Boatnerd in training

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
JohnH

Re: Boatnerd in training

Unread post by JohnH »

And now that Parker has the flag, he brought it up to the Soo and got a salute from the James R Barker. See the attached YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wZtmEoZ0yo
JohnH

Unread post by JohnH »

Here is the Facebook page showing the flag.
Attachments
Parker flag.jpg
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

That is so cool! Imagine Parker, years down the road, following his dream and like Lee A's captain, Steve Hughes, becoming master of a ship!
JohnH

Unread post by JohnH »

Interlake Steamship Company just had a contest on their Facebook page to give a flag from the Lee A Tregurtha to whoever got the most votes. Boatnerd-in-training Parker Grant won the flag! Wouldn't it be great if it could be arranged to have the Captain of the LAT give him the flag.

Unread post by Guest »

I hear you on the difficulty of viewing the boats at the ore dock at Superior. There is a road that leads to the east side of the Superior Entry breakwall that you can see the ships at ore dock (stern view). I have never been down there while a boat is arriving or leaving but I believe you could get some good views during a transit of the entry canal. I'm not sure if the ships turn around before departing or back out of the entry into the lake and then turn around. I have only been to Duluth/Superior three times (all within the past 5 years) so some locals may be able to give you some better hints. I have seen some photos of ships at the Superior ore dock with bow views but I'm not sure about the access to such vantage point (or its safety with children). One other note about the Superior Entry breakwall is that there is a lot more seagull population than is present at the Duluth Entry so you may want to watch where you walk and avoid leaning against anything to avoid contact with their droppings. One thing I did notice, however, is that the birds have a tendency to avoid you (at least on the occasion I was there). Also keep in mind the possibility of other wildlife in the area. I would review Google Earth or some similar mapping site before attempting to drive out there. There may also be a way to access the Superior Entry from Minnesota Point, but once again a local will have better input than I can provide. Two Harbors provides many good views of ships both at the ore dock along with coming and going. It is definitely worth the 20 minute drive from Duluth.
drydock

Unread post by drydock »

Parker,

I hope you saved me a piece of cake to eat at the Dry Dock! Have fun watching boats in Duluth and we're glad to have you in the boatnerd fraternity.

Mr. Rick
JohnH

Boatnerd in training

Unread post by JohnH »

Today, Parker Grant (from near Mackinaw City) is 4 years old. He is absolutely enamored about boats. His favorite one is the Stewart J Cort, so we put a picture of it on his birthday cake. He, along with his parents, Aaron & Courtney Grant, and brother & sister, are visiting a few days in Duluth, so yesterday they tried to see the Blough, his last years favorite boat, but being at the oredock in Superior, it was not easy to get near enough to see. Today the Cort is there, same problem.
Attachments
Parker.jpg