My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by garbear »

Jerry at Duluth wrote:Captain, I really enjoy your stories and hope that you keep them coming. When you wrote about the alfalfa pellets cargo, I recalled many of them that we loaded at Duluth. Most of them were in Brovig tankers and the trimmers were in the tanks. the tank would be loaded until the cargo filled up to the small hatch and then the men would have to trim the cargo by hand in order to dig their way out of the tank. The cargo was referred to and I believe the ILA contract referred to the cargo as GREEN DEATH. The longshoremen would cough up this green stuff for days after the ship left. The contract called for a premium wage for this cargo but it never seemed worth it to me. I look forward to your lakes career and wonder if we met. When I was a vessel agent at Duluth, our company represented most of the Canadian fleets.
Jerry
Think years ago when I listened to the scanner, I heard you talking to the vessel officers or your boss. By chance was the first name of your company's owner Mark? My son went to grade school with one of his sons and my daughter went to school with his daughter.
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

Yes Jerry I think that we did met as we had a agent when we loaded foreign (overseas) cargo.
But the laker stories are a little while yet as I had a tough time immigrating to Canada
Jerry at Duluth

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

Captain, I really enjoy your stories and hope that you keep them coming. When you wrote about the alfalfa pellets cargo, I recalled many of them that we loaded at Duluth. Most of them were in Brovig tankers and the trimmers were in the tanks. the tank would be loaded until the cargo filled up to the small hatch and then the men would have to trim the cargo by hand in order to dig their way out of the tank. The cargo was referred to and I believe the ILA contract referred to the cargo as GREEN DEATH. The longshoremen would cough up this green stuff for days after the ship left. The contract called for a premium wage for this cargo but it never seemed worth it to me. I look forward to your lakes career and wonder if we met. When I was a vessel agent at Duluth, our company represented most of the Canadian fleets.
Jerry
Lakercapt

From Calumet and the hazard of the bridges we went to Detroit to load KD cars. These were slim plywood boxes that had complete that parts packed in these boxes fillng every cubic inch. All parts including ,nuts and bolts and washers etc. The panels, engines, gearboxes, windshields and glass door and any other part required to assemble a car. These crates were all of a different sizes and were to be stowed on the tween deck. To get them into position the forklifts would push then using the prongs. To secure the second layer star like steel pieces of steel were placed on top. The damage caused by the forklifts was not obvious as they sprang out and no visible mark showed. When these boxes were opened by the receiver all the damage was easily seen. Course the ship we to blame as clean B/Ls were signed by me. It was only when I had seen a crate opened and witnessed the crushed panels, broken and other parts that had been rendered useless all caused by the forklift tow motors pushing them into position. That is why I understood other companies refused to carry this cargo.
Next port we Toledo to load a cargo hold of Alalfa grass pellets. What a mess they turned out to be with green dust everywhere. I pitied the guy that controlled high speed belts directing the cargo that was shooting out the trimming belts as it was near zero visibility. This stuff we highly imflamable as one fellow on deck stubbed his cigarette on deck and next to no time a fire was shooting along the deck. I belief it was also explosive.
The final port of loading was Montreal and a good passage to Europe and the several ports of discharge.
A new set of ships agreement was to be signed on the final discharge port but I had been many months without a proper vacation and declined to re-sign. This was to be a two year agreement and not choice when to get off for vacation. When I got home I called the company and asked t go back on the Norway runs hips but was told they had no vacancies so once again I was looking for employment.

Unread post by Guest »

Love stories from people on the inside great
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Lakercapt,

I was just looking at the numbers and was like "wow looks like some extra number there"...... 10,000 is proof we will still be interested!!

Rob W
A J

Unread post by A J »

Capt., thank you for sharing all that you have and are willing to write. It's great to see that many views to your posts! You will find the boatwatching community is respectful of everyone's privacy and it is left to each individual of what all they want to divulge. Please keep posting at your discretion!

Alex
Lakercapt

My oh my am I impressed that over 10,000 members have viewed my stories so far
I have still a few about my time before I immigrated to Canada so I hope that I can maintain your interest. Some are, I consider amusing.
I have remained anonymous but if anyone does recognise me please refrain from divulging as I will revel who I am laterr.
Lakercapt

As a little addendum to this last post something that just came to mid. We had been up to Calumet to discharge (why anyone in their right mind would build a terminal there for importing foreign cargo is beyond my understanding as a more unsuitable place I have yet to berth). On completion we were to go back to Rail to Water Transfer and load a couple of hold with soya bean meal. As this ship had a wooden sheathed wood tank top ceiling we had covered it with a plastic to avoid any contamination. As we who have been to this place know the main shipments from there are coal, coke and such types of cargos. We were all ready to load this experimental cargo and a crowd of people watched in horror as when the belts started a pile of petroleum coke shot out from the loader and covered our pristine clean cargo hold. The words I uttered are not suitable for print so I will leave that to your imagination.!!
Lakercapt

The trip across the Atlantic was uneventful and the ports were Hamburg, Bremen ,Rotterdam, Antwerp and final load port of Le Havre. We discharged and loaded at the same time and I was pleased there was a super-cargo to assist as the range of goods was multitude. I was pleased to see the last of the straw and hay as that was a pain since we loaded it. Another ship took a prize bull to Montreal and I was thrilled it was not us. We loaded cases of wines which had to be watched like a hawk but the stevedores were past masters at getting into them
Final items loaded were two locomotives for CN railroad and they were well secured on deck as if they ha d got loose it would have been chaos. The gods were kind to us and a good passage across was comfortable. Discharge in Montreal was no problem and then it was up the “Seaway” with the long hours doing that and the Welland Canal. It was daylight when we went through the American locks with the sightseers on the special viewing platform. When we were doing the “Canal” and the “Seaway” we were paid a special bonus as we were not paid overtime for all he extra hours. It was a big deal as when British ship owners paid you a bonus - you certainly earned it!
As on the previous trip the welcome we received from locals was outstanding consisting of being taken out for meals, movie tickets, local sights etc and if you had a special request they would try to accommodate you. Evan one knowledgeable kind person took me back to see the Indians and explain the rules of baseball. It was years later when I supported Toronto Blue Jays that I realised he had instilled some knowledge.
One occasion when the Bosun and I were on the wharf looking to see how the crew were coming along with a painting job when a guy approached us and asked if we spoke English. The Bosun whose first language was Gaelic kidding him along and said we did. He asked us questions about the ship, were we were going etc. We answered him and he asked where we had learned o speak such good English with a funny accent. At school we replied. Will they did a good job he said!! With a broad Scottish brogue the bosn and I had a good chuckle and wish him good morning ini Gaelic
To be continued
Lakercapt

I lost a part that I had written so will write again. I had been invited to the company offices in Glasgow to meet with the owners and managers as I had been promised that the next master to be promoted would be me. Silly me for believing them as shortly after New years a letter dropped through the mail box to the effect, Dear Sir, it is with regret that due to the sale of a vessel we are not i the position to offer you further employment Bla, Bla, Bla. We thank you for your services any wish you luck in any future endeavours . Had I known this was about to happen I most certainly would not have sailed the ship out to Japan and missed Christmas. But fortunately at this period there was n shortage of positions and I joined a local company sailing on small ships from the UK to Norway and back. When we were in he UK the two mates would split up the time for a run home. We, as merchant sailors had a reduced fare on the railroad so it was not too expensive. During my time there the Sailors Union decided to go on strike so we tied up to buoys in the River Tyne. A shore watchman was employed and the mates and engineers split up the time at home, The captain came down every couple of week to give us our pay. My wife was a frequent visitor as her friendly doctor gave her “sick notes”. Alas all god things have to come to an end and the government passed legislation forcing the strikers back to work. I was asked by the office if I would transfer to another of their ships. ( I am still in contact with that captain). The incentive for me was that I was going to the Great Lakes and I would get a chance to see my brother and his family,
This was to be a first for me and to say that it was different on a “Salty” would be an understatement as all hands and the cooks were used to transit the Seaway and the Welland Canal. The first port was Montreal and construction for the Olympics was underway with the futuristic buildings etc quite a sight to see. I spent the last few hours of discharging on the dock watching the draft as to be in excess was going to be a big problem. The seaway inspection was done and instead of self tensioning winches I was later to experience we used cargo winches and snatch blocks. A right nightmare and the AB’s were constantly splicing new eyes in broken wires. The cooks used to cook us a supper as we spent long hours standing by to transit the “Canal”. We were to go to Toronto but it was cancelled which was a disappointment. From the Canal we discharged in Cleveland and Toledo. Next port was Detroit were my relatives managed a visit. Having pilots all the way was novel for us but I could understand why. Up the Calumet to complete discharging and start loading outward cargo. I was amazed at the trip with all the bridges and barges floating about. I would in later years curse this trip up there but it was just part of life.
We part loaded at “Rail to Water transfer Terminal and I experienced a problem. North Americans have different tons to us. I ordered up so many tons and when it was done noticed we were light on draft, and with space to spare. They were using short tons of 2000 lbs. where we used long tons of 2240lbs. (more problems later as metric tonnes were introduced (1000 Kg.) Every day the loading lists would change and as 1st Mate it was a nightmare. Detroit was another case of what was on the shipping list and what would appear on the dock for loading bore no reality. KD cars where large plywood boxes of cars, that were to be reassembled ,in Antwerp. In Cleveland i was invited to go and see a baseball match at the old stadium near the docks. To be honest I had not a clue what was going on but have since become an avid Blue Jays fan.
Last port of loading was Montreal and a couple of Items had me pulling my hair out. For last port of discharge (and final port of loading outward bound) was bales of hay and straw, these took up a large amount of space and the reason was that livestock being shipped to Canada had to have straw and hay from that country for regulations.
To be continued
Lakercapt

Glad you are enjoying them and I must admit I still have a few more to bore the readers.
As an additional to the last missive I had been through to the company offices to meet the directors and owners. This as I was next in the promotion list for masters.
This all fell apart as shortly after New Year a very impersonal letter arrived, Dear Sir we regret to inform you Bla bla bla you are no longer required thank you for your previous services.
looking for work again

Unread post by Guest »

Great story Capt Keep em coming
Lakercapt

How is it that vacation time flies by quickly and before you know it the suitcases have to be brought out from under the bed.
When my wife had graduated I bought her a white miniature Poodle. As she had been living with her mother until we got our own home the dog had been staying there. Our new home was just a few houses away so we did not see the point of changing hat arrangement but every morning my mother in law opened the front door and a white flash was along the road to our house. (Over the many years we have had dogs they were always “My” dogs and the other people were tolerated when I was away)One day I thought that the poodle looked rather scruffy so booked him in for a grooming etc. Took him in on morning and told to pick him up in the afternoon. He looked like picture postcard all fancy haircut and a blue ribbon on each ear. I felt sorry for him, being cooped up all day so on the way home stopped at the local park to let him run loose for a bit. BIG MISTAKE. How is it that dogs instinctively find something gross to roll in???. The rest of the drive home i the car was nearly enough to make me lose my lunch. Out came the garden hose and the picture postcard was soon a soggy scruffy dog. He and I did not see the humour of it and my wife most assuredly did not.
I had asked the company for my next ship not to have so long voyages as my wife was not happy at with the long trips. I was appointed to a ship that was chartered to a famous liner company that had a regular run out to Australia with general cargo and Australian produce back. Just the thing so I joined in Liverpool when they were discharging Aussie produce before heading round to London complete.T his was the first time for my wife to come with me as a friendly doctor had given a sick note to allow her to be off for the week or so. When we were completed discharge the bomb was dropped as we were to come off the charter and become a “tramp” once again. This news was not well received to say the least but as we had all signed on there was little we could do. Sad farewells t my wife as we sailed for Casablanca to load Phosphate for Yokohama in Japan. However hat was not the only bad news we received in Casablanca as we were told the ship had been sold and we were all being flown home from there. To compound matters e would arrive thee if our ETA was correct at Christmas time.
Anyway there was nothing we could do about it but when we went through the Suez Canal there was many items of stores that were surplus to requirements (part of our unofficial pay off bonus)sold to willing buyers. We did however remove all he brass sounding pipe covers stored in a secure place, otherwise they would have gone missing.
On completion of discharge we went on a flight back to the UK ending there just before New Years. The cadet I mentioned earlier was supposed to go to the Sailors home but I could not think of that so he came home and stayed with us. To be continued
Lakercapt

Some time before had asked the chippy to make me a wooden box so that I might ship some of the many artifacts (and junk??) home as I was limited in the amount of personal gear I could take on the flight. One of the items was a very unusual fighting stick from the local Islands and were made before the white man came and introduced metals. The stick was drilled with many holes and into these holes sharks teeth were tied on. They had also been drilled I, don’t know how and then using human hair secured to the stick. It was a fearsome weapon and I was told the purpose was to put it between the enemies legs and pulled causing massive cuts and bleeding. I gave a loan of this very unusual item for a school “show and tell” ad unfortunately never got it back. Getting back to the point the box the chippy made was a work of art and I used it for many years as our kids toy box.
When we arrived at Geraldton a big row started as he local carpenters contended that it was their job to build the shifting boards and feeders. No loading until this was sorted out and eventually the whole thing was torn down and started again from scratch. We the crew did not mind at all as we had been adopted by the local ex-patriots who owned most of the local fishing boats that fished for crawfish. This was a type of lobster without the clays and a big export to Japan.
We had several BBQ’s and parties before we had to wish sad farewells to the very pleasant visit. The next stop was Hakata and I was looking forward to that as I was due of on vacation. In between times my new wife had set up home for us. I was surprised when I read the address on my, as it was it was only a few houses from where her parents stayed. At this village in Fife there had been a mass exodus when the local coal mine closed and there were many houses vacant. My wife being a teacher at the village school helped too.
The discharge in Hakata was done with grabs and using the ships gear and there were canvas tarpaulins n deck to catch any loose grain that might spill. The day before I was due to fly home I was walking along the deck during the meal break when one of the grabs swung and crushed me into the hatch comings. A trainee winch driver was being instructed and did not see me. I was taken to the local hospital for ex-rays etc and had all the medical staff in to look at me. I was one massive bruise from the waist to the toes. All I wanted was to get home so I did not make a fuss and next day flew to Tokyo and on the polar route to Amsterdam and then to Edinburgh. Got a taxi to me new home and did manage to carry my bride over the doorway.
Later on in the bedroom I told my wife she was in for a surprise and when I took me pants off and she saw the massive bruising was extremely upset. Fortunately there was no other damage and things worked well!!
To be continued
Lakercapt

Another appliance that the chief steward bought was what we named “The iron Cow”. It was a machine that reconstituted skimmed milk powder and salt free butter that tasted like real milk. On ocean going ships fresh milk ran out quickly and the alternatives were not so good until UHT milk came along. With the iron cow it tasted like the real stuff if you followed the instructions. Skimmed milk powder was cheap so that was an added attraction. The secret of success was that you had to follow the instruction exactly otherwise it was not a pleasant result. The steward in charge tried to cut corners which resulted in a dismal failure and he was really reluctant to learn.
However from Littleton we headed to Newcastle NSW (a change!!) to load coal for Japan again which was getting to be boring but our entrepreneurs in the crew were happy to load up with goods to sell in OZ.
The chippy showed where he hid his stash. In his shop there was a 44 gallon oil drum with the top cut off where parts for MacGregor hatches were kept covered in oil. Only the top part was used as underneath was a space where the goodies were hidden. To my knowledge it was never discovered.
It was an uneventful trip and after unloading it was once more to Nauru and again there was no delay but for a change it was to unload in Fremantle in WA. A trip round the top of Australia and down the West Coast to port. In Fremantle there was a rubbing bar about two feet thick about three feet blow the level of the dock. This was the bane of our lives as the waste scupper pipes would discharge on to it when the ship got higher out of the water and we had to adjust the scupper covers frequently. There was a “gentleman” who rode about on a bike checking to see there was no effluent on this bream otherwise a fine would be charged against the ship. His nick name the “The turd man”

We had a new crew member join while we were in Fremantle. A young Australian lad who was from a farming background and had the urge to go to sea much against the family wishes. They never had a connection to ships but that was what he wanted. He came straight from a boarding school and thought that being a cadet was the cat’s meow. I think he got his notions from books and it came as a shock when it was not as depicted in story books. He was the only cadet we had so there were none he could turn to for advice. As we were all Chinese crew I as first mate gave him his orders each day but that often meant working with the Bosun or Chippy.
Once more on completion of discharge it was the old familiar route of round to Port Kembla for coal to Japan. It was old hat by this time and again we sailed after a draft survey. For those who don’t know about that it is a method of figuring how much cargo is loaded using the lightship draft and comparing with the loaded draft. The deadweight is calculated using the difference. It is a bit of a hit or miss method on many occasions as reading the draft marks accurately can be subject to many factors/I could write a whole book about it as it can be quite complicated. I noticed that the fuel figures the chief engineer gave me were erroneous as they did not tally with the rest of the other deductibles but did not want cause conflict so kept quiet. It was more of the same discharging and on to Nauru once more. The young lad from Australia certainly enjoyed the sights and of Japan and the ladies who were out to please their guests (how do you keep the lad down on the farm after they have seen Japan!!).
We had a surprise too in that instead of the usual ports of discharge. It was to be Albany in West Australia. Not only that but we were to go off hire from the charterer. That caused the chief engineer a big problem as there was I had suspected there were many tons more of fuel oil on board than he reported. That would have meant the ship owners would have to pay for the extra fuel that was on board !. I was horrified to be told that the excess was to be pumped overboard during the night hours until a reasonable amount would be on board when the hand over survey was done. I could just imagine the mess on the beaches of the islands when it washed up. This criminal act was never divulged by people in the know but although I was not complicate with this act I still get a feeling of guilt.
Our arrival in Albany a big thing as the ship was a big attraction with a name like Scottish Monarch and many ex-patriots visited and we were invited to many homes. We in turn hosted a big party and had the local hotel supply an 18 gallon keg of beer as well as other refreshments. It was this case in most ports visited in Oz and NZ and our motto was, work hard and play hard. As an added attraction we paid the chief steward extra money to have the cook and steward serve a proper Chinese meal, chop sticks and all. This was enjoyed by all.
On finish discharge we went round to Fremantle to have repairs etc that were require by the off hire survey. As we were to load grain for Japan in Gerladton so shifting boards and feeders were fitted o comply with the grain regulations. The Young Cadet enjoyed his visits home and had many tales to tell (some abridged am certain)
To be continued
Lakercapt

Another appliance that the chief steward bought was what we named “The iron Cow”. It was a machine that reconstituted skimmed milk powder and salt free butter that tasted like real milk. On ocean going ships fresh milk ran out quickly and the alternatives were not so good until UHT milk came along. With the iron cow it tasted like the real stuff if you followed the instructions. Skimmed milk powder was cheap so that was an added attraction. The secret of success was that you had to follow the instruction exactly otherwise it was not a pleasant result. The steward in charge tried to cut corners which resulted in a dismal failure and he was really reluctant to learn.
However from Littleton we headed to Newcastle NSW (a change!!) to load coal for Japan again which was getting to be boring but our entrepreneurs in the crew were happy to load up with goods to sell in OZ.
The chippy showed where he hid his stash. In his shop there was a 44 gallon oil drum with the top cut off where parts for MacGregor hatches were kept covered in oil. Only the top part was used as underneath was a space where the goodies were hidden. To my knowledge it was never discovered.
It was an uneventful trip and after unloading it was once more to Nauru and again there was no delay but for a change it was to unload in Fremantle in WA. A trip round the top of Australia and down the West Coast to port. In Fremantle there was a rubbing bar about two feet thick about three feet blow the level of the dock.This was a bain of our lives as the waste scupper pipes would discharge on to it when the ship got higher out of the water and we had o adjust the scupper covers frequently. There was a “gentleman” who rode about on a bike checking to see there was no effluent on this bream otherwise a fine would be charged against the ship. His nick name the “The turd man”
To be coninued
Lakercapt

In these days before “Skype” Satellite phone calls and the internet or “facebook” there few methods of communication. We of course had the ships radio which was at first all only be by Morse code and the “Sparkie” would listen to the traffic lists sent out by Portishead Radio in the UK. Later on we were fitted with transmitters for long range communication but most of the time reception was poor. It was mainly simplex which meant one person would speak and say “over” then the next etc. Duplex came later which as an improvement. Other than that it was he written word i.e. letter writing. My wife and I used to write to each other every day so when we got to port there was a pile of mail to post or receive. II also became a habit to number the letters so you could read in sequence or note in any were missing. I big improvement was later we used cassettes. I well remember when the Commonwealth cable was completed and I phoned from Australia. She thought I was kidding when I told her I was in Oz. That was only for special occasions as it cos was one poud sterling per minute when my salary was 104 per month.
Lakercapt

Before I leave this episode about NZ I should mention that at this time the country was going through a very difficult time financially. This was because their main market for their agriculture produce was the UK. All that came to an abrupt close when the UK joined the European Common Market. That union forbid the produce from non members. Now NZ had nowhere to export all the butter, lamb, wool and many other items. In the stores many good were now not available, to buy a car you had to have a large sum of foreign currency. They were rather peeved at this but they did recover and they still have a great deal of common grounds with the UK except when the All Blacks are playing rugby against England!!
Lakercapt

Back to Port Kembla for anther load of coal and there were no changes and after a draft survey off we sailed on a now familiar route.
Each evening after I had finished my 4 til 8 watch the captain, chief engineer, second engineer and I got together for a game of cribbage which got serious and with only penny stakes it was more for fun than big time gambling. As anyone that has played this game you know that there are many rules. I tried to teach my wife but she said I was cheating so she would always lose, not true but as we all know once that is ingrained nothing on gods green earth can shift it.
After discharge we were stemmed for drydocking and that was a real workup as I had to submit a list of defects (I would not refer to them as repairs). The engineer superintendant came out from Glasgow and we had a conference to see what was in his opinion necessary. Not much according to him so I took my list and said do as you wish as did not make the list as a make work project and if there were problems later because of his omissions I would not be responsible. Got most of my list done.
When there, I got introduced to Japanese bath protocol. We foreigners would have jumped right in away which is a big no no. You had to sit on a little wooden stool and slosh hot water over yourself with a ladle thing and with a big scrubbing brush and soap give yourself a skin scraping till it was in my opinion red raw. Then you slowly lowered yourself into the bath which I am certain was hot enough to boil a lobster!! When you came out it was into a steam room for more torture before being rinsed off with cold water. Did I feel invigorated I don’t know as I did not have too many senses working by this time. When in dock I caused a major concern. When you entered a tank, which I had to do for inspections of the work being carried out. You took to take a tag that was on a board at the tank opening and pinned it on you hard hat to show how many persons were inside. There were shell plating being replaced and I checked them and instead of crawling back through the tank climbed down the staging and looked at what was going on under the blocks. Forgot all about the tag and at the end of the day the tag talley did not match so a search was made throughout the tank with no one found. Were they a more than a little upset when I remembered I had the tag still on me hard hat!! Eventually all the work was completed and off we went to, No prizes for guessing Nauru.
This time it was strait in and loaded for a place I had never been, New Zealand. We were all looking forward to visiting that marvelous country and we were not wrong. We went to the port of Littleton as a leisurely discharge allowed us to explore. As there was no weekend discharging I ask the cook to make up a picknic lunch for me and set off to walk the “Pioneer Trail” This was the route that the first settlers took to go over the steep hill to reach the Canterbury plains. These were lush lands and the town of Christchurch was found there. A few other hearty souls were climbing the trail with me and when nearing the summit I heard children’s laughter and other noises. Got to the summit rather weary and with a great deal of admiration to those first immigrants that hauled carts and al their possessions up that way.
All the children and adults had come up the easy way as a road had been built to bypass that climb. A rail road tunnel had been built from the port of Littleton to Christchurch.
We all enjoyed our stay there with very warm heated people and beautiful scenery and were saddened to leave for where else but Port Kembla to load for Japan with a load of coal.