Wilfred Sykes

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Yooper

Re: Wilfred Sykes

Unread post by Yooper »

The Sykes has hauled ore on Lake Superior many times including out during the storm of November 1975, however it was a regular at the escanaba ore dock and hauled limestone there as well,which was shipped by rail to the the mines in Marquette county
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Guest wrote:THis is something that I've been curious about - where has the Wilfred Sykes been running and what have they been hauling since Escanaba closed? No other non-Lake Superior US ore loading facilities that I know of.
The Sykes has been mainly concentrating on limestone and aggragates the past few years actually.
It's not uncommon for then to have split loads from 2 different docks such as Port Inland and Cedarville too.
They don't carry pellets all that often unless it's crunch time early in the season to feed the mill or fall to stockpile.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Sykes carried stone cargoes throughout the 2017 shipping season often loading from Port Inland and Cedarville and taking these loads to either Indiana Harbor or to Burns Harbor. Often they would then return upbound with slag loaded at either Indiana or Burns Harbor and would unload in Grand Haven and head back up for stone. When Escanaba was open besides ore loads from there, they would also load stone cargoes as I described earlier. Basically her trade pattern hasn’t change all that much other than she’s not carrying ore loads with Escanaba closing and now she’s carrying more stone and slag cargoes. Hope this helps out.

Unread post by Guest »

THis is something that I've been curious about - where has the Wilfred Sykes been running and what have they been hauling since Escanaba closed? No other non-Lake Superior US ore loading facilities that I know of.

Unread post by Guest »

Yooper wrote:The Sykes has longer hauls now due to the fact that the Escanaba ore dock is closed, and if I remember correctly the Joe Block was built for the run from Escanaba to Gary
I don't recall the Sykes making any runs to Lake Superior this season due to the closure of Escanaba. It seems like the vessel operated on shorter runs on Lake Michigan and northern Lake Huron. I may be wrong, however.

The Block was built to haul ore from both Lake Superior and Escanaba to Indiana Harbor.

Unread post by Guest »

A repower is a big job with long lead times. If boiler trouble took them by surprise in the latter stages of last year's season, this was probably the only option to be able to get her out in time for the 2018 season.

I'd say it bodes well for her future and eventual diesel repowering that they'd be willing to put this money into her knowing that it will only see a few short years of use.

Clearly she's a valuable asset that they're willing to invest in. And they seem to believe like other mainstream fleets in the US and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes, that keeping her as a self-powered ship is the best option in the long-term.
Yooper

Unread post by Yooper »

The Sykes has longer hauls now due to the fact that the Escanaba ore dock is closed, and if I remember correctly the Joe Block was built for the run from Escanaba to Gary

Unread post by Guest »

What's involved in a 'boiler rebuild' ? And how would that cost compare to a new diesel ? With few steam powered ships still on the lakes it seems like a small and ever-shrinking group of people would be qualified to run her engine.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Jon Paul I totally agree with you and you've echoed my thoughts and own words as well, "Why not just repower and transform her from steam to diesel and if I am correct on this I believe there is also a mandate that by the year 2020 or 2025 most all steamers anyway have to switch to a different type of a fuel if I am saying this in a correct manner?" So, if the fuel thing then is correct from the way I tried to describe it then it makes IMO anyway no sense then to rebuild her boilers when you consider then by either 2020 that's two years away or 2025 the mandate kicks in for the fuel thing and steamers to use a different fuel. I sincerely apologize if I am not explaining the fuel terms correctly and please don't fault me if my information is incorrect folks. These are just my thoughts!
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Granted it's an almost 70 yr old boat but it would seem more sense to just repower diesel than a complete boiler job.
With the primarily short hauls she makes on Lake Michigan and the Straits it would have been more fuel efficient and more cost effective over even just a 10 year period.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Jerry as I sort of figured that one out when I heard along with read the story on the news page "of a steamer this winter and getting their boilers rebuilt!" The story didn't say specifically if it was the Sykes or not that's why I held back until I got confirmation of that one. Again, thanks for letting us all know on that news.
Jerry at Duluth

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

The Sykes is getting both boilers completely rebuilt.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Not sure yet if the Sykes is getting its boilers rebuilt or not but to answer one of your questions, Yes she did indeed lay up early due to boiler issues at Bay Shipbuilding in Sturgeon Bay for the winter. Hope that this helps.

Unread post by Guest »

Today's news about winter work on the boats indicates a steamship is having its boiler completely rebuilt. Could this be the Sykes ? Didn't she lay up early due to boiler issues ?

Unread post by Guest »

she is completely pumped out and the life rings are stowed away.
drydock

Unread post by drydock »

Any news on the Sykes stay in Sturgeon Bay? Is she done for the year ? Any news on her future?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I second that one Guest! Give me a break already as I have not seen her since 2005 in late May on the St. Clair River and I have yet to see or get photos of her on digital film. When I last saw her in 2005, it was before I started to take digital photos. Also remember the flag that LLT/GRN ships fly with the saying "Don't Give Up The Ship!" From what the saying says, Don't give up on the Sykes just yet as I am sure there are plans for her down the road and let's just hope and pray that CML has a good plan for her rather it be an update as far as her boilers go or perhaps a complete re-power from steam to perhaps diesels. Just give it time folks as you never know what can happen. For me I'm not about to give up on her just yet and I think if it can be done on her, she'd make a great candidate for a re-power to diesels. Remember too that many of us hated it when she was converted into a self-unloader but, I look at her today and don't think she looks bad at all with an unloading boom on her. So, don't give up on her yet!

Unread post by Guest »

Dont start ruining everybody's Christmas with thoughts of turning that beautiful into a barge!

Unread post by Guest »

They could always lease the Corneilus from ASC again........ From what I heard from Inland guys who worked that charter that ship has quirks of it's own.

Unread post by Guest »

GBGuest wrote:Central Marine buying a vessel from Rand Logistics is very unlikely, I agree its debatable about if they will spend the $$ on the Sykes, I would be more worried they would pursue leasing a laid up or un-used ASC vessel like the ACORN to haul the Sykes cargoes.
......Or converting the Sykes to a tug/barge......