to say I was hauled before the captain and, when I explained to him the circumstances, he concurred with me. My relationship with the mate was somewhat frosty after that!!

The job of cleaning the beams and ledges in the holds continued and it was fortunate that we did not get too much heavy weather. When it was deemed unsafe (sic) to go on the staging and clamber about under the decks, we were down in the holds taking up the limber boards and cleaning out the bilges. It must have been a long time since that miserable chore was done as the remnants of many cargoes were scooped out. Doing the beams we found out that there must have been a cargo of sulphur at one time as sweeping that caused the dust to fly about and we breathed it in; the worst was the effect it had on your eyes as they were watering constantly.

The only respite from this work was when you had to do your trick on the wheel. That was a job I did not care for but I used to look forward to doing it during the hold cleaning. Eventually, in spite of all deckies going on a go-slow for a day in protest, the job was completed and we felt certain that we would pass inspection and be able to load sugar.

Chopping and Changing

“ Alas that was not to happen as we got a change of orders and were now to proceed to Georgetown in British Guyana (now Guyana) and load bauxite. All that for nothing. Were we a little upset at that. Before we arrived in Georgetown it was noticed that there was some damage to the tank tops that must have happened during discharge in Germany. That had to be repaired and as there was fuel oil in these tanks they had to be gas free before welding - Ingleby had been converted to an oil burner about a couple of years previously.

We tied up at a layby berth right in downtown Georgetown and steam hoses were taped into the steam lines on deck that were for the winches. It took several days to do that so we had a few runs ashore. This place was famous for rum - the famous ships rum 'Four Bells' came from here - and I must admit I did sample a few. Never was a bad one but some were better than others.

On completion of the repairs we steamed up the river to load at a place called McKenzie (I believe it has had a name change). This was a dusty loading and we were covered in bauxite dust. One redeeming feature of this place was that the local club had a swimming pool and we were permitted to use it. On finishing loading it was down river to go to anchor awaiting the tide to cross the bar. We were heading for Trinidad and a place called Chaguaramas - supposedly to complete loading and head for Port Arthur up the Sageneuy in Canada. Again that was changed and instead of loading we discharged and were sent back to McKenzie for another load. It turned out to be more than once as we did four trips before finally setting off for Canada.

The trip up to Port Arthur was one where it progressively got cooler until in the St.Lawrence where it was bloody freezing. Went ashore one evening to the movies and came out and found it had snowed heavily during the time we were inside. Although the scenery in the Saguenay region was very pretty, we were all glad to see the back of that place. Now we were heading to Norfolk/Newport News to load coal for Savona in Italy. A quick clean up in the hold was all that was required.

Once again we had a change of orders and were now to go to Seven Islands (Sept Iles) and load ore for Morrisville near Philadelphia. We arrived there and berthed the ship and the bosun told us to get a smoke and cup of tea. Had hardly sat down when we were summoned to start battening down #3 hatch as they had finished loading that hold already. After being used to the fairly leisurely loading in Whyalla, this came as a surprise and there was more to come. Just finished that and another hatch was ready for battening down. I can relate to the seamen of old when in freezing conditions they had to climb up the masts to work the sails in horrible conditions. The tarpaulins were stiff as boards and getting them to tuck or fold was extremely difficult. The ends of our fingers were sore and very cold by the time we had one hatch done and the rest were following in quick time. Eventually we had completed loading and were told to get off the berth as another ship was to come alongside. We were towed out to the anchorage to finish pumping out the ballast and battening down. Have been there many times since on 'Lakers' and it was a breeze with the easy hatches to batten down and very quick de-ballasting. Morrisville was up past Philadelphia and as far as I can remember nothing worth noting. On completion it was to Newport News/Norfolk to load coal. Seems all my time I was carrying ore or coal.

to be contiued
Lakercapt

Just before my leave was finished I received a letter telling me my next appointment would be to join M.V. Swiftpool in Liverpool. Wow - they had kept their promises and I was to join one of the new ships that was on a regular run to the US gulf ports etc. I joined as they said as she arrived and found out that I was to be the 'senior' apprentice with all the power that that position held!!

“ This ship carried 12 passengers and was sheer luxuary compared to Firby the last ship I was on. Discharge was completed and we sailed for London to finish discharge. I was on daywork, something that I only experienced for a week on my first ship. The ship had all the modern navigational equipment, Radar, Decca, automatic pilot etc. which were all new to me. Nirvana and I was happy to be there. The captain was a very pleasant gentleman and even spoke to me and inquired about the Aussie coast. Him having his wife and three daughters aboard made for very pleasant conditions. We even ate in the Officer's dining room which was a change.

I had not been in London long when I was asked to visit the captain. "Bad news I am afraid" he said. "You are to go to Dover and join S.S. Ingleby as she sails past Dover". Was I ever pissed off about that as that ship was the sister ship of the one I had spent over two years on the Auusie coast on and I knew what to expect.

on to my next ship:
SailorDoug

Unread post by SailorDoug »

Great read. My grand father sailed the same seas as a ships engineer.
He died as a young man a long time ago, so not so many storeys survived. Your stories have helped to give me a little colour to his adventures. One of the few I have was that they raced against sail ships with the new wheat crop from Australia to London UK. Some times the sail ships won.
Lakercapt

A couple of weeks into my vacation I received a letter from Ropner's office instructing me to attend their office for an interview. They had enclosed a rail voucher. I had a fairly good idea what it was to be about as the captain R.H. Anderson and I were not on good terms and, to my recollection, the only time he spoke to me was to issue orders. Once he did speak to me as I had incurred his wrath and said I would never get a Master Certificate as long as my ar** pointed down. It was with great satisfaction some years later when I obtained my Masters Certificate that I made a photocopy of it and sent it too him C/O Ropners.

The interview was as I expected as my conduct report from the master had not been glowing!! In attendance was the personnel manager and one of the Ropner brothers. I had been brought up to speak my mind and told my side, missing out nothing and mentioning that I was supposed to be being trained as a Navigation Officer and not treated as cheap labour. I mentioned the fact that, had I not already have committed so much time to that aim, I would have told them where to put their indentures. That was sheer bravado as I would have immediately been called up to do my National Service and that had no appeal whatsoever as Britain had small wars going on all over the globe and I did not fancy being shot at. They promised that conditions would improve and I being a little gullible believed them

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Great accounts of sailing in your youth keep them coming. Question for you do you remember what your tonnage was when you sailed for Avonmouth?
Sorry as an apprentice I was never privileged with that ifo but at a guess about 9500 long tons.

Unread post by Guest »

Great accounts of sailing in your youth keep them coming. Question for you do you remember what your tonnage was when you sailed for Avonmouth?

Unread post by Guest »

Under Repair

“ As I mentioned previously, Newcastle (New South Wales, Australia) was considered our home port as we spent the most time there. We did a dry-docking there on a floating dock and once spent several weeks alongside the Newcastle State Dockyard as the main engine had a major problem with the crankshaft. It had to be removed from the ship and I don't know what was done but it was many days getting fixed.

There were two sailors missions - the Flying Angel and the Stella Maris. Both were wonderful to the crews that went there and I am sure they competed with each other. The dances they arranged were well-attended and the young ladies wonderful hostesses. I must admit that I fell in love more than once. Because of that long stay in port getting the engine repaired, there was a literal mountain of ashes along the starboard side of the ship when we sailed and it took a great deal of effort by all hands to dump them overboard. During our time on the Aussie coast Ropners had several ships doing the same as us but we were that last to depart.

On our final departure from Newcastle we got a magnificent send-off as tugs and ships in port blew salutes all the way until we cleared the port. I was quite sad in some ways, but I knew that soon we would be heading home to the UK as there was a cargo booked for us from Port Pirie to Avonmouth. That last cargo was delivered to Port Adelaide and when it was discharged we moved to a layby berth to undertake repairs and fix up any damages that were done during the long charter. It took nearly two weeks to do the work and that was the charter finished. The first thing we noticed was that the unlimited supply of fresh milk that we were used to (it was a requirement of the charterers and at their expense) stopped and it was back to 'connie onnie'. Round to Port Pirie and started to load zinc concentrate using the ships gear which had not been in service for some time so the loading was an extended period. We spent Christmas and New Year there so we did not care as all had a great time with the very friendly people of that town. When we were there the two-year ships agreement passed but as we were loading for a UK port it mattered not one iota as everyone had to stay until the voyage had been completed.

We loaded alongside to maximum draft for the channel and went out to anchor and completed loading from barges. When the cargo had been leveled out, we set off on the voyage to Avonmouth, stopping on route at Fremantle WA, Durban (the Bluff), Capetown and Las Palmas for bunkers. On this passage 'Neptune' and his entourage visited the ship and I along with another few crew were officially inducted into the fraternity of mariners. It was also on this passage that I celebrated my 19th birthday - the third birthday I had on this ship (17th,and 18th as well).

During the bunkering stop at Las Palmas I did something I had never done before. Got drunk on some weird concoction I had been given. As I was to be on the wheel leaving port it was a struggle to get me out of my bunk and I felt miserable. Fortunately it was not a difficult or long pilotage and I did not make any mistakes.

We arrived at Avonmouth 72 days after setting sail from Port Pirie. After we were secured, the crew that had been onboard - many since the start - were given 2 pounds 'channel money' and told to leave the ship and come back in two days time for the 'Pay off'. This time was needed I was told to finalize the accounts of wages. I was not included as was the other apprentice so for two days we were the only two deckhands on board and along with deck jobs that were required I had to help the cook in the galley and serve in the saloon.

Paid Off

“ We found out that the ship had been sold to Greek interests and was to be handed over to them when discharged. On Pay-off day I got my pay slip and to my disgust discovered that I was in debt to the ship. The only way I was to get any money was from the victualing allowance paid when on leave.

During the innumerable times that I had been night watchman doing a twelve hour shift I had supposed to be paid four hours overtime but this did not show on my pay slip. (I still have this). I had been leaving a small allotment which had been banked by my mother so I was not destitute. The pay-off was done in front of a Shipping master and the crew lined up to get their monies. Many were advised to take a bank draft as they had large amounts due to them but most wanted the cash. I will always remember Donald Campbell the bosun receiving a large brick sized bundle of 5 pound notes (they were those large white ones at the time) and thought it was very foolish for him to have such a sum on him taking the train to Glasgow. There were many rogues that preyed on sailors that had just paid off.

Payslip Payslip
Bill's first payslip. [2]

“ I was given leave after discharge and went home a very different person from the young lad that left home all those months ago.
Lakercapt

Continue my previos posting

Firby's Crew

“ The original crew of the ship came from all parts of the UK. As I mentioned previously the firemen and the donkeymen were Arabs from South Shields. There were many 'Geordies' and one South African. The Bosun Donald Campbell came from Barra and when he had a few scotches would revert to speaking Gaelic. 'Chippy' was a Tyneside man as were the rest of the catering department. The mates and engineers were a mixed bunch and not surprisingly the 'sparkie' came from Ireland. I say original crew as there were many changes during the two years we spent on the coast. It seemed with great regularity that some one had decided to jump ship and seek the better life in Australia. Some may have been caught by the police but we never saw any of them again.

We were on charter to the Aussie government and were paid overtime for anything pertaining to cargo work outside our regular eight hours plus the onerous rule of 8 hours day of arrival or sailing if it were the weekend. This was usually paid along with the 'dirty money' each month at our home port of Newcastle.

I never had so much money in all my life and on reflection wonder what I did with it!! That was the time that many of the crew went on a big drunk and often the time I was sent to the local bars to try and round them up so the ship could sail. Most were reluctant to return and it took some convincing to get them back. The local bars were just across the rail yard from the ship and it was a very dangerous crossing to get back dodging the rail cars and trains. Next day with sore heads there was a line up to the captain's office to be 'logged' for their misdemeanors. Only the Arab crew were never at fault.

Donald Campbell the bosun had his own secret formula for mixing up 'sugee' - and it needed to be powerful stuff to help us keep the ship semi-clean as it was a thankless task loading coal or iron ore every few days. Was I ever sick of hearing the day's work schedule was Sogee! It was always a battle getting enough pressure on the deck line to wash down and many a trip I had to go down to the engineer on watch to plead for more pressure on the deck line.

I mentioned before that the two apprentices were treated as deck hands, albeit the lowest paid, and often as a result of our deckhands spending time in the local bars we were the only two that were sober and competent to drive the winches when putting the hatch beams back in place. That and going on the wheel when sailing as some of the sailors could not be trusted. I often think that this was how to train to be an officer and the only time we spent on the bridge was steering or that dreaded Saturday morning chore - polishing the brasswork; to this day I still detest the smell of 'Brasso'. I used to envy the cadets of other ships when I was told of how well they were treated on the liner ships.

Crew Accommodation

“ The accommodation on Firby, like all else, was very basic and the two apprentices lived on the starboard side engine casing. In this section were housed three catering staff, the galley boy, cabin boy and 2nd steward in one cabin. Next to them was the second cook and baker (one person), and then the two apprentices. Next door to us was the third engineer. We all shared the one toilet and washroom.

There was a bath tub you could use with salt water and a sink with fresh water but no shower. The fresh water was supplied from a tank that was on the deck above and it was the chippy's job to pump this tank up (or the apprentices when chippy was indisposed). The little pump also pumped up the midship accommodation and poop accommodation as the fresh water tanks were in the 'tween deck at the for'd end of #4 hold. We had the pleasure of cleaning and cement washing these tanks several times under the watchful eye of the chippy.

On a little isolated house on the after end of the boat deck lived the bosun, chief cook and the chippy. Sailors and firemen lived aft on the poop deck three or four to a cabin.

As the person on the very low end of the pecking order, I was given many horrible jobs and was usually paired with an AB to be his 'gofor'. One particular AB used to give me a hard time and a clip on the ear if I was not fast enough. He was a big guy so I just waited my time to seek revenge. My time came one night when I was the night watchman in port in Newcastle when they had been given their cash. I knew there would be a few drunks coming back when the bars closed. It was at six o'clock officially but a well know bar called 'Sallies' would shut up at the proper time but carried on serving the patrons inside.

Angus came staggering back and managed to navigate crossing the rail yard and gangway but collapsed on the coil of mooring line on the poop deck. I managed to haul him inside and to the top of the stairs leading down to his cabin and tipped him down. He clattered down without stirring so I managed a few kicks in the ribs. I was mad at him. Then dragged him to his bunk and tossed him in. Next morning he was feeling rather the worse for wear. I approached him and said "If you ever try to hit me again when I am trying to get you into your bunk I will just leave you lying and to hell with the consequences". He was very contrite and apologized profusely and handed me a 10/- note for looking after him. Revenge and I got paid for it!!. He never gave me a hard time after that but a couple of months later he did a bunk and that was the last I saw of him.
to be continued