Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey Bookworm, if you read this post then so much for part of my pick on first boats at the Soo Locks now! I just seen on the Duluth Shipping News’ website to where the Gott won’t be leaving Duluth layup until on March 29 subject to change due to weather and ice conditions. Two are scheduled to leave Duluth on March 23 both the James R. Barker with coal from the MERC Dock and the Burns Harbor from the Ore Dock in Superior. So it looks like either the Barker or Burns Harbor could be the first downbound at the Soo maybe instead of the Gott. I still like my pick of the Blough as first overall and upbound at the Soo! At last check she was expected to sail on March 23 from Sturgeon Bay layup along with the Block, Munson and Callaway subject to change. Both the Cort and the Mesabi Miner are due to leave Bay Ship on the 24th. Point is that if this holds to course, don’t look like the Cort will repeat itself as the first ship at the Soo as it did in 2017. The Blough though was the first one in 2016 so you never know? Guess we will have to wait and see who it is.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey Bookworm thanks for your comments as always. As for who do I think will be the first downbound at the Soo? My money is on the Gott and first upbound the Roger Blough and they will be first overall ship as well! I got strong feeling on both the Blough and the Gott for both at the Soo on the opener. The Blough had its five year done and also they got repainted as well. As for the Gott, she is usually one of the first ones to leave Duluth and layup whenever she is there of course. Yes I know of course that there’s Canadians and others that could be first downbound but let’s think about this in perspective. Surely ice could be an issue up in Lake Superior and Whitefish Bay? If ice is an issue, then wouldn’t it make sense to have a vessel with more HP leading the pack and the convoy down through to the locks? Doesn’t the Gott still hold the title as the ship with the most Horsepower? Also, unless I’m wrong I believe I once read and heard that the Gott, Speer and Blough all were built to handle ice conditions with a strong hull and steel or at least something related to that anyway. In regards to the Michipicoten or Manitoulin to be the first downbound? I don’t see that happening as the Michpicoten I see on the Essar Steel ore run and the Manitoulin I see departing up to Thunder Bay to load wheat. I think she did that last year if I recall that is if they were laid up at Essar? So that’s my predictions as far as the first boats at the Soo for 2018. Soon we know for sure as far as the first ones at the Soo. Now the hard part is picking the first ships at both the Seaway in Montreal and the Welland. One thing I can guarantee there is that an Algoma ship will be the first at one of them! Why you’d ask is that with new Algoma ships due in this year, surely Algoma would want to make a name and statement and why not with one of their ships as it makes sense to me. Last year, CSL was first at the Seaway and LLT was the first at the Welland so this year I think it’s Algoma’s time and turn.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Hey Denny! Was wondering what became of you. Good to see you're keeping busy and counting down the days to Opening Day. I don't have a FB account, either, but find it easy to post photos here, and a lot of people see them as they check the Boatnerd discussion boards and news page. It's an idea. So, who do you think will be the first down-bounder? A lot of variables but it seems to me those two in lay-up at the Soo (Michipicoten & Manitoulin) have the best chance.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey everyone just a message to let everyone know that I'm fine and still here alive and ticking thank goodness. Been a busy winter lay up for me as I started to edit and work on all of my 2017 ship pictures from my river trips about mid-January after the Soo Locks were closed for the winter. Needless to say this was the only time of year to where I could work on my photos without interruptions and constantly following and going to shipping websites and not to sound negative or anything against the websites and also not too offend anyone here especially our great boatnerd team along with their many volunteers. Anyway, I spent the last five grueling weeks working on boat pictures many of which were over 100 photos to edit which was very timely. I could give you a detail of how I go as far as editing my photos but, I will save that one for another day and No I don't plan to change anything either as far as how I go about editing the photos. Unfortunately though, you will not see them on the KYS facebook page as I am not a member there nor do I desire to do so but, at times I do get the itch and desire to want to sign up so you never know? I just wish that boatnerd could somehow bring back the News Photo Gallery again as maybe there is a way for me to post a few there. Maybe in 2018 I will consider trying to send some salty photos as part of the Salty Photo Gallery as I got some juicy ones from last year as far as the salties go there. Right now I am slowly but gradually getting things ready for the 2018 season. I still haven't recovered yet from 2017 so it will take me a while yet to get ready for 2018 but in time I'm sure that I will get there. My one regret is that I wish the Soo wasn't so far away as I would love to get up there some how and some way and especially since the Soo has a huge birthday this year to where they will celebrate a milestone birthday and I would love to be up there for it and get some souvenirs. Unfortunately with my Mom gone, there's just no one around anymore that can take me up to the Soo so my days of going there may be all over with but at least I will always have the memories of the earlier trips there with both my Dad and Mom and those can never be taken away for anything! So hope that everyone is doing well sorry for a long post but just wanted to let everyone know what I've been doing this winter and hope everyone has a great 2018 season and maybe I'll see you on the river sometime this year. 3 Long and 2 Short let 2018 begin!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Hello Denny my friend, I hope you are doing well and surviving this cold winter we are having!

Unread post by Guest »

Denny, it is great to see your name contributing to the news page again!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks all and everyone for your input on this as it is very much and greatly appreciated. From the looks of things I am probably at 100% going with the Spring Surge and Summer Roar however, I don't know at this point just how much these will apply for the 2018 season for me? It's not as simple as you would think sorry to be that way folks but, sometime next Spring will be when I will be moving out of the home I've called home for all of my life 45 years and it will definitely NOT be an easy thing to do as you can more than likely imagine. I mean just think and put yourself into my spot and imagine living somewhere for 45-50 years and then knowing that someday you have to give that home up and then move and look into someplace else! It will take a lot of time and patience next year folks and we just need to give it time and let's not rush into anything for the 2018 season yet. I'm sure that at some point I will be making it out to the river in 2018 it's just the trips may be fewer and less than what they were this year until I can get into a permanent place of my own. Bottom line here everyone and I've said this a few times, "after the passing of my Mom this year and the selling of the house in 2018, I figure it will take at least 2 or 3 years to get back to where I was at least in 2017 and even before the year 2017 for that matter." Everyone assures me that things and times will get better for me and they all tell me to family and friends included to "Just Hang In There and to Stay Positive and to keep my chin up!" I know that things will be and get better in time and keep in mind everyone that it's still been just only a few months since my Mom passed away. Most anyone that I've talked to about it all say "It takes at least a year or more to get over the fact of losing a dear loved one so close as your parents were and I believe they are right!" Thanks again to everyone for your words of comfort and thought as I appreciate and value them very much as I know the Holidays especially Christmas will be the most difficult as that was always my Mom's favorite time of the year and it will definitely NOT be the same as far as not having her here anymore! I know I'll somehow get through it but, it will not be an easy thing. Happy Holidays everyone and God Bless. Stay Safe and Warm!
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

Great stuff Denny,i hope you can get out as much as you want this coming season. God bless and have a happy holiday season.
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Your trips in the Spring could be a Spring Fling...

I like your titles too though.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Garbear and many others for your suggestions along with other ideas of what I should go with as far as the Summer slogan and idea for my river runs in 2018 and beyond! After doing some very long, tiring and serious head scratching and searching I think I've come with the ultimate sayings now for both Spring and the Summer and like Autumn Thunder these sayings would have to be a permanent thing each and every season of shipwatching for me and each and every weather season such as the Autumn Thunder for the fall months. So, after doing much searching on the web for ideas and words along with sayings and words that match up to what I am trying to go with I think I've got it finally! Here we go as for Spring it will more than likely be "Spring Surge" and for the one in the Summer how about this boatnerds and everyone get ready for this "Summer Roar!" I personally like them and I hope that you all would to as I think the sayings match the meanings of those times of year Spring Surge and Summer Roar. Now, I ask you for your vote as I want to see how much percentage is in favor here of these as I know many of you liked Autumn Thunder along with many of my family and friends. So, I think they would all agree with me that Spring Surge and Summer Roar are perfect titles for those times of year! I also and visualize lots positive feedback off of these sayings. All I ask beside a vote is to "Let it build off of you and just visualize it in your minds and just let it roll and just say it either to yourself or out loud if you will, Spring Surge along with Summer Roar and then see how you like it in the end!" In the end I think these sayings are truly meaningful and will work out for me. Thanks all for reading and for your feedback and comments here.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

From a song by the late, great Detroit area rocker Glenn Frey-The Heat Is On!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks guys for those ideas but, I need something to be stronger and more meaningful that catches people's eyes and attention if you know what I mean? Take for instance my "Autumn Thunder" to which I've mentioned that idea on the Fall/Autumn stuff and I have gotten lots of positive feedback from my family and friends that they like and love that title. So far I like the Spring Surge idea as for me starting out in the Spring and having a Surge of trips in the Spring and May sometimes would be my starting point in the Spring and would also be my 2nd best month for going out along the river. The Summer idea, I don't do too many trips during the summer as there is always festivals and stuff so I sort of avoid all that stuff and generally I would used to take vacations in June or July and August to the Soo. So, while I have the Spring idea down it's just coming up with something good, strong and meaningful for the Summer months mostly July and August. I don't want to go into like using Summer Sizzler or Summer Heat because you're then going with weather terms and ideas. I once even thought about Spring Breeze or Spring Storm but again this is related with weather and wouldn't be good for me. So, bottom line here is just looking for something strong for the Summer term. Thanks all!
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Summer Slam

Unread post by Guest »

How about Summer Splendor?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hope that everyone has enjoyed my stats and post along with my updates so far. As promised here are some more stats for you all to enjoy and read. My Silver Anniversary 25th year of Ship Watching will be remembered in many ways mostly all good ones. So there is a record for the most tonnage carried through the Soo Locks this year at over 75,000 tons of ore pellets aboard the American Integrity back in September right? Well it is fitting an ironic for my 25th season on the river that I also set some records which will stand forever with eternity NEVER to be matched, tied or broken! In October I set a new monthly total for going out to the river with 8 times out there which was the most ever for October and broke the record for that month set 10 years ago when I made it at that point 6 times if my memory is correct on that? Well just like the ore records at the Soo were also set and then broken, so was my monthly total as along came the month of November to which I've never been able to go beyond the 4 trip limit if you will! That all changed though in 2017 as I now own and have an outstanding record believe it or not of 9 times in a single month which breaks the record not only for November but also will break the October record by one to which I had 8 times out at the river that month! Hope that I'm making some sense to you all with this stuff. Also you will be happy to know that I've talked this over with my Supreme Superiors and NO it's not family or friends either but, Autumn Thunder is now officially Denny's Law and will be for each Fall and Autumn Season on the river from her on out as we made certain to make that a rule every year! So Autumn Thunder is here to stay forever and we may have one for Spring as I've come up with "Spring Surge" so far unless I can come up with something a bit more better. For Summer, I'm drawing a blank and any ideas from you all are much appreciated. Thanks for reading and God Bless!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

For those of you that just cannot get enough of my reports here is a few more news and updates for you to enjoy as far as my latest news, updates and information here. I hope that boatnerd will let me add in statistics with no problems to let you all know what the last and final count is for my 25th anniversary season up along the St. Clair River. Listed below are my final statistics for 2017 and this will NOT change until sometime in 2018 when I start back up on the St. Clair River again. Here now are the latest stats below.

By the Month and how many times I did it since April 14, 1992. Please note that April 14, 1992 was my first time at the river then.

October 76
September 63
May 62 (This will definitely pass September sometime in 2018)
November 55
August 53
June 52
July 50
April 30
December 4

Please note as well that these monthly totals may not change as well very much due to the fact of me having to move at some point during the 2018 season. It is unknown yet and unclear as to just how many river trips I may make and when I will get started?

Here now are statistics by the day of the week since April 14, 1992.

Friday 133
Tuesday 105 (I call the Tuesday trips, Ruby Tuesdays)
Saturday 68 (The Saturday trips I call them Weekend Warriors)
Wednesday 59
Monday 57 (I call the Monday trips Back to Work Mondays)
Thursday 12
Sunday 11

Total amount of Saltwater Vessels or salties seen during the 2017 shipping season was 26 with 18 of them being ones I had never seen before 2017. However, I did not get photos of one of them which was the tanker Chem Polaris so the actual totals for 2017 is really 25 salties and 17 new ones that I had not seen before 2017.

The total amount of river trips made since April 14, 1992 now is at 445 which leaves me at an even 55 trips to go in order to get to my 500th all time river trip. As I calculate the average numbers to get to that point, I am guessing and estimating that it will probably take about 2 to 3 more years to get to that point depending on just how many trips I make out there in the next 2 or 3 years when you consider the move that I will be making and for the next two years at least I will be busy moving around a lot until I can find at least a permanent place of my own and NO I cannot move out near the river as I need to live close to where my brother is now so he can come and check on me when I need it to see how I'm doing and if I need anything! Anyway, those are my stats as far as going to the river is concerned in the past 25 years. I will have more updates to come in time please be patient and hang in there as I will give you all more information when the time is right and it comes. Thanks!
Howard Sprague

Thank you for the correction Denny. As far as moving is concerned I understand and sympathize with how difficult it can be. However, perhaps you can use moving as an opportunity as you have mentioned in the past how far you live from the river. Perhaps you can move to closer to the river so that you can spend more time there.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Howard for your reply and kind and thoughtful words as they are always appreciated. Just a few corrections on your post as far as how many river trips I made in 2017. First I did not make it out there 25 times as you had mentioned. Depending on how you wish to view and look at, it can be one of two ways either at 24 or as I consider it 21 times. Most may say 24 and I am okay with that but, the trips in April and the two in August were sort of warm up trips if you will for me since I wasn't even planning them and they were not what I consider an all day event as far as ship watching is concerned. The trip I made on April 1st was mainly to get out and get my copies of the 2017 KYS book it just so happened that there was some ship traffic so I stayed and watched and got 5 or 6 boats that day. The two others that came in August was mostly to go out and see the Salarium of CSL to which I had never ever seen after her rename from the Nanticoke. It just so happened that again I got to see a few ships on the river on August 4 and when I went back on August 8, it was crazy and busy with 13 ships seen that day on the river. To me, I consider my official start up date for the 2017 season on September 12 as that's when I had my 25 year sign done and painted up and when I started to go out there for the real deal and start ship watching for my 25th anniversary year and season. So, from September 12th to November 28th my last trip for 2017 I made it from that point at least 21 times and that was the number I was most concerned with was getting that one to 20 or more. As far as me getting 30 trips in 2018 at that pace that I was on in 2017, I don't look for that to happen for a very long time as in fact I predict the 2018 season to be a drop off along with a drop back year on my river trip totals. Next year you have to understand and realize will be different for me as next year I will be moving out of my parents' home one to which I've lived in for all of my life 45 years to be exact! This will be a huge adjustment for me and it will take a very long time to get over after spending all those many years and memories here. The transition will take a very long time to get adjusted to as far as having to move away and into some place else until a permanent place for me can be found. I figure that it will be at least another 2-3 years at the best before I am back to the level I was for 2017! Granted things can change and I could be wrong but for now that is my prediction for me getting back to this level again. I hope that everyone sees it the way I do and understands that this year was definitely NOT an easy thing for me losing my Mom and now having to move away next year will be the most challenging thing I've ever had to do in my life! I'm sure that I will do fine and get over it in time but just have to be patient and try to hang in there. I know that I will have lots of help and support from family and friends when the time and day comes next year to where I do move away. Right now I think I might be able to make some trips in the Spring but, I'm not even thinking that far ahead just yet. Right now I'm just enjoying some break and down time as I sure do need it as busy as I was at going up to the river this year. Sorry for such a long post here folks but just giving you some news is all. Take care folks and God Bless!
Howard Sprague

I am so happy to hear that you managed 25 river trips in such an abbreviated season, Denny! I am proud to hear it, my friend. If you keep up this pace next year you will undoubtedly have your best season on the river and make 30 trips, and race ever closer to your 500th trip! You take care my friend and enjoy the nice weather we are having while it lasts. We will see you out on the river next year!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just letting everyone know that has been reading and following this post and all of my river updates, sorry to keep you in suspense as the last few weeks has been busy and crazy for me with plenty of trips up to the St. Clair River. Although the traffic has been very slow to say the least and most, at least we are taking advantage of the mild weather and cashing in on the opportunities. Today even though it was slow with only the salty Federal Cedar along with the Hollyhock upbound in Port Huron and the Algolake downbound also in St. Clair, it was also a history making day for me as well today along the St. Clair River. Get this everyone and I hope to hear from more of you besides my good friend Howard Sprague as surely you will have some comments for me after reading this post today and the updates. Now, all of you were there for me when my Mom had passed away this year and I appreciate that. Here now is the news we've been waiting for. History was made at the river today for it was the 11th time in my 25 years up there that I had made it out there 20 or more times in a season! I think it is a fitting honor and achievement award for me to get 20 both in my 25th anniversary season and also with everything that happened with my Mom as well this year! What a better way to end my 25th year out on the river and to go into 2018 with something to build and look upon for next year and the future as well. Yes there were still plenty of ships that I did not see in 2017 and lots of the 1,000 footers as well but this is okay as it gives me something to look forward to now for the 2018 season. Don't mean to make this too long so I will end this for now and add more later on hopefully after I hear from many of you all. I know that my folks would've been proud of me for having the courage to make it to the river with everything that happened to my Mom this year. Now, I wanted something to make me just as proud and happy for myself and today the goal was met and the mission was achieved and accomplished with 20 runs out to the river. We still have more work yet to fulfill and accomplish and we also have one final piece of the puzzle if you will that has yet to be put in place and that piece fittingly will come tomorrow up at the river. I will explain that at a later date and time for you. So be sure to stay tuned for more updates as there are plenty yet to come. Thanks for reading and following my post. God Bless you all also!