Algoma Strongfield

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Algoma Strongfield

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that Algowest as I see they are stopped at CIP 15 as I type this now and they were due at Lock 8 early Thursday morning but that may now change? Port of Hamilton website had them as departing around 12:30 p.m. so you were right on with your time. Hopefully she will be up on Friday and make a daylight passage.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Denny - Algoma Strongfield departed Hamilton at 1307 today. Next destination shows Duluth. Unless a stop is made at Welland Canal dock, expect her to be passing through Detroit/St. Clair River system Thursday evening/Friday morning.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Algoma Strongfield finally moved over to the Dofasco Pier last night at about 6 P.M. give or take to start unloading her first load of iron ore pellets. After unloading in Hamilton she is according to the Duluth Shipping News' website, scheduled to arrive at the CN Ore Dock next to load ore pellets. Does anyone know or have heard yet as to when they are expected to leave Hamilton and when they might be up here on the Detroit & St. Clair Rivers? Any information is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that update garbear as I appreciate that news along with the information as well. Like I said though in my earlier post about her, it appears that I will probably Not see her going up on her first trip to Lake Superior as I have a busy slate as usual for next week as far as appointments and cannot get out of them for anything right now! Hope to see her someday on the St. Clair River even if it is not her first trip up to Lake Superior. Like I also said and mentioned in an earlier post, I did not see the CWB Marquis or the Algoma Harvester on both of their first trips to Lake Superior but at least I got to see them later on though. Thanks again.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

She's tentatively scheduled, according to duluthboats.com, to load next Saturday at the CN ore dock in West Duluth. First trip to Lake Superior.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

More photos of the Algoma Strongfield have been added I noticed on the KYS Facebook page. A special thank you to Jeff Cameron posting those great photos on the KYS Facebook page as your photos are all very nice and excellent. Also wish to thank Malcolm Cumming on the Marine Traffic website for his excellent photo as well. Great job and photos by both individuals. Thanks again and please continue to add more photos of her to Marine Traffic and the KYS Facebook page and also here on boatnerd. I can't say it enough and thank you for the photos of the Algoma Strongfield.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Noticed today on Marine Traffic that a new photo has recently been added of the Algoma Strongfield and it is a bow photo of her as she is arriving in Hamilton at the Burlington Piers. A great photo indeed of her and thanks to the person for posting that photo. Please keep the photos coming of the Algoma Strongfield and hope to see more of them posted on various websites.
There were also 2 photos yesterday on Photos/Videos of Fans of KYS Facebook page.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Noticed today on Marine Traffic that a new photo has recently been added of the Algoma Strongfield and it is a bow photo of her as she is arriving in Hamilton at the Burlington Piers. A great photo indeed of her and thanks to the person for posting that photo. Please keep the photos coming of the Algoma Strongfield and hope to see more of them posted on various websites.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well it isn't looking very promising now for me to see her next week up here on the river as I have another busy and crazy week with lots of appointments that I just cannot cancel and get out of unfortunately for me. Sure would've been nice if the ship would've been out there this weekend! Oh well someday I hope to see her on the river even if it isn't her first ever run up here! I didn't get to see the CWB Marquis or the Algoma Harvester on their first trips up here but at least I saw them later on.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

You never know there garbear as it could happen and sure it will at some point this year! If I am correct, I think the Algoma Equinox did its first Upper Lakes Trip in late 2013 from the BNSF #5 Ore Dock to Quebec City. I recall that because there were some photos posted of her in the ice at that time in the Twin Ports. Hope all of this helps out!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Does anyone have more photos that they can post of her on any of the shipping websites? I've seen 6 of them on ship spotting.com and three on the KYS Facebook page but, only one stern shot so far of her on the Marine Traffic website. The ones that Marc Piche took are both on the KYS Facebook page and Ship Spotting. I would've thought the sites would have more photos of her? Perhaps maybe once she has departed Hamilton and is in the Welland and heads to the Upper Great Lakes soon. Looking forward to seeing more photos of her and seeing in person myself soon. Please keep the photos along with any and all updates of her coming. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
I'm hoping with all the ore being hauled from the Twin Ports/Two Harbors this year by Algoma boats, we'll see her here on her first trip to Lake Superior.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Does anyone have more photos that they can post of her on any of the shipping websites? I've seen 6 of them on ship spotting.com and three on the KYS Facebook page but, only one stern shot so far of her on the Marine Traffic website. The ones that Marc Piche took are both on the KYS Facebook page and Ship Spotting. I would've thought the sites would have more photos of her? Perhaps maybe once she has departed Hamilton and is in the Welland and heads to the Upper Great Lakes soon. Looking forward to seeing more photos of her and seeing in person myself soon. Please keep the photos along with any and all updates of her coming. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that update Sam it is much appreciated. Darn it then that doesn't sound promising then for next week for me that is when she departs Hamilton for the Upper Lakes. I sincerely hope and pray she is Not up next Tuesday on the rivers as I have to go and see a doctor next Tuesday and there is absolutely No way that I can get out of this one as much I'd like to! So hopefully when she leaves Hamilton and heads this way, she will be up here then on either Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes as far as when she will be here next week. Again, thanks for that update Sam as I appreciate that!
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

The Algoma Strongfield will be in Hamilton on the 6th of June. She will have a short lay-up of one week to remove the "Great Walls of China" the 6 foot walls that was added to her deck for the crossing.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks everyone for helping me out on the Algoma Strongfield as I have been tracking her every move so far through the Seaway on her first trip to Hamilton. Can't wait to see and photograph her for myself and hoping beyond hope that she makes a daylight transit up the St. Clair River for this Saturday! Can't go out to the river for Friday but, if she will be up this Saturday then I will be there just as long as it doesn't rain I hope. 3 Long and 2 Short to the crew and captain of the Algoma Strongfield and have a good and safe first trip and journey. Welcome home as well and a job well done!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Some great shots of the Algoma Strongfield on the Photos/Videos of Fans of KYS Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 605&type=3
Port Colborne

Unread post by Port Colborne »

Marine traffic shows her underway, due Hamilton June 6-2017
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Anyone know or hear where they are headed to after they load in Pointe Noire? I assume at some point possibly that they may go to Hamilton and unload but, not sure if this load from Pointe Noire is headed there or not? There is nothing mentioned so far on the Port of Hamilton's website as far as her arriving there anytime soon to unload any ore cargoes. Any information is appreciated. Thank You.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Algoma Strongfield's Canadian registration popped up this morning while I was looking at the Transport Canada web site. This was about Eastern Time.
So the ship is now Canadian - presumably while tied up in Pointe-Noire. This means a Canadian crew must be there to take over the ship.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

there is a ferry that crosses long island sound that is us registered us crew but the vessel was owned by northumberland ferries from pei and built in pictou ns
It took, literally, an Act of Congress in 1998 to get the Prince Nova, now the Susan Anne, on Long Island Sound, through a concerted effort by the Connecticut state government and its congressional contingent. As I recall the state wanted improved ferry service to New York but no existing American ferries were available or suitable and the cost to build was prohibitive, or so was the argument. The only stipulation was that either three times the vessel's purchase price or $4.5 million, whichever was greater, had to be spent in an American shipyard to rebuild the vessel. The Wronowski family owns Cross Sound Ferry and Thames Shipbuilding, the yard that did that work. The Wronowski family was very grateful!
Attachments
Wronowksi.png