Stoneport & Calcite activity

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Stoneport & Calcite activity

Unread post by Bookworm »

Nice parade of ships visiting Calcite today.
Attachments
LAT in the process of loading at the south dock.
LAT in the process of loading at the south dock.
American Mariner enters the channel.
American Mariner enters the channel.
American Mariner inches into the north dock.
American Mariner inches into the north dock.
St. Clair at anchor in the bay.
St. Clair at anchor in the bay.
St. Clair eager to take the now vacant south dock as LAT departs for Superior.
St. Clair eager to take the now vacant south dock as LAT departs for Superior.
Bookworm

Checked AIS before heading to Alpena for the afternoon. Herbert C. Jackson was in the process of arriving at Stoneport so went directly there -- an hour-and-a-half drive. Unseasonably hot for late September and even hotter temperatures are forecast for tomorrow. Guess summer realized autumn is scheduled to return soon, and decided to put in a late appearance!
Attachments
Herbert C. Jackson at the LaFarge Stoneport facility.
Herbert C. Jackson at the LaFarge Stoneport facility.
Bookworm

Perfect weather for a trip to Calcite, but my timing wasn't the greatest. Seems recent heavy rains washed out the drive to the public viewing platform and it was blocked to both vehicles and foot traffic. Not to be thwarted, I discovered another vantage point -- and a lot of fossil rocks along the beach.
Attachments
This example of vintage machinery is displayed by the main entrance.
This example of vintage machinery is displayed by the main entrance.
Better the top half than not seeing her at all!
Better the top half than not seeing her at all!
Bookworm

Stoneport & Calcite activity

The calendar says September but the air, wind, and even rain feel more like early October. Never having lived this far north in my life, it seems strange to see touches of autumn on the leaves already. Today I ran away from home and was in-and-out of rain all day long, but I needed to do something enjoyable. First stop was Stoneport, where John G. Munson was loading and Lee A. Tregurtha waited, at anchor. Then it was on to Rogers City. Olive Moore & Menominee were at the Calcite dock there. Decided to make a first time visit to the R.C. maritime museum. Found the guides to be friendly and informative and the extensive historical displays very interesting. A personal pizza to go from the restaurant next door and I headed back to Stoneport where nothing had changed in the three hours I was gone but it was relaxing and rewarding just to sit and watch the ships.
Attachments
John G. Munson taking on a load at the Lafarge Stoneport facility.
John G. Munson taking on a load at the Lafarge Stoneport facility.
Lee A. Tregurtha at anchor, waiting her turn.
Lee A. Tregurtha at anchor, waiting her turn.
After an hour or more of clear weather, these billowing clouds  began piling up and the sound of thunder rumbled in the distance.
After an hour or more of clear weather, these billowing clouds began piling up and the sound of thunder rumbled in the distance.
Olive Moore at the Calcite south dock.
Olive Moore at the Calcite south dock.
Olive Moore and barge Menominee.
Olive Moore and barge Menominee.