Algoma Niagara

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Algoma Niagara

Unread post by Guest »

Im sure they would just set up the new ship to haul cement, I don't think they care about how hard it would be on the new build anyone in a position too worry about it will be long retired by the time problems would come up. I wonder what the lifespan of these new ships is supposed to be?

Unread post by Guest »

MEL wrote:So glad we have The Jones Act here in the USA!
A Canadian Jones act would not save our boats. Our boats are just worn out and would need to be replaced regardless.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I'm betting it will be either the Algorail or Algoway. If I am correct in what I've heard and read before, the Algorail and Algoway will end up being replaced by new 650s being built in Croatia one of which is the new Algoma Innovator at least I thought that is what I read and also heard from Algoma? I agree as the new Algoma Niagara at 740 feet in length will probably replace one of their older 730s. Just a little bit off subject but, when and if the Jackman is scrapped then what will happen as far as Algoma's cement hauling contract to St. Marys in Detroit? Will one of their newer ships get this contract and continue to haul cement or will another fleet possibly take it over? I'm just curious is all as to what Algoma plans on doing someday with that if they get rid of the Jackman someday as right now, she is their only vessel loading cement at Bowmanville and going to Detroit other than the tug Sea Eagle II of St. Marys Cement in Canada.
Judie

Unread post by Judie »

Algorail has been in Goderich all season. Algoway still working.

Unread post by Guest »

I would say that the Algoway is finished
MEL

Unread post by MEL »

So glad we have The Jones Act here in the USA!
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Guest wrote:
garbear wrote:From the Algoma Central site.

http://www.algonet.com/the-corporation/ ... se-id=4754
Which member of the current fleet is likely to be retired when this ship arrives?
Algosteel.

Unread post by Guest »

I don't think the Jackman as she received new poly sheeting on cargo hold tank tops alomg with cresswell's crankshaft
My guess would be Olympic or Algosteel
cjkoster

Unread post by cjkoster »

Guest wrote:
Which member of the current fleet is likely to be retired when this ship arrives?
I would guess the Capt. Henry Jackman given the fate of the John B. Aird and Peter R. Cresswell.

Unread post by Guest »

They couldn't come up with a better name why not just take all CSL names and just put Algoma in front of it.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:From the Algoma Central site.

http://www.algonet.com/the-corporation/ ... se-id=4754
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Algoma Niagara

Unread post by Guest »

She left china this evening on her delivery trip
Attachments
NIAGARA.jpg