Ford Stack Markings

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
BigRiver

Re: Ford Stack Markings

Unread post by BigRiver »

Port Colborne

Unread post by Guest »

dwors office was on welland street behind the r & p dock
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

What company is Dwors scrapyard?
ivan

Unread post by ivan »

dwors scrapyard at one time had the logo from a ford vessel for sale probably still in the long weeds behind their office
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

I'm almost certain the funnel was in the process of being painted. In his book The Ford Fleet longtime Ford Marine Operations Manager Clare J. Snider said (and I'm extrapolating from surrounding text since no explicit date is given) that in 1966 after determining a deep blue would be the new corporate identity the Ford "Corporate Identity Office" turned its attention to the fleet, and insisted the hulls be painted blue, which Snider rejected. The compromise was that the hulls would remain black but everything above deck, except the cabins, would be blue, including a new funnel marking design. So, since this decision was made in 1966, I think you see the William Clay Ford in the process of acquiring its new "corporate identity."

Ford Stack Markings

Unread post by Guest »

Was there a period of time when the Ford Motor Company had an overall blue stack color scheme sometime between the transition from the yellow/black markings to the blue stack with the white stripe? I ask because I recently acquired a slide dated 1966 that has the William Clay Ford with an overall blue stack with no white stripe. Could this have possibly been taken while the stack was being repainted with the new markings or did the Ford fleet operate for a short period with an overall blue stack? The photo appears to have been taken in the early spring, so I thought it might be possible that the crew had not finished updating the markings. I have attached the image in question.
Attachments
P08071vfr.jpg