Jon Paul, Charles M. White

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: Jon Paul, Charles M. White

Unread post by Jon Paul »

The C-4 triplets were built for Nicholson - Universal Steamship Co and Managed by Troy Browning Steamship Company (1951-52)
They were sold to Republic Steel in 1952 with Browning still managing.
In 1957 Wilson Marine Transit took over management until 1972 when the 3 were put on Bare Boat Charter (Republic Owners)to Cleveland Cliffs who held the Republic ore contract.

The Louis McHenry Howe, Mount Mansfield and Scott E Land were C4-S-A4 Class cargo ships taken from the James River Reserve Fleet in 1951. The reconstruction was in stages with Maryland Drydock joining the remains stern portions to a new forebody built at Ingalls Shipbuilding in Alabama. Then they were towed individually up the Mississippi and connecting waterways to American Shipbuilding in S. Chicago were they were completed for Great Lakes service in 1951.
Tom M Girdler (Howe), Charles M White (Mansfield) and Troy H Browning (Land) were built to the length of 600' to accommodate their main customer, Republic Steel, whose 2 main steel mills were on the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland and 1 on the Calumet River just up the river from where they were put in service in S Chicago.
The 3 C-4's were able to load to 25' on the Calumet but limited to 22' on the Cuyahoga necessitating the lightering of cargo to that depth usually at Cleveland C & P and occasionally Lorain, then proceeding upriver to either Upper or Lower Republic Plants.
In 1955 the Troy H Browning's name was changed to Thomas F Patton.

Though there were rumors of lengthening and conversions the fact that Republic Steel retained ownership throughout and that they had no interest in putting any money into them ultimately ended those discussions.

I will post some more C-4 photos later today.

Unread post by Guest »

All three ships were built for Republic Steel to haul iron ore to Republic steel mills on the Cuyahoga river in Cleveland. Back then, the largest ship that could travel that far up the river were 600 feet maximum.

There was some talk in the 1960s of installing a new mid-body to increase their capacity to 28,000 tons, along with self-unloading equipment.

Unread post by Guest »

I've really taken a liking to the three boats in the Girdler class. They have a very unusual look that is quite attractive. Unfortunately they had relatively short careers on the lakes. Why weren't they built longer ? They could've been towed up the Mississippi in two sections of maximum length. Their high horsepower engines could've handled a larger boat. TIA
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jon Paul wrote:Starting Monday I will begin posting photos from my collection. They will span a time frame starting in the 1930's (mostly taken by my late father) up to the past few years.
In regards to info on my time on the C M White, a search on this site will bring up dozens of posts including photos.
Jon Paul, looking forward to your collection.
Jon Paul

Starting Monday I will begin posting photos from my collection. They will span a time frame starting in the 1930's (mostly taken by my late father) up to the past few years.
In regards to info on my time on the C M White, a search on this site will bring up dozens of posts including photos.
A J

Unread post by A J »

Thank you Jon Paul and any other stories you'd like to share! I liked the triplets and also thought they were handsome boats. Sadly they were sent away early in my boatwatching.

Alex
Jon Paul

I honestly have no idea Alex. All 3 were built off the same plan, had identical power plants (10k steam turbine) and hull design. The only appreciable difference was the Patton never had a bow thruster installed. Because of that she was the first laid up and the last to fit out. Cheif Eng John Abbott who had been CE on all 3 boats and was responsible for getting the beautiful triple chime steam whistle off the J E Upson installed on the Patton couldn't give me an answer either. Ric Starcke who had been mate on all three, said the White was faster, could haul more tonnage and was a better heavy weather boat than her 2 sisters.
I think the speed factor had more to due with who her skipper was. Capt Peo who I believe was Captain during the unofficial "races" was known as a hard pressing no holds barred kind of guy.
In that same vein, Capt Ray Long who was on the White most of the time I was on her, saw the Whites speed as an asset to be used. Mates and us wheelsman were to keep a constant ear tuned to the radio, monitoring who was going where. If throwing on a few extra nozzles for more speed meant getting ahead of a slower boat entering a river system or beating them to a loading or unloading port then that's what we did.
A J

Jon Paul, Charles M. White

Unread post by A J »

Hi Jon your former boat, the White, seemed to be the fastest of the triplets, at least the one that was written most for being the fastest of the three. Were there reasons ever said as to why?

Thanks, Alex