Two harbors shiploaders

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
garbear

Re: Two harbors shiploaders

Unread post by garbear »

Good video that shows the shiploader shuttle conveyor at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMXu0t9MX0E
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Kokomojoe21 wrote:Is the South side of #2 a different kind of loader? I assumed they were all chutes at Two Harbors.

Thank you for your responses. I'm learning through your sharing.
South of #2 is a shuttle conveyor dock. Here are some pictures I found on Bing. Just scroll thru, several shots of the dock.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
Kokomojoe21

Unread post by Kokomojoe21 »

Is the South side of #2 a different kind of loader? I assumed they were all chutes at Two Harbors.

Thank you for your responses. I'm learning through your sharing.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Darryl wrote:They still use the chutes on the north side of the dock for some boats. It is cheaper to use the chutes when they can. Also, a thousand footer may have priority at the loader so the other smaller ship, may be bumped so to speak. There are other factors too, such as blast trim loaded at the North dock..
The Callaway just loaded at all 3 pocket docks this week. Started at South of #1, then went to North of #1 and finished up at North of #2.
Watched her on web cam.

Unread post by Guest »

Water is pretty deep and the bottom is rocky outside the harbor, which doesn't make for a good anchorage. If you go to the north side of the dock your crew can go ashore, you can touch up the paint, etc. Otherwise you will see boats making circles and burning fuel, rather than anchoring.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

They still use the chutes on the north side of the dock for some boats. It is cheaper to use the chutes when they can. Also, a thousand footer may have priority at the loader so the other smaller ship, may be bumped so to speak. There are other factors too, such as blast trim loaded at the North dock...
Kokomojoe21

Two harbors shiploaders

Unread post by Kokomojoe21 »

I am confused as to why the boats go into one dock, and then have to change to another. Usually they take the south of #2 when they arrive and no one else is there. Then a second freighter comes along and takes the north side of #2. When boat 1 leaves, boat 2 moves into the south side of the loader. Why do they go through the trouble of moving so often. Is the south side of #2 the only dock that can load? Does it take less time to load on the north and the south? How many of the loaders are actually in service? Are there different cargoes being loaded?
I sure would like to know more about the logistics there.
Thank you.