It's that time of year for Sykes to show up on shipping

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: It's that time of year for Sykes to show up on shipping

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:According to their AIS from Marine Traffic they are scheduled to be in Sturgeon Bay sometime this evening. Just wonder if this is related to their boiler problems that they were having earlier in the season? With all the problems they were having this season with their boilers, wouldn't it make sense to at some point at least do a re-power and put newer Diesel engines in her? Say what you will and wish but it just makes sense to me just to replace her steam turbines and put in all new diesels. Also, isn't their some mandate I thought I read once that by either 2020 or 2025 most of the Great Lakes Steamers need to use a different type of fuel or something? Thanks for any help.
You're right about the Sykes going to Sturgeon Bay for boiler issues. I was told they may just lay up for the season too if it turns out to be a lot of work to repair it. As to your repower comments, how many diesel engines do you know of still running that can collect Social Security? None that I know of!! I could see replacing the boilers maybe but a turbine has greater long term efficiency and virtually no maintenance. Diesels always need to be tore open for some dumb thing or the other! And with the Companies fetish-like lust for cutting crews and limiting the hours you work, this is something to think about. A modern boiler could do the same job at 40% the size, yet have the same heating space. Plus using #2 or natural gas would eliminate the need for soot blowers and oil heaters and all their associated piping. Plus they could automate the throttles and the ballast manifold which would eliminate the need for a watch standing oiler, although I debate whether a one man watch is all that safe.
As to when the fuel change is, right now 2025 is when the use of Bunker C or #6 or equivalent blends will be outlawed. All steamers that I know of burn #6 almost exclusively, barring using diesel for initial light-off or maybe when they're getting ready to shut down.
Denny

Re: It's that time of year for Sykes to show up on shipping

Unread post by Denny »

According to their AIS from Marine Traffic they are scheduled to be in Sturgeon Bay sometime this evening. Just wonder if this is related to their boiler problems that they were having earlier in the season? With all the problems they were having this season with their boilers, wouldn't it make sense to at some point at least do a re-power and put newer Diesel engines in her? Say what you will and wish but it just makes sense to me just to replace her steam turbines and put in all new diesels. Also, isn't their some mandate I thought I read once that by either 2020 or 2025 most of the Great Lakes Steamers need to use a different type of fuel or something? Thanks for any help.
Dusty

It's that time of year for Sykes to show up on shipping

Unread post by Dusty »

Schedule for two harbors or Duluth only to be canceled happened last fall and right off the bat this spring