Algoma Strongfield

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Algoma Strongfield

Unread post by Denny »

They recently loaded in Toledo and assume that they're heading now to Baie Comeau, Quebec to unload. A little off subject but I see that the G3 Marquis is headed to Toledo as well to load after having just unloaded in Baie Comeau from Sarnia.
dnpdenny

Unread post by dnpdenny »

She just steamed through the Niagara County viewing area toward the St. Lawrence.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I was just looking at duluthboats.com and they show the Algoma Strongfield loading(tentatively) in Two Harbors next Wednesday. She's currently upbound in the St. Lawrence at Montreal heading for Hamilton.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To answer a few questions from the Guests post. I will start with the first Guest and Yes, it is indeed a shame that I cannot get up early to catch the Algoma Strongfield along with the Whistler as well. The Whistler I have never seen her out along the river and the Algoma Strongfield would be a new one for me as well. I will get up at 6 A.M. though whenever I usually go to the river for a day for boatwatching. However with my Mom's surgery scheduled for this week, as I mentioned before I have to be up very early for that one at 4 A.M. and that will be a very long day! The point is that I will need all the rest and sleep I can get. Besides most all of the boatnerds are posting their photos to the KYS Facebook page anyway so, if I miss something I know I can always go their to see it anyway. Now as for the second Guest and his comments about the Algoma Strongfield, okay sure she is not as handsome looking as the older style classics but at least it is something to see and on her first downbound trip yet! I live 40-50 miles from the river and unlike some that live near the river, I have to travel that distance just to see a boat period! The point I am trying to make is for all that live at or near the water count your blessings that you are at least able to live at or near the water and see the passing ships.

Unread post by Guest »

Getting up at 7 am to see a very average straight deck boat is totally out of the question ! her lines are just not worth the effort.

Unread post by Guest »

It is a shame that you will not be getting up early as if you did you could see both her and Whistler, Denny. Whistler in case you didn't know is a Canfornav saltie headed for Bilboa, Spain. Sorry to get off subject here.

Unread post by Guest »

Looks like around 0400 Wednesday at Port Huron.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks garbear as that is what I figured. Sorry to say that I won't be getting up that early for that boat as I am not an early bird type of person. On an off subject back in April when my Mom was to have had her surgery done, I had to get up that morning believe it or not at 4 A.M. and I will leave the rest for all you boatnerds to figure out as far as how I felt getting up at that hour of the day!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I'll take a stab at it. I'll say roughly about 07:00 give or take your time tomorrow morning.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just curious if anyone might have any guess or an ETA for her as far as them being at Port Huron tomorrow? I am guessing that they will probably be an early bird special in the morning sometime as they were at the Soo I think early this morning? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck seeing her.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The departed Duluth this morning at 0439 per Marine Traffic and their website. Should be at the Soo sometime in the morning hours on June 20 and be on the St. Clair River in the morning on June 21 as well. Would love to be there on Wednesday to see and catch her but, can't do it since my Mom is going in for back surgery later on this week drats! Never fails as I am missing more in 2017 than I am seeing these days. Please keep those pictures coming though of her and any other and all Great Lakes/Seaway ships this year as I sure do appreciate them. As I mentioned before in my earlier posts, hopefully I will get to see her sometime in the 2018 season. Good Luck to everyone as far as tracking and photographing her.
JohnH

Unread post by JohnH »

Go here to get a video of her entering Duluth.

www.duluthharborcam.com
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Heads up to all boatnerds. According to the Marine Traffic website, the Algoma Strongfield once loaded up in Duluth with ore pellets is headed to Quebec City to unload and her ETA for Quebec City is on June 24 at 0200 hours at the moment. So far she is still loading at the CN Ore Dock in Duluth as I type this now on June 18, 2017 at 9:55 p.m. so, yous all better have your cameras ready and also have your batteries checked and keep spare ones on the side as the Algoma Strongfield will soon be headed back in your direction! Good Luck everyone in catching and photographing her as I will in all likelihood probably miss her and not see her until sometime in 2018. However, as I keep asking folks "Please keep on taking any and all photos of her and keep on sending them to boatnerd and other various ship tracking websites as well." Thanks everyone!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yup and I was fortunate enough to see her on the Duluth camera coming in as well! The only thing though is I wish I knew of a way to have saved the images somehow as I can't seem to figure out how to do that one on my PC and I-Pad devices. Please Do Not tell or explain how to do it as I take it with a grain of salt and it is what it is as far as me trying to save the images. Just glad to get to see her on the video camera coming into Duluth on her first trip ever to the Twin Ports. Probably won't get to see her now in person until in 2018 sometime and I still got to see her twin and sistership as well the G3 Marquis! I saw it once in 2015 as the CWB Marquis but not since they've renamed her. Great job by the way on all of the folks that have sent in photos of her on the various websites and way too many to list and include so a huge and hearty Thank You to all that have sent in photos of her and please don't stop with them and keep the photos coming of her. Good Luck in seeing her all!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

She arrived thru the Duluth piers around 5:30 a.m. Central time on Father's Day.
JT

Unread post by JT »

might pass through Port Huron around sunrise
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Looks like a nighttime transit of the Detroit River.
canalwatcher Barry

Unread post by canalwatcher Barry »

There are generally two departure or arrival times shown for Hamilton - for departures/arrivals Hamilton website lists the vessel time at the dock, while the vessel lists the time they arrive at or depart the piers. Algoma Strongfield stopped off of Port Weller for compass adjustment and entered the piers at 1716. She is currently raising in lock 1 at 1840. Hope this helps clarify the time differences.

Unread post by Guest »

Holding off CIP15 and having her magnetic compass adjusted.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As I type this now at 5:50 p.m. on June 14, they have arrived at the Port Weller Piers at 1726 and their ETA for Lock 1 right now is at 1739 which I am 100% certain they should be there by now at least. Their tentative ETA for Lock 8 right now according to the Seaway website has them at 0309 on July 15. Anyone care to try and do some ETAs for the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers? Will try and keep track of her as best as we can. Not making any guarantees that I will see her though as the weather forecast is Not favorable with T-storm chances in the mix for both Thursday and for Friday. Don't like to go out by the river and get caught in any storms or rain and believe me when I say I've had that happen to me a few times in the past. Good Luck with anyone trying to catch her and please keep those photos coming on the various tracking websites!