Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Howard Sprague

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Denny it is so good to hear that you are starting to think about making more runs to the river! I am glad to hear that you are going to celebrate your 25th Anniversary season and try to make more runs out to the river this season. I wish you the best of success in that and hope that you get to see every laker and saltie that you want to see "in perfect lighting conditions!"

I saw your post on Bookworm's thread about scanning photos. I do hope that perhaps you will consider doing like garbear has been doing and sharing some of the photos here with us! It would be a great treat to see your collection. I also hope that you will soon be sharing your stories with us again.

Keep your head up, my friend, as the hurt of your mother's loss will fade and leave you with nothing but the good memories of the good times shared together!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey everyone just to let you know as it has been a while again and as you might expect I've been a busy beaver of late. However I can now say that I'm happy to report to all of you that within the next week or two I plan on starting up the river full time action for my 25th and Silver Anniversary season on the river. While it is unfortunate that it came so late in the season, right now I don't care about that part of the equation as I just want to start going out there and enjoying the shipping traffic and what time I have left out there this season. I even started to work today on a great sign for the occasion which I plan to use on every trip in hopes of getting a few salutes from a few passing ships for my 25th year on the river. One of which I wish would blow is the Herbert C. Jackson as I don't ever seem to get anything out of her anymore like I used to do. Wish there were a way to ask the captain of the Jackson for a salute sometime if he's not busy and has a moment. That sure would be awesome and neat to get the Herbie to blow me one at some point! Can't wait to get it started up at some point as I am really looking forward to it. I've also had a special tribute in mind for my Mom and Dad as well and it will only happen when and if I can somehow get the PRT coming downbound and during the day at some point. Now, as long as Captain Bob can also help me out on the Big Queen and give me a really nice salute when that day comes as I could sure use one from him! When my Dad passed away in 2005, I had a special tribute for him along the river and it just so happened ironically that the PRT with Captain Tim Dayton at the time was coming downbound. It was really hard for me and I just needed Captain Timmy to do something really nice and special for me that day. Fortunately he saw me and gave me a very nice salute from the PRT and I am hoping that someday Captain Bob will do the same for me. Wish there was a way of letting him know this stuff and maybe he can blow me a nice salute if he has the time and not busy someday when we see and meet each other. Looking forward to seeing the Big Paul and the Queen someday again as I've not seen her since 2015 which is the longest I've ever gone without seeing my all time favorite and taking nothing away from any others but, you never forget the first ship you see and sure enough 25 years ago in 1992 she was the first one that I saw!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello Howard and thanks for your encouraging thoughts and words as well as I appreciate them very much. The days are still kind of rough and hard at times for me as you might expect as it's still only been a short amount of time since my Mom's passing. When my Dad passed away in 2005, at least I still had my Mom then and I lived with her at home. Now with my Mom gone, at least I still have my two brothers but one lives out of state in Colorado so I don't get to see or talk to him very much. My oldest brother has been a huge help for me but he too is busy with work but still takes time to check in with me to see how I'm doing and if I need anything. As far as making it out to the river, that's still gonna be a tough one as it will take some time but I know that I'll eventually make it back there at some point and hopefully this year yet! Last Friday I was so very close to making a trip and ironically the Big Paul was there and going up and not seeing her since 2015, I wanted very badly to see her. Well I woke up that morning and could not locate my PRT hat since I last used it in 2015. With everything going on with my Mom in the last two months, just could not find time for other things. Fortunately I found the hat but then I backed out and cancelled the trip as it was just too busy and crazy with Ship traffic on Friday morning! It would not have been fun for me as I would've been missing and chasing ships up and down the river all day long and my family and I definitely don't need anything like that especially now with my Mom's passing and not being out there as much. So bottom line is last Friday I just didn't feel like I was ready yet and that I needed more time. Friends and family all agreed and told me, "Don't feel ashamed or that you disappointed yourself or others by not going to the river!" Just be patient and to wait and eventually your time will soon come again at the river soon. So I'm hoping to start up for real about mid-September and go to about mid-November as I don't go beyond that point as by then, the weather is starting to change and the days are much shorter also. Basically all I can do now is just do the best that I can with it and to take it one step and Day at a time. Thanks again for thinking of me.
Howard Sprague

Hello Denny my friend,

I just wanted to tell you that you're still in my thoughts and I hope you are doing well and the days are getting easier for you. I hope that you will soon be getting back out to the river. Take care my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks to both Andy and Linda in Wisconsin as I will keep your Mom in my thoughts and prayers. So sorry to hear the news about your Mom being in hospice care. May your Mom be at peace from all of her suffering and may you and Linda both find comfort knowing that she will be going to a better place, a place to where there is no pain and suffering ever again! To Andy and Linda as it was with me, always know that you did your best for your Mom and she will always and forever be proud of you both no matter what and where your life's journey may take you. Our Heavenly Father and his beloved Son our Lord and Savior has a plan for your Mom. Praying for your Mom and for you and your family that you may find peace and comfort and know that you have friends here on this board. God Bless you both!
c ships

Unread post by c ships »

Denny and family we our sending our condolences to you respectively. I had followed your posts and prayed for you. My mom is in hospice care right now with days to live. Lots of tears being shed. We just want peace and her suffering to end. We know how you feel. Thank you for sharing your stories, it helps bring comfort to others and we hope brings comfort to you and your family as your not alone. Remembering Mom with happy memories. I will cherish. Our deepest sympathy to you Denny and family. Respectively Andy n Linda. Wisconsin.
Howard Sprague

What a touching and heartfelt post, Denny. Thank you so much for sharing that with us all.

The days ahead will get better, my friend. I hope that you are healing and find your way back to the river my friend. Keep your chin up and know that better days are ahead of you and you will soon be at 500 visits to the river. I also hope that in honor of your dear mom you can find it in your heart to start up on your stories again as I and many others were enjoying them immensely. Take care my friend.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey everyone just to let you all know that if you wish to do so, you may sign my Mother's Guest book and leave any type of message or wishes for both my family and I at anytime. You can find the obituary on her by going to Wujek-Calcaterra & Sons Inc. I believe it is and eventually after doing a search, you hopefully should be able to find it there. Just to give you all a quick note of things, as you can imagine it was very hard and difficult and still is today as I especially struggle at times and I also have breakdown moments as you also might expect as it will take a long time to get over losing her but, I know in time the pain does and will go away but you never truly get over losing a loved one so close and dear to you as your parents because you only get one father and mother in life and when one or both are gone it is one of the hardest things to endure but the love that our parents show onto us is one of the many memories that we all must keep within our hearts as so they are in us so we are always in them as well. When we met at our parish church last week and talked to the priest to finalize things, we still needed to have someone do my Mom's euology for her and as you might expect my two older brothers just couldn't come to terms with that decision. I think that some sort of spirits if you will came to me last week as I just had this vision in my mind that I could do it and visionalized how. So after sitting and listening to each of my brothers talk, I therefore told them "I will do this as I feel it is my time and obligation to do so and to so something for my Mom and to give back to her everything that she had ever did for me!" It was then decided by my family and friends that I would deliver my Mom's eulogy for her however, never ever doing this and not being an accustomed speaker I was very nervous and I wanted to do this right in the worst way. After talking it over with family and friends their response was "You don't worry about a thing as you will do great and just fine and to remember to speak from your heart and everything will be just fine afterward and you will do fine as well!" So, I talked about my Mom and delivered a very touching, heartfelt and warm final tribute to her and at the end I dedicated both a song and poem for my Mom. The song was from an Irish Singer named Daniel O'Donnell if anyone has ever seen or heard of him before? My Mom and I ironically went to see him live in concert near our home in 2013 and this was my gift to her for all she's done for me. One of his most popular hymn that he sings at the ending of his concerts is "How Great Thou Art" and he sings it just absolutely beautiful. I was hoping to use that song for my Mom but, unfortunately I could not find the song on any of the CDs that I had. So, I finally found "Wind Beneath My Wings" and that is what I chose and dedicated to her. If anyone has ever heard or listened to that song before, I don't think I need to say more or tell you how emotional that song is to anyone. I was also chosen to be one of her paul bearers as well and bottom line is all of my family told me "Denny, you made your parents especially your Mom proud of you and that your Mom and Dad will forever be proud no matter what you do and whereever life's journey may take you!" It was just so comforting to me hearing those words from my family as I always knew that I made my parents proud of me no matter what I did in life. My family has also said "Don't be afraid to reach out for help along with friends and neigbors as well because that is what we're here for!" So I have contact numbers so I am okay and everyone has also told me "Don't you worry as you will be well taken care of from now on and forever and my family is right as I have a great and wonderful family of aunts, uncles and cousins but just as important I have two great and wonderful brothers and we are always there for one another and I also have many great friends and neighbors including many of you here on boatnerd as well. You don't know how comforting it is for me to have friends and folks like you all to help get me through this and the hard and difficult times and days ahead. Of course the holidays this year will be the most difficult as I know I will get through it somehow and special days like her birthday, along with my parents anniversary and their passing dates will always be difficult days but I know I will get through it somehow. Thanks again to everyone on this board that have sent special prayers and wishes along with your comments as well as all of your encouraging words and faith have been a huge uplifting for me and I cannot thank you all for the love that you've shown for me here. As far as going out to the river is concerned, YES most definitely I will continue that but at this time though my family is recommending I just take things slow and easy at first as the last 8 weeks with my mom in the hospital and the constant running back and forth has just been brutal on my family and I as you might expect so we are slowly trying to unwind and get our lives back in order as best as we can. The main thing is at least now my Mom is finally at peace forver and reunited with my Dad as well and that she will never ever be in any pain or for that matter suffering ever again. Thanks again to all of you.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

My condolences Denny, I'm very sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
Rob W

Re: Denny

Unread post by Rob W »

I would also like to offer my condolences Denny, may the lord be with you at this time and guide her home.
cloahsark

Unread post by cloahsark »

Very sad to hear, my condolences .
Pazzo

Unread post by Pazzo »

Denny, in this tough time, know that my condolensces and those of countless others are being poured out to you. I regret to hear about such news and I extend my thoughts, wishes and prayers so that you may live in hope and memory of the legacy your mother leaves behind.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny,
Keeping you and your family in thought and prayer as you go through this time of sorrow.
Dawn
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Denny, Very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Let me express my sympathies at this time. Please take care. I understand, for my dear Irish Mom passed away in January, and too, join my father. D.
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

Sorry to hear about your mom Denny will be sending thoughts and prayers your way. Hope you are doing ok and hang in there Denny.
MattJ

Denny

Unread post by MattJ »

My Condolences to you Denny on the passing of your Mother!
Matt Jones
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny-So sorry to read of your Mom's passing. It is a difficult time to go thru. I lost my Dad in 1983 and my Mom in 2002. It was tough because I was living in Duluth and they were in Michigan. I know what you are dealing with. You can know your Mom and Dad are together again for eternity. My deepest sympathy to you and your entire family.
Gary
Howard Sprague

Terribly sorry to hear of your mother's passing, Denny.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to everyone and all my fellow boatnerds and friends as it is with deepest sadness that I must inform and tell you that today my Mom passed away this morning while in hospice care. It is a very hard and sad day for my family and I as you all can imagine and I am coping and dealing with the loss of Mom as best as I can and I also have my two older brothers to help who have been exceptional and wonderful in helping me get through this most difficult time in my life! It is never an easy thing losing one you love especially one or both of your parents as I'm sure that many other here on this board that read this post can attest. However, it is very comforting to know that she is now in heaven with my Dad and at peace and will never ever have to suffer or be in any pain ever again that's for certain. She has now been called home by God and our Lord and I know that she is safely in God's arms and in his home forever at peace! This week as you all know and can expect will be a very hard and difficult week for my family and I as we prepare to say our final goodbyes to your beloved Mother. I would however like to take the time and opportunity to thank everyone here on this board and with boatnerd for all of their love, kindness, generosity and heartfelt message and prayers as you can never imagine how much they've meant to me and my family at this most difficult time and moment. You all have been exceptionally helpful throughout all of this and I can't say thanks enough for all of your help with this. For as we all know when we lose a loved one, it is never easy but life must go on and as we know it will indeed go on for me as I will forever keep the memories of my parents in my heart and I don't care what anybody says, "Memories can Never be taken away from anyone that is for certain!" My late friend Dick McNeil in Saginaw once told me after my Father's passing, "The pain of losing a loved one so close and dear especially your parents will go away in time but there will also be a hole and emptiness type of feeling in your heart though!" I do know that someday and in time the pain of losing my Mom will go away although life will now be different without her presence but, I also know that she will always be with me as is with my Dad and they are looking down from heaven and are very proud of me and I know that I as well always tried to do my best to make them proud. For I will continue to live my life as best to the fullest as I know that's what they would want for me to do and also to continue my love and passion of the Great Lakes Freighters and ships along with continuing when I can to make trips out along the St. Clair River to see them. That much I can tell you will never die for as long as I live and am healthy enough to do it, I will continue that tradition now and forever and will always be certain to dedicate each trip and any and all ship salutes in memory of my parents. I do know also that in time better days and happier days will come for me and along the St. Clair River as my time will someday come again out there. As I mentioned before in an earlier post, it is so comforting and rewarding to know that I have many friends here on this board that I have made along with corresponded with throughout the years. Rest assured that in time I will also be back on the News Page posting news stories as well for all of you and providing pictures as well. It may be a while so I hope you all understand but, again rest assure that someday I will be back full time here on this website. I would however like to take the time and opportunity to thank Jake H for now doing the Port Reports in my absence as I truly and greatly appreciate and value his time that he's taking in doing those reports. As anyone can tell you it is definitely not easy doing those reports daily and for that again I thank Jake for his time and for volunteering to do those. Thanks again everyone and God Bless and Keep the Faith as well!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know that today was another rough and hard day on us seeing and visiting my Mom. She briefly opened up her eyes and saw from what I can gather both my oldest brother and I standing on each side of her. However, now she can't communicate any longer which is making even more harder on us. We both gave her a kiss and told her that we loved her and that's it. She is now being moved into hospice care and unfortunately now her journey and life as we know it here on Earth will soon be ending but as we all know, her journey into Heaven hasn't yet begun and we all know that someday she will be resting in a much better along with more comfortable place that where she is now and that she will someday no longer be in any pain or suffering and that one day she will finally be at peace with all of this and that is basically what we all want at this point is for my Mom to be at peace someday from all of her suffering because nobody deserves to suffer like what my Mom is going through right now and I don't mean to say anything offensive and if I did I deeply apologize for saying that. Within the next week or so I suspect that her time and passing will take place and I know when that time does come, it will not be an easy thing as losing your loved one especially your parents is one of the hardest things to ever have to endure and I am sure I am not alone as far as the feeling of losing your parents. But again it is comforting to know that my Dad is now in a better place and soon my Mom will be as well. I have full faith and trust and confidence in our Lord and Saviour and our Father's decision regarding my Mom as I know they have a plan for her and I trust in God's will for my Mom and his plan for her. Thanks everyone again for your thoughts and prayers and words of encouragement as I appreciate them all. It is so comforting to know that I have many friends that I've made and connected with throughout the years here on this forum and you all have helped me out tremendously through this difficult time in my life and for that I can never thank and repay you for that. God Bless and Keep the Faith and always count your blessings also.