Benson Ford / Ford vessels movie 1920s

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
RCRVRP

Re: Benson Ford / Ford vessels movie 1920s

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Rob W wrote:
Guest wrote:Has anyone ever found a recording or video with sound of those big doxford engines running? Everyone always talks about their "Makin'-Money Makin' Money" sound but I have never found it.
I kept trying to turn up my volume to no avail

Easy to find on youtube complete with sound. Here is one, there are others there as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4znT5lsejhs
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Guest wrote:Has anyone ever found a recording or video with sound of those big doxford engines running? Everyone always talks about their "Makin'-Money Makin' Money" sound but I have never found it.
I kept trying to turn up my volume to no avail

Unread post by Guest »

Ford operated two Huletts from 1922 to (1944)1956. The first machine was knocked over by the ill-fated Carl D. Bradley in 1944 and the second machine was dismantled in 1956.

The Huletts generally caused less damage to hatch-coamings then the clam-shell buckets, as they were easier to guide into the hatch openings. The clam-shell buckets and bridge cranes allowed the ore to be moved a farther distance from the dock to the furnace yard, whereas Huletts would drop the ore to a pit, from which the ore was moved by bridge cranes to a stockpile or the furnace yard.

In the case of Bethlehem Steel in Lackawanna, New York, their Huletts had extensions on the ends of the machines, upon which were installed conveyors so the ore could be stockpiled further from the dock, than could be done with a conventional hulett.

Unread post by Guest »

Has anyone ever found a recording or video with sound of those big doxford engines running? Everyone always talks about their "Makin'-Money Makin' Money" sound but I have never found it.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

[ How long did Ford operate Hulletts before switching completely over to clamshell buckets? *] I believe it would be the other way around: Hulletts taking over the clamshell buckets.

Unread post by Guest »

Interesting to see the Benson Ford being unloaded by a combination of Hulletts and clamshell buckets. How long did Ford operate Hulletts before switching completely over to clamshell buckets? What were the advantages of the clamshell over the Hullett?
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Is there a Hullett unloader still intact and set up anywhere?
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Great Hulett unloading action in this one if you've never seen these unloaders at work.

Benson Ford / Ford vessels movie 1920s

Unread post by Guest »

After viewing a link to archive.org provided in another post, I did some searching and came across this interesting video clip of the Benson Ford and Ford barges from the 1920s.

https://archive.org/details/FordLakeShippingCa1927

Hopefully there are more Great Lakes shipping oriented subjects on the site!