Edwin H. Gott Lifeboat missing

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Edwin H. Gott Lifeboat missing

Unread post by Guest »

I guess we do have lifeboats on the csl laurentien,they are right out there on the poop deck port and starboard side,well the last time I looked they were fire and lifeboat drill every month as does the rest of the csl fleet
geysir

Unread post by geysir »

If the Speer just has life rafts then it would also need to have a rescue boat. A RHIB boat would qualify as the rescue boat. I worked on a 230-foot research vessel (ex-NOAA Mt Mitchell) that has that setup.
JT

Unread post by JT »

As inland vessels, they are not required to have lifeboats under STCW rules. Some Canadian boat have never had lifeboats, like the Algolake, CSL Niagara, RT. Hon. Paul J Martin, CSL Assiniboine, CSL Laurentian, and they are starting to disapear on some American ships, as many of those lifeboats no longer meet safety standards
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Speer also has her port lifeboat removed as well if you look at any photos of her for 2017! This must be something that the fleets are doing different now and changing? Think I saw and read about this a while back as many of the ships from the GLF fleet had their lifeboats removed and in place something different. Not sure what type of thing the boats use now but, many have now removed their lifeboats for the new type of craft. Remember also the new CSL ships the Trillium self-unloaded a had lifeboats at the stern and then they were all removed and now they use a newer type of lifeboat or at least something like that. Hope all this makes sense and helps out.
ronvond

Edwin H. Gott Lifeboat missing

Unread post by ronvond »

Has anyone else noticed, the port lifeboat seems to be missing in the recent photos of the Gott. Since that's their only lifeboat, I'm confused. There is a rhib in about the same position.