Photo Collection

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Photo Collection

Unread post by garbear »

See if I can get this to work.
Attachments
Canadian Provider, Summer of 2000, Harvest States, Superior.
Canadian Provider, Summer of 2000, Harvest States, Superior.
Russ

Unread post by Russ »

An Epson V550 scanner is a decent unit for scanning photos, slides, and negatives. It comes complete with the necessary software and the plastic mounts needed to scan up to four slides at a time. It is listed on the Walmart website for $199.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I'm going to order a scanner this weekend. Talked to my son and decided that was the way to go. I worked at Target and retired from there so I still get my employee discount.
By the way, I have roughly 3000 photos.

Unread post by Guest »

Darryl wrote:Shyster? What about if you have old slides? I got about 150 maybe from the lakes circa 1972 - 1975. Do you put slides on a scanner or is it more complicated? TIA
A Cannon 9000 Mark II is a nice scanner that can create images from prints, slides, and negatives very easily with good results. I picked one up a year ago for about $130. I had some unused credit rebates so I think the actual cost would probably be closer to $200.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Shyster? What about if you have old slides? I got about 150 maybe from the lakes circa 1972 - 1975. Do you put slides on a scanner or is it more complicated? TIA
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

shystr wrote:Somebody you know has a scanner. It's easy. You pick one or three or ten of your favorites. Slap one-at-a-time face down on the scanner. Select "JPEG" format. Run it. It creates a JPEG file with a unique name. Which you can then post on Boatnerd. Or Facebook. Or send to one of your buddies via an e-mail. Your son can probably show you. It's easier than changing your oil.
I've got a new pair of shoes on order and when they come in I'll stop
at First Photo that's right next door. Guess I could get my own photo scanner. I'll see how things go.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Matt wrote:garbear, Did you know Dick Fish, he was bosun on the Parney?
I did not know him. I do remember hearing the name.
Matt

Unread post by Matt »

garbear, Did you know Dick Fish, he was bosun on the Parney?
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

I started sailing in 1956, got on the Henry C Frick in 1957 and got off the Gov. Miller as a wheelsman in 1970. Went with the Corps of Eng out of Jacksonville Fl as a quartermaster on the Dredge Hyde and retired off the Dredge Wheeler as a 2nd Mate Oceans out of New Orleans in 1996.. Always looked back at my time on the Lakes with fond memories.
shystr

Unread post by shystr »

Somebody you know has a scanner. It's easy. You pick one or three or ten of your favorites. Slap one-at-a-time face down on the scanner. Select "JPEG" format. Run it. It creates a JPEG file with a unique name. Which you can then post on Boatnerd. Or Facebook. Or send to one of your buddies via an e-mail. Your son can probably show you. It's easier than changing your oil.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

hugh3 wrote:Maybe your son can post them? Sounds like you were with Great Lakes Fleet.
My son always stops for supper on Tuesday nights on his way home from work. He's a lot more computer literate than his old man.
1971-78 on the Clarke, 1979 Ralph H. Watson.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Maybe your son can post them? Sounds like you were with Great Lakes Fleet.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

bigboat wrote:Would love to see the pics! Maybe you can post some of them?

I would love to, but I don't have any way to post.
bigboat

Unread post by bigboat »

Would love to see the pics! Maybe you can post some of them?
garbear

Photo Collection

Unread post by garbear »

Yesterday my son brought over all my photo albums from the years I sailed and all the photos I took here in the Twin Ports from 1980 thru probably about 2005 when I basically for the most part stopped talking photos. My ex-wife was generous where she let me keep them in her basement for the past 5 yrs. She also had arranged them in storage boxes for me by year.
One of my favorite photos was in 1971 it's me, the bosun, and the 2 other deckhands waiting to be put on the dock in Conneaut. I was
only 18 at the time. This year I'll be 65. Photos of the Fitzgerald, the Socrates sitting around off Park Point and several photos of some of the scrap tows leaving Duluth. Lots of other lakers that are long gone also. About 2/3 of the way thru them. Also, lots of photos I got over the years from Wendell Wilke, Jim Hoffman, and the late Ralph Roberts. Been so long since I've seen them it's almost like Christmas in April. Actually could almost be Christmas because we had snow on the ground yesterday with a high 34. Today it's 34 and they weather people are saying snow again Wed. into Thurs.