What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

This morning's AIS looked so promising for viewing ships from no more than 4 miles away. Two footers, an ATB, and three freighters. The two footers were a tad too far out in the lake and the ATB passed while I was at an appointment. The three freighters were caught in snow squalls, but I could make out the form of one, which made it look like a real ghost ship. Because of the snow, I decided to leave the camera at home, but within an hour, skies began clearing to the north. So, I drove to a look-out south of Harrisville and watched both the Algoma Olympic (Superior) and Lee A. Tregurtha (Marquette), against blinding blue skies, but somehow I missed spotting John G. Munson (Stoneport). Still, seeing any vessels on the horizon makes my day...any day, or night!
Bookworm

Get ready St. Clair River Boatnerds!
The anchors were lifted in the St. Mary's River system early this morning and there's been a steady parade of ships out on the horizon. I love it!
Be on the lookout for Olive Moore (Marine City); Kaministiqua (Sorel); John D. Leitch (Cote St. Catharine); Walter J. McCarthy (St. Clair); Defiance/Ashtabula (Toledo); James R. Barker (Toledo); Joyce Vanenkevort (Cleveland); John G. Munson (Detroit); American Mariner (Buffalo); and Lee A. Tregurtha (AK/Rouge).
Even though I could see most of them passing in the distance, photographing was limited. Still, the results are rather interesting of those I did.
Attachments
Red skies in the morning...  Capt. Henry Jackman up-bound to Stoneport after spending time at anchor in Tawas Bay.
Red skies in the morning... Capt. Henry Jackman up-bound to Stoneport after spending time at anchor in Tawas Bay.
Not only were the early morning skies red, there was also the appearance of gaseous clouds below the gray cover.
Not only were the early morning skies red, there was also the appearance of gaseous clouds below the gray cover.
Another one coming up from anchoring in Tawas Bay.  Her destination is Thunder Bay.
Another one coming up from anchoring in Tawas Bay. Her destination is Thunder Bay.
2017-12-06d Kami.jpg
When they ride the edge of the horizon, it makes for an interesting capture.
When they ride the edge of the horizon, it makes for an interesting capture.
Bookworm

Only a few hours ago, NOAA Weather showed wind gusts of up to 47 mph in my area. Currently, they're being clocked at 36 mph.
The few ships that are moving have left what I refer to as the "Freighter Freeway," and are hugging the coast. So far today Kaye E. Barker, John G. Munson, and Calumet have passed within camera range but Capt. Henry Jackman and G3 Marquis are anchored further down the lake, in Tawas Bay.
Attachments
Kaye E. Barker up-bound to Marquette for another load of taconite.
Kaye E. Barker up-bound to Marquette for another load of taconite.
A closer view of Ms. B.
A closer view of Ms. B.
John G. Munson with a destination of Calcite.
John G. Munson with a destination of Calcite.
Calumet plowing her way through the waves, down-bound to Cleveland.
Calumet plowing her way through the waves, down-bound to Cleveland.
Bookworm

It's been over a month since I posted vessels on the horizon. It felt good to get back out and capture these images today.
Attachments
Sharon MI and barge in choppy waters off Harrisville, up-bound to the Soo.
Sharon MI and barge in choppy waters off Harrisville, up-bound to the Soo.
Lee A. Tregurtha with taconite from Marquette for AK/Rouge. Clouds moved in as she moved south. I could see her but getting a crisp image eluded my camera's capabilities.
Lee A. Tregurtha with taconite from Marquette for AK/Rouge. Clouds moved in as she moved south. I could see her but getting a crisp image eluded my camera's capabilities.
Much closer to my vantage these geese stretch way back along the beach.
Much closer to my vantage these geese stretch way back along the beach.
Bookworm

In addition to the intermittent rain squalls, this afternoon brought another surprise. Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder, like fleet mate Hon. James L. Oberstar, was also on her way to Calcite. About an hour behind her, Philip R. Clarke, destination Stoneport, was barely discernable on the horizon.
Attachments
Off Harrisville
Off Harrisville
Bookworm

It's been awhile since I've seen activity close enough to photograph, but this morning I noted Capt. Joe & crew were up-bound to Calcite, so grabbed the camera and took off! They were riding the horizon, but that plume showed nicely! Weather is still dreary and drizzling, but winds have died down to almost nothing on upper Lake Huron.
Attachments
The scenic view
The scenic view
The zoom view
The zoom view
Bookworm

Rather gloomy morning with the potential for rain when, out on the horizon, Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder caught my eye, up-bound to Calcite with a late afternoon/early evening ETA.
Attachments
2017-08-27 DAP.jpg
Bookworm

Driving past Tawas Bay, spotted tug Gregory J. Busch and work barge.
Attachments
Lots of personal watercraft in the area, as well.
Lots of personal watercraft in the area, as well.
Bookworm

This is for those of you going through stormy times in your life, to give you hope and encouragement. Blessings, Bookworm/Dawn
Attachments
Threatening skies gave way to torrential rains.  When it was over, I headed to the lake and waited...and waited...and waited for a rainbow.  There was a faint one, but too faint to photograph.
Threatening skies gave way to torrential rains. When it was over, I headed to the lake and waited...and waited...and waited for a rainbow. There was a faint one, but too faint to photograph.
So, I started home and looked back to see this stunning rainbow.  Had to quickly find a good vantage, but did.  The camera never records what I see as far as colors go.
So, I started home and looked back to see this stunning rainbow. Had to quickly find a good vantage, but did. The camera never records what I see as far as colors go.
Bookworm

Recently realized it is as far for me to drive from here to Port Huron (5 hours) as it was to drive to Port Huron from my former home in Ohio!
Needless to say, I really appreciate the photos posted by those fortunate to have the up-close-and-personal experiences with ships. I really miss that.
Another challenge for me is not having a camera with the old-fashioned view finder. Trying to spot something on the horizon with a viewing screen -- which is reflecting back my frustrated expression -- is a royal pain!
But, this morning I followed Olive L. Moore and barge Lewis J. Kuber from Harrisville State Park to the AuSable Harbor and hope you enjoy the photos. Couldn't ID the vessel in the last pic though.
Attachments
Sorta looks like a ghost ship.
Sorta looks like a ghost ship.
Forty-five minutes later.  A bit closer  and clearer.
Forty-five minutes later. A bit closer and clearer.
Anyone recognize this?  Not on AIS.
Anyone recognize this? Not on AIS.
Bookworm

A wicked storm blew through this afternoon, and once it passed, I went out looking for a rainbow. But instead of a rainbow, these two vessels crossed my camera lens.
Attachments
Sharon M and barge, down-bound to Bay City
Sharon M and barge, down-bound to Bay City
Looked like they were on a chase, but a few minutes later, they stopped still, north of the Oscoda Marina.
Looked like they were on a chase, but a few minutes later, they stopped still, north of the Oscoda Marina.
Bookworm

Sunny and warm on the "mitten" today. Perfect weather to get this shot of Alpena down-bound to Bay City.
Attachments
2017-07-04 Alpena.jpg
Bookworm

As I monitored Marine Traffic AIS this afternoon, I became aware of Algosteel's track as she rounded the "Thumb," up-bound. She was angling more to the NW than is usual, and I had hopes of seeing her on the horizon. Well, I got my wish -- although she was still a bit far out for a crisp shot.
Attachments
Destination says, Bruce Mine
Destination says, Bruce Mine
The cloud formations, in every direction, were so fascinating to watch!
The cloud formations, in every direction, were so fascinating to watch!
2017-06-18b Cloudscape.jpg
Over the Oscoda pier.
Over the Oscoda pier.
Bookworrm

Unread post by Bookworrm »

Boat56 wrote:Where at were you when you took the photo? I seen it as well passing Oscoda this morning.
On the Oscoda boardwalk.
Boat56

Unread post by Boat56 »

Where at were you when you took the photo? I seen it as well passing Oscoda this morning.
Bookworm

Soft morning light and Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder up-bound to Stoneport. What a way to start the day! Watched her (down-bound) and Olive Moore (up-bound) meet and pass two nights ago.
Great way to end the day, too!
Attachments
2017-06-16 Dorothy Ann & Pathfinder.jpg
Bookworm

Late afternoon found tug Zeus with barge Deegan up-bound from the Saginaw Bay to Ludington. Strangely, although I could see Zeus, there was quite a distance between her and Deegan, and I couldn't get both in a photo.
Attachments
2017-06-14 Barge Robert F. Deegan.jpg
Bookworm

Really love it when ships -- usually coming to or leaving Saginaw/Essexville -- come this close to land.
Attachments
American Integrity up-bound to Duluth (Duluth Shipping News Schedule) on a warm June evening.
American Integrity up-bound to Duluth (Duluth Shipping News Schedule) on a warm June evening.
Bookworm

Here's my view (aided with zoom) of Michipicoten as she headed down the lake to Saginaw this afternoon.
Attachments
2017-06-05 Michipicoten.jpg
Bookworm

Nothing like checking AIS first thing in the morning and discovering a passing ship is within camera range. That's how my day started.
Attachments
Small details add flavor to the experience.  In this case, it was  textures in the clouds and the sun casting shadows of the boardwalk railing onto the wood flooring.
Small details add flavor to the experience. In this case, it was textures in the clouds and the sun casting shadows of the boardwalk railing onto the wood flooring.
Great Republic as seen from shore
Great Republic as seen from shore
Zoom view from the boardwalk.  She's headed to Stoneport.
Zoom view from the boardwalk. She's headed to Stoneport.