Arthur M. Anderson Questions

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
tugboathunter

Re: Arthur M. Anderson Questions

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Not sure if that would be true regarding the Callaway. She had a 5-year performed, and new paint applied, in 2015 just before the Anderson (which did not need a 5-year) sat out that entire season. The Callaway seems to be the company's favored steamer, which may be due to its automated boilers.

Unread post by Guest »

tugboathunter wrote:Since acquiring the Great Republic:
Munson sat out the 2013 season.
Clarke was to sit out the 2014 season, but operated due to lost time from the harsh winter of 2013-14.
Anderson sat out the 2015 season.
Munson sat out the 2016 season due to her repowering.
Anderson is sitting out the 2017 season.
I believe GLF has the Great Republic under lease as ABS record still shows it owned by Banc of America Leasing & Capital LLC and not owned outright by GLF.

From your list, the Cason J. Callaway seems a likely candidate to sit out the 2018 season. It is interesting how GLF is rotating these vessels to prevent any of them being in an extended layup. I'm assumming that they are performing work on them while they are out of service.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Since acquiring the Great Republic:
Munson sat out the 2013 season.
Clarke was to sit out the 2014 season, but operated due to lost time from the harsh winter of 2013-14.
Anderson sat out the 2015 season.
Munson sat out the 2016 season due to her repowering.
Anderson is sitting out the 2017 season.
CSLer

Unread post by CSLer »

They can still burn the heavier fuel but have to install scrubbers

Unread post by Guest »

Good question, since EPA laws are being changed with the Trump Administration. I heard at one point 2025 but I assume that there will be some change there, and even if not, there are some loopholes that can be set up.

Unread post by Guest »

geysir wrote:How much longer are the steamers allowed to sail before pollution laws require them to lay up or repower?

The last I heard 2025 is the year anyone burning #6 has to switch to a lighter fuel such as #2 Diesel or Natural Gas.
geysir

Unread post by geysir »

How much longer are the steamers allowed to sail before pollution laws require them to lay up or repower?

Unread post by Guest »

I think GLF has been keeping one boat on the wall each year for a few years now since they chartered the Great Republic. They've rotated which boat they've used. I believe the Clarke and Munson have all had turns sitting out a year. Not sure about the Callaway.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In checking the lay-up list, remember also the Munson ended up by getting re-powered in 2015 so the Anderson was used in 2016 while the Munson was getting her new diesels put into her. The Anderson arrived in Duluth about mid-January 2017 for lay-up at the CN Ore Dock East of 6 in Duluth. The Munson arrived to get her new diesels put in at Sturgeon Bay about mid-December 2015 and did not fitout or sail during the 2016 season as far as I know? Hope all this helps.

Unread post by Guest »

Ed wrote:I was wondering about the Anderson and why it is tied up for the season at CN Duluth. I thought they had taken it out of service back in 2015 or there abouts to do a lot of work on it.

Also wondering about the bulkheads in the Anderson as well as the Fizgerald. I had heard that they were part solid bulkhead and part screen. Are they still this way?

One last thing, were the hatch covers changed at all after November 10, 1975?

Thanks much for anyone who can shed any light on any of this.
It is out of service for lack of work. Since GLF got the Great Republic they have been rotating each year what steamer remained out of service.

They are solid bulkheads

No, the covers were not changed on her, or any other vessel. In fact the hatches on vessels built since then have the same design for hatches.
Ed

Arthur M. Anderson Questions

Unread post by Ed »

I was wondering about the Anderson and why it is tied up for the season at CN Duluth. I thought they had taken it out of service back in 2015 or there abouts to do a lot of work on it.

Also wondering about the bulkheads in the Anderson as well as the Fizgerald. I had heard that they were part solid bulkhead and part screen. Are they still this way?

One last thing, were the hatch covers changed at all after November 10, 1975?

Thanks much for anyone who can shed any light on any of this.