Historical Perspective in Photos

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Historical Perspective in Photos

Unread post by Guest »

The Hoyt picture is particularly interesting to me. She appears to be drafting "0" at the bow !
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Many forms that we can't see now nor for many decades. That's delightful, thanks Jon Paul!
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Here are some B & W photos with a few interesting aspects. The Hoyt was just after lengthening and pre bowthruster and the Reiss is downbound in ballast and doesnt have a bow thruster yet either.
The Secord was always a favorite of mine as she reminded me of the barges of the same basic design.
Attachments
white.jpg
tate.jpg
saginaw.jpg
reiss.jpg
midland.jpg
marquette.jpg
hoyt.jpg
cdsecord.jpg
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

Thank you for the great photos Jon Paul.

Unread post by Guest »

That picture of the Cliffs Victory reminds me so much of my memories of living along the St. Clair River during the 1970s! Thanks for posting!

Unread post by Guest »

Awesome pics love them!
TBayGuest

Unread post by TBayGuest »

Blustery day here at the Lakehead as well. Great pics Jon Paul. Looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing.
Jon Paul

A blustery day here in the Straits of Mackinac. The Federal Champlain, American Spirit and Joe Block are anchored over between St. Ignace and Mackinac Island and the Sam laud, Samuel DeChamplain and Algoway are anchored here just east of Mackinaw City.
Attachments
Downbound in the St. Clair River
Downbound in the St. Clair River
Detroit River Light
Detroit River Light
Munson just after lengthening
Munson just after lengthening
Just off Mission Point
Just off Mission Point
century.jpg
Meeting Roger Blough in Soo Harbor
Meeting Roger Blough in Soo Harbor
R Bruce Angus slides by off Sugar Island
R Bruce Angus slides by off Sugar Island
C M White assisting the Algolake stuck in the ice St Mary's River
C M White assisting the Algolake stuck in the ice St Mary's River
Jon Paul

Darryl wrote:
Testing the Hydraulic Telemotor steering was requires on each watch
So this backup steering system was the cable system as opposed to the electronic main steering wheel? And they all went to the same steering engine in the engineroom? TIA
The primary system was the gyro/electric or as we joked the "power steering". It was smooth and only 3 complete wheel turns to hard over from amidships. To activate the back up which was the original main steering system, the gyro/electric had a lever on the port side of the wheel stand that was placed in the OFF position and then there was a brass lever at the base of the wood wheel stand that was switched opened. This activated the hydraulic telemotor steering. It was very stiff and would take a little muscle to turn.
On occasion in river systems (St Clair or St Marys) I would switch over to the telemotor for a short periods to get a feel for how the ship responded to it. I wanted to make sure if the gyro/elec went down that I was comfortable using it.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

On the Great Lake Fleet boats (with duel systems) the hydraulic system was required in the rivers/making port. Was this the same on your boats?

Unread post by Guest »

I think I can speak for many here when I say we're really looking forward to seeing your photos. Your effort (and garbear's too for his fantastic collection) are very much appreciated !
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Bring on the photos..........
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

So this backup steering system was the cable system as opposed to the electronic main steering wheel? And they all went to the same steering engine in the engineroom? TIA
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Nice and looking forward to more Jon Paul! Thanks for sharing with us!
Jon Paul

Historical Perspective in Photos

Over the next months I will be posting photo's from my collection. some I took while working on the Charles M White as a deckhand then AB Watchman and finally as a wheelsman. Some were taken while a deckhand on the Samuel Mather.
I started off sailing in 1974 as a deckhand on the J R Sensibar. Because we ran mostly short trips on Lake Huron or Lake Erie and the fact that she had 30+ telescoping hatches, I was unable to take many photo's.
Many of the other photo's were taken by my father starting in the 1930's, mostly from under the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Shipping on the lakes has changed drastically from those wonderful days.
Attachments
My room and bunk as junior wheelsman. I shared room with a AB Watchman
My room and bunk as junior wheelsman. I shared room with a AB Watchman
AB Watchman Louie Ploof relieved me on the wheel for my midwatch break. 2nd Mate Ed Knight in front window
AB Watchman Louie Ploof relieved me on the wheel for my midwatch break. 2nd Mate Ed Knight in front window
My forward view..3rd Mate Paul Halverson in the window
My forward view..3rd Mate Paul Halverson in the window
Chartroom on Charles M White
Chartroom on Charles M White
Me as 12-4 Wheelsman on the Gyro/Electric
Me as 12-4 Wheelsman on the Gyro/Electric