Loading backups

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest 1

Re: Loading backups

Unread post by Guest 1 »

While the BNSF ship loader can load from the silos very quickly the conveyor system that feeds the dock has a rate of about 6,000ltph. So when you get back to back boats like there is now there is going to be a wait regardless of a breakdown which can make the load times even longer. Not exactly sure and some one can correct me if I’m wrong but I think CN can reclaim and shove trains directly to the dock at the same time. BN dock can only run as much material to the dock as the conveyor system can handle!
Duluthian

Unread post by Duluthian »

Any idea what’s causing the Burns Harbor’s loading delays at BNSF? Is it something as simple as frozen pellets or is it something more severe, like a failure of their conveyer system? Also, CN Two Harbors seems to be dealing with the cold weather loadings better than BNSF.

Unread post by Guest »

If you're talking about the Cleveland Cliffs CEO it's Gonsalves.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

hausen wrote:
garbear wrote:
To give a comparison, Two Harbors has loaded 28 boats in the same time frame, 17 of those being 1000 footers. Probably more tonnage than Superior.
It can be noted that CN Two Harbors can load 2 or even 3 ships simultaneously, while BNSF Superior has one loading berth.

Two Harbors often loads the highest tonnage of ore pellets per season of any Great Lakes Port.
Out of the 28 besides the loads going out on the 1000 footers there were 8 other boats that loaded at the shiploader and in that timeframe only 3 boats loaded at the gravity docks and not the shiploader. So 25 of 28 loaded at the shiploader.

Unread post by Guest »

is there any possibility of bringing back BN #1 with its conveyor system? That would only happen if Mr. Clark or Mr. Consalves project were to come into operation. ?? Mike
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

garbear wrote:
To give a comparison, Two Harbors has loaded 28 boats in the same time frame, 17 of those being 1000 footers. Probably more tonnage than Superior.
It can be noted that CN Two Harbors can load 2 or even 3 ships simultaneously, while BNSF Superior has one loading berth.

Two Harbors often loads the highest tonnage of ore pellets per season of any Great Lakes Port.
A J

Unread post by A J »

Better build another dock at Superior, boats are being held up. (Said with sarcasm)
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Ray wrote:BN#5 in Superior has been loading round the clock since at least Sept 10. (when i started paying attention the traffic.) Only break has been for a boat to depart and the next one to arrive. ANyone know what the total tonnage loaded is looking like for September? Seems like it ought to be a record, definitely approaching the maximum possible to load out of that dock in a month.

At the moment for Superior the Michipicoten is pulling it, 2 anchored in the lake waiting, and two more upbound in Lake Superior.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

BN#5 in Superior has been loading round the clock since at least Sept 10. (when i started paying attention the traffic.) Only break has been for a boat to depart and the next one to arrive. ANyone know what the total tonnage loaded is looking like for September? Seems like it ought to be a record, definitely approaching the maximum possible to load out of that dock in a month.

At the moment for Superior the Michipicoten is pulling it, 2 anchored in the lake waiting, and two more upbound in Lake Superior.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Darryl wrote:Sunday Morning: I count five anchored in the Lake between the Duluth and Superior piers. Two Ocean ships and three Lakers.
Since CSL bought the Oakglen she trades strictly on the Great Lakes/Seaway. Grain from Thunder Bay to the St. Lawrence and the ore she loads in the Twin Ports/North Shore goes to Quebec City for transshipment. She's inbound Superior as I type, replacing the Algoma Discovery that's headed for Hamilton.The Munson was supposed to join the boats waiting for BNSF #5, but she's now headed to Two Harbors.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Sunday Morning: I count five anchored in the Lake between the Duluth and Superior piers. Two Ocean ships and three Lakers.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Different grades of taconite.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

As of the moment (11pm on 9/15) there is one boat loading, 4 at anchor in the lake, and three more en route between on Lake Superior. Yet nothing loading at CN Duluth. Similarly there are regular backups this summer at Two Harbors while Duluth is lacking on traffic. Curious why there appears to be such high demand for pellets out of Superior and Two Harbors, but much less out of Duluth.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bigboat wrote:Looks like another log (boat) jam in the Twin Ports. Does anyone know if this effects the end users production or do most mills/power plants have enough of a stock pile that it doesn't effect them.
Pretty much the whole logjam is waiting on BN #5. The Silda is anchored out, but supposedly is due in Thunder Bay.
Bigboat

Unread post by Bigboat »

Looks like another log (boat) jam in the Twin Ports. Does anyone know if this effects the end users production or do most mills/power plants have enough of a stock pile that it doesn't effect them.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bigboat wrote:Seems like lately there have been a lot of backups at some docks. Just the other day Two Harbors looked like a parking lot and now I see there are 3 boats on the hook for Superior. I would assume that is costing somebody some money.
There are 12 more boats due in Two Harbors over the next 7 days.
Bigboat

Loading backups

Unread post by Bigboat »

Seems like lately there have been a lot of backups at some docks. Just the other day Two Harbors looked like a parking lot and now I see there are 3 boats on the hook for Superior. I would assume that is costing somebody some money.