Algoma Niagara

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Algoma Niagara

Unread post by Denny »

According to the Port of Montreal website, they arrived in port today and expected to depart from Montreal sometime on November 7th. Get your cameras ready now boatnerds as the Algoma Niagara will soon be passing by you! Hope to see her up on the St. Clair River sometime this year just so long as she passes through in daylight and the weather is okay. At least if I don't see her in 2017, then this will give me something to look forward to in 2018 along with seeing the Algoma Sault as well. Would like to extend a very hearty along with warm welcome and a special 3 Long and 2 Short salute to go out to the Captain and crew of the Algoma Niagara! Now a new era will soon begin with the first ever Equinox-class self-unloader making their first ever visit to the Great Lakes/Seaway system. God Speed along with God Bless to the Captain and crew with calm seas and fair winds and good luck to them as well! May you make your owners Algoma proud.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Get ready everyone as per AIS and Marine Traffic, they departed from Port Cartier, Quebec just after 10 A.M. this morning after loading its first official cargo of iron ore pellets and are currently enroute now for Hamilton to unload. Not sure yet when they are due to arrive there in Hamilton but they are now on their way! Also would like to thank as well an earlier poster for their clarification on the coal cargo they will load for the steel making process. I had a brain freeze yesterday and would never have thought of them loading from either Sandusky or Toledo for Hamilton. Probably will end up loading in Sandusky then for Hamilton then up to Thunder Bay for Grain then. Just a little bit off subject here but, does anyone know what is going on in Croatia with the Algoma Innovator? I would've thought that they would have been here by now and starting to trade in the lakes and Seaway but I don't think that they will make it here before things start to shut down for the winter? Any information is appreciated. Thank You.

Unread post by Guest »

As of 01h45 5 Nov 201 the Ship continues to load in Port Cartier. She will not only deliver Her cargo to the steel mills in Hamilton Port but also it is expected She will have Her ship plates (mid-ship bulwarks) removed in Hamilton as it was for the Equinox. I think we are all looking forward to seeing her.
Joanne
The Prescott Anchor on FB
@PrescottAnchor on Twitter
rh

Unread post by rh »

I see on AIS that the Algoma Niagara is now Canadian flagged and is waiting at the Port Cartier anchorage.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:In reading today's news reports on her, it mentions that her first load will be from Port Cartier to Hamilton and some type of coal for the steel making and then to Thunder Bay for a grain/wheat cargo for the St. Lawrence Seaway and ports there. My question mainly is the trip for coal would this be I assume Thunder Bay to Hamilton as I know the Algoma ships have done this run before? So it sounds like they will have at least two trips to Thunder Bay at least after they unload their first cargo in Hamilton if that sounds correct? Anyone have any early guesses as to when she could be up for the very first time on the St. Clair River? Is it too early to say possibly next weekend at some point? In the past I know when the new Algoma ships have unloaded in Hamilton, it takes them a while with removal of the deck stiffeners and then sometimes a christening is held there along with any type of work or possible repairs from the first trip and load also. Just curious if anyone as any early guess for her up on the St. Clair River as I would love to see her but, time is now not on my side with this weekend's time change. For me now I have to leave at 4:30 to be back home before dark as I live an hour away from Port Huron. Just as long as they pass through in daylight and it's not too early or late depending on weather as well, hopefully I can see them in 2017!
I would guess the coal cargo will be loaded at either Toledo or Sandusky assuming its going to Dofasco. They do occasionally get coal through Thunder Bay but it's far less common.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In reading today's news reports on her, it mentions that her first load will be from Port Cartier to Hamilton and some type of coal for the steel making and then to Thunder Bay for a grain/wheat cargo for the St. Lawrence Seaway and ports there. My question mainly is the trip for coal would this be I assume Thunder Bay to Hamilton as I know the Algoma ships have done this run before? So it sounds like they will have at least two trips to Thunder Bay at least after they unload their first cargo in Hamilton if that sounds correct? Anyone have any early guesses as to when she could be up for the very first time on the St. Clair River? Is it too early to say possibly next weekend at some point? In the past I know when the new Algoma ships have unloaded in Hamilton, it takes them a while with removal of the deck stiffeners and then sometimes a christening is held there along with any type of work or possible repairs from the first trip and load also. Just curious if anyone as any early guess for her up on the St. Clair River as I would love to see her but, time is now not on my side with this weekend's time change. For me now I have to leave at 4:30 to be back home before dark as I live an hour away from Port Huron. Just as long as they pass through in daylight and it's not too early or late depending on weather as well, hopefully I can see them in 2017!
Bill

Unread post by Bill »

She's not quite here yet but Algoma Niagara has arrived at her first Canadian port, Sept Iles. In the coming days she'll become the newest bulk carrier on the Great Lakes.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I see on AIS she's made it to Seven Islands.

Unread post by Guest »

She is off the coast of Cape Breton now
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that update Port Colborne as I appreciate that one very much. Anxiously awaiting their first passage upbound here on the St. Clair River hopefully at some point in November. I am hoping she makes a daylight passage and the weather is favorable as well for me to go out there and photograph and see her. Hope that it is not too cold or windy and rainy as well. Also, a little off subject but with the daylight savings time coming next week to where we fall back an hour this will cut my time down considerably for going up to the river and watching ship traffic. So, point is as long as the Algoma Niagara passes by during the day in the afternoon hours at around 3-4 p.m. that would be just perfect for me as I should get some decent looking photos of her with the lighting at that time of day. Also going off subject again but, does anyone know what the status is on the Algoma Innovator the 650-foot long new Algoma self-unloader being built in Croatia? I believe that they did Sea Trials already but just wondering when they will be departing and if they will make it here before the Seaway shuts down for the winter? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Port Colborne

Unread post by Port Colborne »

Algoma niagara currently off the island of Bermuda oct 29-2017
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Guest as I figured that the Niagara would do that as far as having a crew change and a reflagging in Sept Isles upon arriving there next week. Was just curious is all as to where she will end up going to after leaving Sept Isles if that load then will end up going to Hamilton or someplace else first before she makes her first visit inland to the Great Lakes. Any information appreciated. Thank You.

Unread post by Guest »

The niagara will do a crew change and re-flagging in Sept isles. The algoma strongfield done this as well.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey garbear I agree in part with you on the destination for her as far as Hamilton goes. However, I've not known or seen at least to my knowledge to many cargoes from Sept Isles being loaded for Hamilton this year aboard the Algoma self-unloaders. Not that this couldn't happen with her first load of course but, usually I always thought that most of the Algoma ships load in Port Cartier first for Hamilton but that's mostly on their straight deck bulk carrier ships. So I suppose that anything is possible here. Guess we will just have to wait, watch and see where she goes after they load in Sept Isles. Looking forward though to hopefully seeing them up on the St. Clair River here sometime this year. Thanks for your help.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:They cleared the Panama Canal on the Atlantic side during the late morning today October 23, 2017. According to Marine Traffic they are due next in Sept Isles, Quebec to load on November 2, 2017 at about 1300 hours or 1:00 p.m. and this will be their first load from at least a Great Lakes/Seaway port. Anybody have any guess or an idea as to where this load may be going to? Hope to see her up on the St. Clair River sometime next month and also hoping next year as well to see her sistership the Algoma Sault as well can't wait to see them both. A hearty 3 Long and 2 Short to the Algoma Niagara as the long journey home to Canada will soon be completed.
I'm guessing Hamilton.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

They cleared the Panama Canal on the Atlantic side during the late morning today October 23, 2017. According to Marine Traffic they are due next in Sept Isles, Quebec to load on November 2, 2017 at about 1300 hours or 1:00 p.m. and this will be their first load from at least a Great Lakes/Seaway port. Anybody have any guess or an idea as to where this load may be going to? Hope to see her up on the St. Clair River sometime next month and also hoping next year as well to see her sistership the Algoma Sault as well can't wait to see them both. A hearty 3 Long and 2 Short to the Algoma Niagara as the long journey home to Canada will soon be completed.
Port Colborne

Algoma Niagara

Unread post by Port Colborne »

I see Algoma Niagara is exiting the Panama Canal ,going into the Atlantic today, won't be long she will be here soon.