csl selfunloader contract

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: csl selfunloader contract

Unread post by Guest »

If I read that right, he means 8 hrs in 12, 0800-2000 , the first 6 of those hours before 1700. The normal day work has always been 0800-1700

It's a blatant attempt to take all overtime away from crews. And they are trying to sell any job, any position? So are you wanting the cooks to sub in for a deckhand while cleaning out the cargo holds?? Would you like to do the probs and stats on how many get injured with that?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Any 8 hrs in 12 hrs, 8-20 first 6 worked before 17. Nobody losing job.
Please explain this schedule in landlubbers terms. :)
I don't understand what it means.

Unread post by Guest »

Seems the company did some backtracking on the 1st deal offered. Still doesn't look good but at least its human.

Any 8 hrs in 12 hrs, 8-20 first 6 worked before 17. Nobody losing job.

Not going on strike for this. Cant afford it.

Unread post by guest »

Why would you get paid for 8 hours sitting on your butt from 0900 to 1700. When you start work at 1600 and work until midnight. Shipping is a 24/7 operation. Get called when you are needed and off when you are not. As long as you are abiding CLC part 2 laws everything is by the book. Be thankful you have a job and aren't replaced by a cheaper foreign crew.
Wayne

Unread post by Wayne »

Many Algoma ships are carrying cargo for CSL. CSL was chosen to negotiate their contact first over that of Algoma. Used to be years ago if a ship was hauling cargo for a company who has its crews on strike those carrying the cargo would be considered as crossing the pick line. Why would CSL bother with their crews when another company is hauling their cargo for them.

Hope for both CSL and Algoma crews are not taken advantage of by CSL. If the self-unloader crews sign and all become GP than Algoma crews will end up with the same contract. That is what the Union is looking at.

CSL has several big contacts, so here's hoping that the company realizes the mist important assets they have are their crews.

Unread post by Guest »

Don't bet on Algoma crews just blithely crossing picket lines. Aside from the illegality of that, it would get ugly, and very fast

8 out of every 18
Brilliant
Wonder who in human relations came up with that. Aside from the scumbaggery, the human biological clock isn't wired that way. It just won't work. And it would get people hurt. Sooner, not later

Unread post by Guest »

How do you figure that Algoma employees will be crossing picket lines?
Algoma employees can't vote on a CSL collective agreement, and they haven't finished negotiating their collective agreement with Algoma.
When a ship arrives in port to load/discharge a cargo, they are not crossing a picket line.
I can assure you that the SIU members of Algoma fully support their brothers and sisters at CSL, but they are obligated to continue working for their employer.
Now they will not be able to cross a legal picket line to join a vessel.
Dbuttonporthuron

Unread post by Dbuttonporthuron »

Today Frontenac is unloading stone in Sarnia. It's the first time I have noticed a CSL ship delivering there. It's usually Algoma or Lower Lakes.
Wayne

Unread post by Wayne »

Wow! You do realize that not all crew members have even voted yet. Algoma and Lower Lakes are already hauling CSL loads. If and when they go on strike, Algoma crews are going to benefit because they won't strike. They will be actually crossing picket lines to continue to haul cargo for CSL while their brother SIU members strike as what they get will be what Algoma gives them.

Lower Lakes has a few SIU sailing and they aren't union, but, they will benefit from the contract.

Taking away free time. Crews will never kniw what hours in a given 24 hour period they will have to work. They can work them the last 8 hours in a day and the first 8 hours the next day and to make it 16 straight hours without any OT.
wawawa

Unread post by wawawa »

The company wants to delete 32 pages from our contract. Transportation and job cuts, no wage increase, work any 8 hrs in18,work anyone anywhere etc.They are posting the jobs of "all" unlicensed crew to replace us with "scabs"

Unread post by Guest »

only 6 jobs posted for the entire month of May ! does not look like they are attempting to replace 'all' of their employees.

Unread post by Guest »

The big one I have heard about is they want the ability to make the crew work any 8 hours in 24 to cut down on overtime. Also, some travel stuff and hiring practices.

Just gossip......

Unread post by Guest »

What kind of cuts/concessions is CSL looking for to make the contract so unappealing?
wawawa

Unread post by wawawa »

No doubt about it there will be a strike very very soon. This wonderful patriotic company "Canada Steamship Lines " has already posted our jobs on https://www.shipout.ca/ They say that they value their employees, really !
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

Guest wrote:Looks like Csl employees refused the company's lastest offer talk of a strike in couple weeks time
This was put out by the SIU of Canada 5 hrs ago!

Notice to all Members:
With the CSL Self Unloader contract out for vote please make sure you have cancelation insurance on all flight tickets as turn around relief jobs may be very limited should strike action be voted for.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

So does this then mean what was talked about on here weeks ago as far as some of the CSL ships heading into lay-up if a strike does indeed happen? I think I heard it said if I am correct that it would only effect the self-unloaders then and Not the bulkers. Just have to wonder then if a strike does happen, how long it would last and what impacts it would have on shipping? The CSL self-unloaders have been busy so far at least, hauling ore to Quebec along with Nanticoke as well. Some of their self-unloaders have taken a few grain loads up to St. Lawrence Ports including Montreal among a few of them. It will be interesting to see if any of the other fleets such as Algoma and Lower Lakes maybe if they end up hauling some loads that the CSL ships would have carried. Sorry if I am not on the right tracks here and making a big deal out of all this.

csl selfunloader contract

Unread post by Guest »

Looks like Csl employees refused the company's lastest offer talk of a strike in couple weeks time