2017 Record Loads

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: 2017 Record Loads

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:Okay so the Gott broke the all time tonnage record carried through the Soo Locks this week just barely beating the record stood by the Speer in late July. These of course are both taconite ore pellets record loads for 2017. With these two 1,000 footers setting records for ore pellet cargoes, would be very interested in knowing along with finding out "What so far has been some of the other largest cargoes shipped out so far this season?" In other words, what is the largest coal cargo shipped so far this season in tonnage from the head of the lakes along with the largest grain or wheat cargo as well? Surely the coal trade, there has to be some loads there that are exceeding the 70,000 ton mark with the Gott and Speer both loading between 73-74,000 tons ore pellets! Back in 1997 the Columbia Star now American Century set the head of the lakes coal trade record at over 70-71,000 tons and as far as I know this one still stands today I guess? With the Equiox-class ships for Algoma and now the new Trillium-bulkers for CSL, surely those new ships have to be loading deeper as well and I have to believe we are talking loads here of well over 30,000 and more a trip for wheat! Just wish the USACE and some of the companies would make this more public but, I also understand some of the reasons to why. Would you want to let your competitors know how many tons you are loading on a ship? I think not as that would be in any business as you try not to let the competition know what you are doing. Curious only is all about the other cargoes any records this year.
I don't think secrecy would apply here. When a company hauls a record cargo it's something to publicize. It's a badge of honour and shows how efficient the company can be moving the customer's products. Besides, a ship's capacity is readily available public info and record tonnages are only relatively marginal increases in those publicized figures. Keeping a record tonnage secret has no value.

Re: 2017 Record Loads

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:Okay so the Gott broke the all time tonnage record carried through the Soo Locks this week just barely beating the record stood by the Speer in late July. These of course are both taconite ore pellets record loads for 2017. With these two 1,000 footers setting records for ore pellet cargoes, would be very interested in knowing along with finding out "What so far has been some of the other largest cargoes shipped out so far this season?" In other words, what is the largest coal cargo shipped so far this season in tonnage from the head of the lakes along with the largest grain or wheat cargo as well? Surely the coal trade, there has to be some loads there that are exceeding the 70,000 ton mark with the Gott and Speer both loading between 73-74,000 tons ore pellets! Back in 1997 the Columbia Star now American Century set the head of the lakes coal trade record at over 70-71,000 tons and as far as I know this one still stands today I guess? With the Equiox-class ships for Algoma and now the new Trillium-bulkers for CSL, surely those new ships have to be loading deeper as well and I have to believe we are talking loads here of well over 30,000 and more a trip for wheat! Just wish the USACE and some of the companies would make this more public but, I also understand some of the reasons to why. Would you want to let your competitors know how many tons you are loading on a ship? I think not as that would be in any business as you try not to let the competition know what you are doing. Curious only is all about the other cargoes any records this year.
secrets out here are few, it doesn't matter.
Denny

2017 Record Loads

Unread post by Denny »

Okay so the Gott broke the all time tonnage record carried through the Soo Locks this week just barely beating the record stood by the Speer in late July. These of course are both taconite ore pellets record loads for 2017. With these two 1,000 footers setting records for ore pellet cargoes, would be very interested in knowing along with finding out "What so far has been some of the other largest cargoes shipped out so far this season?" In other words, what is the largest coal cargo shipped so far this season in tonnage from the head of the lakes along with the largest grain or wheat cargo as well? Surely the coal trade, there has to be some loads there that are exceeding the 70,000 ton mark with the Gott and Speer both loading between 73-74,000 tons ore pellets! Back in 1997 the Columbia Star now American Century set the head of the lakes coal trade record at over 70-71,000 tons and as far as I know this one still stands today I guess? With the Equiox-class ships for Algoma and now the new Trillium-bulkers for CSL, surely those new ships have to be loading deeper as well and I have to believe we are talking loads here of well over 30,000 and more a trip for wheat! Just wish the USACE and some of the companies would make this more public but, I also understand some of the reasons to why. Would you want to let your competitors know how many tons you are loading on a ship? I think not as that would be in any business as you try not to let the competition know what you are doing. Curious only is all about the other cargoes any records this year.