csl selfunloader contract

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: csl selfunloader contract

Unread post by Guest »

Any update on the results?

Unread post by Guest »

Wayne wrote:They are being told it is much better than the other offers. Question being, if a metitator was used, normally both sides have to accept the offer, no vote. We heard union is coming on to explain the contract, not there would be a vote.
If there's a vote then they likely had a mediator not an arbitrator. A mediator helps the two sides broker a deal which still must be voted on by the membership. It's an arbitrator that listens to both sides and then issue a verdict. In a case of binding arbitration there is no vote since both sides have previously agreed that the arbitrators verdict is final.
Wayne

Unread post by Wayne »

They are being told it is much better than the other offers. Question being, if a metitator was used, normally both sides have to accept the offer, no vote. We heard union is coming on to explain the contract, not there would be a vote.

Unread post by guest »

HMMMMMMM !!

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Wonder how the members voted on that proposal so quick?
According to the SIU The members will vote starting next week.

Unread post by Guest »

Wonder how the members voted on that proposal so quick?
guest 1001100X02

Unread post by guest 1001100X02 »

Guest wrote:They are offering 2-3 weeks wages in their attempt to lure in replacements.
The hypocrisy is delicious. Crews can't get a days pay for travel, but the company will do THAT for replacement labour??

Yeah
CSL needs a boot to the face
I worked for an employer always crying poverty at contract time, but they always had enough to send via taxicab copies of the final offer. This was to ensure the workers' wives would see the offer, and apparently pressure the husbands to accept.

Unread post by guest »

SIU and Canada Steamship Lines Reach Agreement

June 1, 2017

The Seafarers’ International Union of Canada (SIU) and it’s members are pleased to announce that an agreement has been reached with Canada Steamship Lines (CSL), ending the SIU’s planned strike action against the company.
Today’s agreement is a testament to the long-standing collective agreement the SIU and CSL have shared for decades.
A Government of Canada mediator played an important role in the negotiations, assisting SIU and CSL to avoid a costly strike which would have significantly impacted both parties.
The agreement was reached this morning, June 1st, further to a bargaining session that went long into the night. The terms of the agreement will be released once members have provided an additional review and the opportunity for final sign off.
"I am very proud of the SIU membership for standing up for what those before them fought so hard to gain” said James Given, President of SIU. “ It is now time to put this behind us and focus on keeping the Canadian Domestic shipping Industry strong"

Unread post by Guest »

They are offering 2-3 weeks wages in their attempt to lure in replacements.
The hypocrisy is delicious. Crews can't get a days pay for travel, but the company will do THAT for replacement labour??

Yeah
CSL needs a boot to the face
Wayne

Update: csl selfunloader contract

Unread post by Wayne »

Update:

CSL will go on strike on June 2, 2017 at 1400. However, the Union is going to make sure CSL gets any cargo currently on board unloaded by Union crew members. The crew will then make sure that the ship is in an acceptable layup dock. Note, they can't layup in an American dock, so CSL can leave a Canadian dock where they unloaded, and take the ship to an American dock to load. For example, a ship unloading stone in Windsor can then go to Duluth, load, unload in Nanticoke and then go to Sarina to start the strike.

Many crew members were scheduled to start their Holidays on Friday, but can't because of the strike. One needs to wonder now why the Union is not following it's own practices, and making crews stay on days after they call a strike.

Company has checked with other sailors, including cadets
who aren't currently working and all have refused to cross the picket lines.
Wayne

Unread post by Wayne »

Looks like a strike and CSL going to fill with replacement crews. Crews have been told not to touch replacments or their vehicles.

Sure hope fellow sailors show some respect and don't cross the picket lines. Thunder Bay grain loaders will not load any CSL vessels.

Unread post by Guest »

Any update on the votes results ?

Unread post by Guest »

With unionised company's now having to compete with the likes of Lower Lakes and Mckiels we are going towards working conditions that are often below what regulations require. Transport Canada needs to be more involved and more knowledgeable on the regulations of day-to-day operations. Theses ships are still required to have watchmen and although the watchmen "need not be on watch" there is an extensive list of requirements that needs to be met if they are not on watch, and to my knowledge, Transport Canada has not had a good looks for those requirements since the 1980's. CSL and Algoma management are more than happy to go below regulatory requirements if they know they will get away with it. Upper lakes then Lower Lakes have proven that Transport Canada doesn't care if you have a watchman.
Besides the requirements of the Manning Regs STCW requires that certain jobs be done, such as lookout. STCW specifically states that its not the helmsman when in hand steering and its not the piloting officer of the watch in confined waters. Even with watchmen most Canadian ships on the lakes have been running without a lookout for decades and Transports Canada and the TSB never seem to catch on.
CSL and Algoma are entitled to have a level playing field with there competition and it should be Transport Canada be ensuring that that level is above the law.
Other than the regulations, the supply of workers is a major contributor to working conditions. A few years ago when the shipping companies were having to compete with the Alberta oilpatch for workers, the company's were a little more cooperative. now that there is a slump in the oil industry and the shipping companies are eyeing up foreign worker permits if there is a shortage they are feeling pretty cocky.
All of you who are reminiscing about the days when a picket line meant something should remember what happened went the mates and engineers of Paterson and CSL bulkers went on strike 16 years ago. The ships were loaded with replacement workers and kept moving. Many of those replacement workers got permanent jobs out of it, the unions didn't punish their own members who crossed and even welcomed some as new members along with their dues. The Paterson mates who went on strike and walked off on the instruction of their union were finally declared to have quit, because their union didn't process the paperwork properly.
It would serve many sailors, senior officers included, to be more informed and knowledgeable on regulations and history. Don't just rely on rumors or someone else's opinion, including mine.

Unread post by GuesT »

A lot of "I think this, I think that". Unless you have worked on one of our ships or seen our contract you have no idea what our lives are like here. It's not glamorous ! It's not a life, it's a job. Only a certain type of person can handle it believe me. So don't try to over analyze our situation because if you don't understand then you don't have a opinion

I agree fully. Life aboard is a different life. When you sign up for that type of work there isn't the conveniences of the average every day life. But when you sign up you have signed for an agreement on hours, wages etc. When it comes to any job there is always some kind of negotiation whether Union or Non-Union. There is reasonable negotiations and then there is taking advantage of. It is easy for anyone in an office to come up with these new contracts because if they don't have it done by their 5 o'clock quitting time they just carry on tomorrow or get their overtime pay to stay and finish it. There is always something to be negotiated. There is fair and there is ridiculous. There is always give and take. Whether on land, water or in the air. It has to be fair for all. not just the company. Just my opinion
geysir

Unread post by geysir »

guest wrote:A lot of "I think this, I think that". Unless you have worked on one of our ships or seen our contract you have no idea what our lives are like here. It's not glamorous ! It's not a life, it's a job. Only a certain type of person can handle it believe me. So don't try to over analyze our situation because if you don't understand then you don't have a opinion
Many of us here have worked on ships and understand your situation. Some of us are just saying that many other companies, especially non-union companies, have crew working various hours and doing all types of work. In my 20 years on ships as deckhand and mate I always found the Lakers to be the easiest ship jobs. Even when I worked as a mate on ocean-going ships I worked 12+ hours each day, did plenty of grunt work, and was called out when needed.

Unread post by guest »

A lot of "I think this, I think that". Unless you have worked on one of our ships or seen our contract you have no idea what our lives are like here. It's not glamorous ! It's not a life, it's a job. Only a certain type of person can handle it believe me. So don't try to over analyze our situation because if you don't understand then you don't have a opinion
geysir

Unread post by geysir »

Guest wrote:If I read that right, he means 8 hrs in 12, 0800-2000 , the first 6 of those hours before 1700. The normal day work has always been 0800-1700

It's a blatant attempt to take all overtime away from crews. And they are trying to sell any job, any position? So are you wanting the cooks to sub in for a deckhand while cleaning out the cargo holds?? Would you like to do the probs and stats on how many get injured with that?
The intent probably is not to have the cooks clean cargo holds. The intent may be to have the deck crew help out in the tunnel and perhaps the engine room. Current union work rules may preclude deck crew from working where needed.

I agree that not having set hours makes for difficult sleep. However, the comments make it sound like crews normally only work 8 hours per day. Contrast that to Gulf of Mexico and ocean crews that almost always work 12 hours per day and are called out for docking/un-docking whenever necessary.

Unread post by Guest »

GUEST wrote:Lower lakes and McKeil don't have over time you work a daily rate. Set hours a day and then you'll get lighter days to balance out your hours. Why would a tunnelman or deckhand get paid if they won't tie up until after 1700. It makes no sense. Also deckhands tunnelmen and oilers don't have watches either day work or working whenever needed. If you work 16 hours then down for 6 and work for another 16 you would get OT it as per yours hours worked. As long as you have 6 uninterrupted in any 24 hours there is nothing wrong with this.
I agree. I worked for years with a flat day rate. It was better than the hourly system.

Unread post by GUEST »

Lower lakes and McKeil don't have over time you work a daily rate. Set hours a day and then you'll get lighter days to balance out your hours. Why would a tunnelman or deckhand get paid if they won't tie up until after 1700. It makes no sense. Also deckhands tunnelmen and oilers don't have watches either day work or working whenever needed. If you work 16 hours then down for 6 and work for another 16 you would get OT it as per yours hours worked. As long as you have 6 uninterrupted in any 24 hours there is nothing wrong with this.
Wayne

Unread post by Wayne »

When your watch is scheduled to be 4 on 8 off, 24/7 or you are a day worker and you work from 8 to 5, what part of sitting on your but is that?

Think about working 16 hours straight and getting 6 hours down time, then working another 16 hours. Now crews get paid OT. Now think about working 2 hours here and maybe 3 hours but you don't know when. Now try to sleep, contact family, eat, do your laundry, etc. Yes, the ship is 24/7, that's why they have set watches