My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by Guest »

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thank you for your stories.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Thank you very much for the stories you've provided this site. These should live on long after we have departed from this world. Thank you Captain for this highly entertaing thread.
Jared
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Thank you Captain Ross for sharing your eloquently written memoirs. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all that you shared. I was as interested in your ocean sailing conveyances as your Great Lakes stories.
I hope this will be preserved in its entirety for future reading.
With utmost respect
Paul Anderson

Unread post by Guest »

Sorry the stories are coming to an end Capt really enjoyed them, I think I may have met you once you were I think fitting out the Windoc in TBay at the old shed 6 we were kids taking a picture and you were getting out of a cab and came over and introduced yourself as the Captain and said you had just got there but hoped to be leaving the next day.
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

As with all litigation it was a few months before we had or day in court and in between times the company had advertised in a national newspaper for masters. It was their cloudy crystal ball that had given them erroneous data and the illness of one captain which necessitated this turn of events. On the day we went p court he plane from Toronto was delayed and the legal counsel and I arrived just over an hour late. Now it really was an uphill battle. To say the judge was impartial would be bending the truth somewhat but how much was only evident when I read the transcript of the case. I was on the witness stand right away and was questioned by the defense council and he really tried hard to make me out as a foolish money grubbing imbecile. He failed as I answered his questions in a cool and concise manner and at no time lost and went the way he wanted. Prior to the lunch break the judge informed us that he had other commitments and would only have a brief time allowed for us to conclude. In the afternoon it was my council’s turn to question the defense witness, Captain K. (I just recently read the transcript so it is now refreshed in my memory). One of his answers was so far from the truth I must have made a noise as the judge turned to me and informed me that another outburst (his words) and I would be removed from the courtroom. (An impartial judge???). About three P.M. he informed us time was up and closing arguments were to be submitted in writing! Thus went our day in court and the result was (surprise surprise against me and costs) It was not my intention to end my career in this fashion but that was the end of my sailing on the great lakes. It did achieve one thing and that the terms which captains were employed afterwards were amended to ensure this would not lead to litigation.
I did sail again as an ice adviser and after one particularly bad experience did not do it again. I was hired to assist an Algerian vessel from Quebec City to Botwood in Newfoundland. I flew down to Quebec and boarded the vessel in -25C temperatures. She was just about to complete loading. I went up to the captain’s cabin to introduce myself and found several people conferring. The captain had just quit and they were now trying to figure out what to do. I was asked to take the ship on as master. I used to carry my qualifications with me and these were examined by a Transport Canada official and were OK. I agreed for a certain sum and only to Botwood ad no further. All was agreed and we sailed. On the way to Escoumains the first mate approached me and told me there were several crew members sick and needed medical attention. The language was English as it mostly was Arabic or French. I had to call the agents and arrange for the crew members to go ashore in the pilots’ boat for attention. In between times I now understood why the other captain had quit. The boat was not really fitted out for these sub Arctic conditions and all the internal plumbing fixtures had frozen during the stay in Quebec. The heating system was steam coils and they were leaking causing excessive moisture inside the accommodation and wheelhouse. The wheelhouse windows would be coated with ice and had to be cleared using de-icer. Not a very efficient method. The steam used in heating had to be turned off to be used to heat the oil in the D.B tanks and to temperature inside became frigid. The navigational equipment was not very good and I really had a great deal of sympathy for the crew having to be subject to these conditions. After a while the crew came back and I was told they were suffering from frostbite! We resumed on passage and I found out there were no charts for the Newfoundland coast not any in to Botwood. We managed and I insisted we pick up a local pilot at St.Johns to assist us to our destination. With his help and a Canadian Coast Guard ice breaker we neared the loading berth. I had kept the local agent updated with our ETA etc. and asked him if he had the money for my services. Did not know anything about it I was informed. I was not going to dock the vessel until I had the money in my hand. An impasse resulted and I stopped about one mile from the dock and saw the stevedores standing by ready to load. After a while I heard from the agent he had the money and the new captain was there. I instructed him to send the money out in the small work boat which had been used to clear the ice from the dock face. Cash in hand I docked the vessel and bit farewell to the crew. I had been treated with a great deal of respect and emphasised with them and the conditions they were required to endure. After this experience I no longer wanted to do it again as the stress was not worth it. I was offered to be an ice adviser on an Indian vessel in the Antarctica but regretfully declined. This as I knew I would be away for several months and when down there no hope of just leaving and going home. Many don’t know of the conditions down in this part of the world as they could change for the worse at very short notice. There are few places to anchor as icebergs had scoured the sea bottom down to bedrock so anchors would be useless.
Thus I have concluded my stories of how I became a sailor. It was not my intention at the onset to be so verbose but hope you have enjoyed my tales and opinions.
I would appreciate any comments good or bad.
In closing I wish to thank all the people who helped make my career a memorable one and as I have been often asked “would you do it again?”
NO
William M. Ross master mariner
A tribute to my father on his 80th birthday…

On February 6th, 2016 my father turns 80 years old. Words can not properly express how much I appreciate and admire him as a person, but one thing is certain – I definitely owe him the courtesy of trying. So here goes….

I didn’t grow up with the typical father-son relationship that many people are accustomed to. You see, my father was a Captain of a ship which meant that from the time I was born until my second year of my undergrad my father would typically be away for three months at a time, and then come home for two months. During the time he was away we often had no chance to speak or visit with him as talking via satellite phone was prohibitively expensive at that time.

It is important to note for context that a Captain of a ship is not your typical leadership role. When you are out at sea, the unexpected is a core part of your job – the leadership is much more of a dictatorship than traditional management. It meant managing an engineering team, a group of senior officers, and all of the ship’s support team in an environment where uncertainty was often the only certainty you had. On across the world voyages, this responsibility meant my father never had the liberty of allowing any form of doubt for his abilities as losing the respect or belief in his leadership or decisions could literally cost dozens of lives and tens of millions of dollars’ worth of equipment and cargo.

As a child who grew up during war times in Britain who left to go to sea to complete his officer training at age 16… to say my father was a regimented and strict man would be a significant understatement. Unfortunately, it turns out the same ideology that makes you successful as a Captain at sea doesn’t translate all that smoothly to the parenting/leadership of an ultra competitive, high testosterone teenage male (some guy named Calum) who was without question a greater management challenge than your typical teen. Oil and vinegar were significantly more mixable than my father and I from the period I was twelve through until a much later date (which is subject to debate ).

I don’t recall my father throwing a football or baseball with me, we rarely went to sports games, and I remember feeling very cheated about this at various times in my childhood and teenage years. As an adult – what I have come to realize now is that without question I won the proverbial ‘dad -jackpot’ when I consider what he taught me when he brought me up. Here are a few of the key lessons that I am forever grateful for:

1) Quality work is the only kind of work that is acceptable. Other kids may have had chores and an allowance – but I often had full bed and chore quality inspections. Cabin inspections weren’t only for officers of the ship…they were equally important for a Captain’s son at home. It was not uncommon for dust on a bedside table or an unmade bed to disqualify me from my weekly allowance (until done right). Before the age of twelve I learned to take pride in the quality of my work and learned to expect the same of others. I had incidentally also realized I could do my sisters chores and make more per week. 

2) Punctuality is not a target - its a form of respect. In a ship more than three football fields long where timelines of work were critical – failed deadlines or being late for shifts was not tolerated. Being late at sea meant loss of privileges. Being late for when my father was home meant the same. To this day I still feel irresponsible and disrespectful when I am late for anything or anyone.

3) Giving up and quitting are concepts I can sparsely understand. In the house I grew up in there was no such thing as try. Agreeing to do something meant you have given your word and words were not to be broken. I learned early that with effort and tenacity almost no goal was unattainable.

4) If you want others to follow you must lead by example. The way my dad maintained his own cabin, his polished shoes, pristine polished brass, and his respect and commitment for his direct reports made me appreciate the importance of practicing what you preach. Less than a year ago one of crew, David Trow, sent me a Facebook message unsolicited: “Hi Calum, I sailed under your father William Ross, a great captain. It was 1970 … a great captain and a very happy ship under his leadership”
Lakercapt

One late fall when sailing the Comeaudoc we were to load in Sept Iles. The weather when we were supposed to load was extremely poor with gale force winds. If we did not come in to load I was informed we would lose our turn and a large bulk carrier would go in. This very large carrier would take at least two days to load. He of necessity would use at least two tugs and pilot so weather was not really a big concern. In spite of my feeling about not getting a payment for doing it I decided to hell with it I will at least try. I did not use the normal approach but going in I dropped the port anchor and let the cable out to one shot on the gypsy. That was my brake and if it was too bad the way off the dock. I did go alongside using the anchor and engines managed to put her alongside in a perfect manoeuvre. Even with the waves and gale force winds we touched the dock with hardly a bump. As one mate used to say “like kissing your sister”. I was very happy it turned out well as had it been a disaster dogs would not have licked my blood. I went ashore to phone home and the two pilots who had been on the dock observing, told me it was a magnificent piece of ship handling. This made me feel good.
Later that season when we were down bound in the Welland Canal I was relieved and went home on vacation. It was about ten days before Christmas so I was pleased about this timing. My happiness was not for long as two days later I received a phone call from the shore captain, Captain K. To inform me that I would not be employed next season as they did not foresee bringing out all the boats. I was to be terminated and a severance package would be in the mail. This was quite unexpected but with the track record of this company not surprising. When the compensation details were couriered to me I did not anticipate the amount offered. I knew they were tight fisted but the offerings were an insult so I decided to consult a lawyer. He agreed with me this was inadequate and not to sign anything. Back and fore we went and it was soon apparent there would be no resolution so I reluctantly instigate a lawsuit against the company. I knew when this happened I would no longer work on the Great Lakes. Any company I applied to would consult my previous employer for a reference and I doubted M.N.P. would supply one. Whatever you may think all the “Lakes” companies have an incestuous relationship and exchange information except about business. We filed suit in our region but they strongly appealed this and got the change of venue to Thunder Bay. When I heard this I told my legal adviser that we would lose. There is no way any judge in T.B. would award against a prominent local family. I was correct but later.
Lakercapt

To deviate a little from these episodes, one summer we had relatives over from Scotland on vacation. We had done the Cookes tour things before, i.e. Niagara Falls etc and thought of something different. A cruise on the Muskoka lakes. There is a very interesting boat which offers cruises in the summer time called the RMS Segwun. This is the oldest operational mail steam vessel in North America and was built in Scotland and then shipped over in parts and re-assembled. If you wish to know more “Google” it. She was originally a paddle steamer but converted to twin steam reciprocating engines. The cruise round the islands is very interesting and some of the multimillion dollar cottages take your breath away with their opulence. I asked the chief engineer for a visit down the engine room and was fascinated by the two little reciprocating steam engines that purred away like a Swiss watch. The smell and sounds took me back to my first ship with the hot oil blended with the steam. Very nostalgic. I went up to the pilothouse and was looking in when the captain beckoned me to come in. He was steering and said to take over and steer in that direction and off he went. I am certain this trick was done many times to other passengers. It was not unsafe as the mate was over in the corner polishing the brass work and keeping his eye on me. After about fifteen minutes he came back and was surprised to see we were still on course and heading in the right direction. How did you do that was his comment? I responded. Bet you have done that before and scared the person but you picked the wrong guy this time. I then enlightened him to the fact I was a captain on the “Lakes”. Oh that is why you can steer. No I have three wheelsmen that do it for me but I was sixteen when I learnt to steer. We had a good blether afterwards. I can understand why the people built these summer retreats in this area as it is very scenic and peaceful.
Lakercapt

Unlike other “Lake” companies Patterson’s did not have yearly meeting for the masters and Chief engineers to get together with the management and office staff. I think his was a mistake as I think it important to have an exchange of ideas and maybe fix some potential problems. I could also result in ways to make the operation more proficient. One meeting a dietician was brought in to extoll the virtues of proper eating and a balanced diet. Why I wondered as the people she was talking to have very little if anything to do with the food which was sent on board. When the cook presented me with his store list (or should I say wish list) I forwarded it to Thunder Bay. It was reviewed by a person that you would not allow to shop for your groceries. He had the ultimate decision what was sent on board. He really had no training in this sphere as a cook or steward from sailing on ships would have known the necessary items and which was really wishful thinking. As I did the shopping when home, my wife had a full time job with the bank, I was aware of the costs of many items. Was surprised at how many substitutions made which were more expensive or not suitable. It was beyond my control whichever way it went. The one thing I liked was you got chance to meet other persons which you only spoke to on the phone or radio. Surprising how the image you had formed was not at all how the person appeared. An exchange of ideas was never a session subject or a session about concerns of the shipboard personnel. These face to face meeting might have resolved niggling problems but this is only my opinion. I was dismayed at the cavalier fashion the company treated the masters and chief engineer. I was sent to join a boat in the Welland Canal and when I got on board the master Captain C. The most senior master was with his wife. What are you doing here I was asked. Told him I was his relief. He was surprised and went ashore to call the office and was most upset as he had not expected this and had planned to have vacation later. Got off not a happy camper. At another time he was suspended for some reason or another. Hardly the way to treat one who had been forever with the company. I asked once about a wage increase as there had been no salary or pilotage increase for ages but did not get a response. An example of how to obtain the best from the masters. (In a pig’s ear). We used to often load in Pointe Noir or Sept Isles iron ore wharfs. Previously we were required to employ a pilot and tug boats (s) to berth and depart. This was not a difficult manoeuvre and any “Lake” captain could do it with breaking into a sweat. The lake companies got an exemption and were now not required to have the pilot or the tugs. This was a massive savings for the ship owners. I queried the savings and asked if as masters we would get a bonus for doing this. The reply I received gave me that warm fuzzy feeling, quote “you get to keep your job”

Unread post by Guest »

Alan Francis wrote:
Alas the Windoc incident saw their demise.
CSL and NMP were in negotiations prior to the Windoc incident.
Interesting. it was reported at that time that the Windoc incident was "the last straw for Paterson" that caused them to exit the business.
Alan Francis

Unread post by Alan Francis »

Alas the Windoc incident saw their demise.
CSL and NMP were in negotiations prior to the Windoc incident.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:As was said somewhere else here on this board Patersons thought they had a contract for her beyond that season, and you might know this Cap but didnt the grain going to Russia get cancelled in 92 for good, Quedoc was even in the process of fitting out when her orders got cancelled.
The Vandoc was to be used mainly in the upper lakes and the Russian grain contract did not have anything to do with her demise. It was the loss of small contracts that saw her ending. The Mantadoc could fill all the needs. I don't know about the Quedoc but as she was a fuel bandit with whose engines which could only use expensive diesel. I felt there were many wrong calls which happened too often and their crystal ball needed replacing. Alas the Windoc incident saw their demise. BO HO I did not shed any tears as i will relate soon.

Unread post by Guest »

As was said somewhere else here on this board Patersons thought they had a contract for her beyond that season, and you might know this Cap but didnt the grain going to Russia get cancelled in 92 for good, Quedoc was even in the process of fitting out when her orders got cancelled.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:I know Vandoc sat and rotted away in Thunderbay but were they not thinking about sailing it with a skeleton crew down below for scrap, and they couldn't get permission from coast guard or union or somebody.
When we stripped all the worth while spares and other usefull items there was not much left of value. The Pilothouse was vandalized to such an extemt there was nothing that would be able to be repaired or fixed to operate again. The only way she was going to move was to be towed dead ship. Sad endng to a proud boat and when I think of the effort which was made to get her operational I wonder what brilliant soul made the descision!!

Unread post by Guest »

I know Vandoc sat and rotted away in Thunderbay but were they not thinking about sailing it with a skeleton crew down below for scrap, and they couldn't get permission from coast guard or union or somebody.
Lakercapt

I was there only a few trips and was transferred to another vessel. This was another of the old German ore carriers but it had been involved in a serious fire which gutted the accommodation and bridge. It had to be rebuilt. This was a vast improvement on the Windoc and the master had a cabin on the main deck but also a small one just below the pilothouse. I preferred this and spent most of the time in these quarters as there was a VHF radio station in there. With this you could always aware of what was happening. It could be isolated for the main system for privacy. A new program was introduced which when implemented was a good idea but I found after a while it was just a waste of time. It was a workplace safety and recording committee. The master was not to control these meeting but be in attendance. A member from each department on board was nominated and represented those crew members. I am all for anything which makes for a safer working environment but although this was the main intention I found I just another SYA programme. Reports were to be sent to the office and then any concerns which were brought up by the crew addressed. Many safety problems were valid and if possible were rectified. The engine room was the biggest concern as it was a very hazardous environment and not much could be done. Asbestos was extensively used during the original building as then it was not realised the effect it could have on health. When I first started sailing one of the jobs I did was lagging steam pipes on deck. It was a coil of asbestos type rope which we would wrap round the pipes and then seal it with cement mixed in a big drum. This consisted mainly of asbestos. The whole was then wrapped in a cloth material and sewed. I must have been lucky as I was never inflicted by any ailment which could be associated with the use of this carcinogenic material. One boat had the main fridge and freezer deck covered with lead. The replacement of those two environmental hazards would have involved horrendous costs so were quietly ignored. The crew members who attended these meeting were not enthusiastic even though they were paid overtime to attend. It was usually the third mate who kept the minutes of these talkfests and I sat only interjecting on points outside the parameters of the committee agenda. My opinion was it was all a waste of time except for a few good suggestions.
I was to become it contact with the Vandoc later as it had again been laid up. This time it was for the final time. She was tied up at the Patterson dock up the Kam River and just beside the company office. Alas she had been vandalized and much of any value stripped. We went alongside on the Mantadoc to salvage whatever could be used and to transfer all the fuel, lub oils and spare engine parts. The accommodation was still as left by the crew ad all the new mattress we had got in Montreal we taken on board. Not the way I would have chosen to celebrate Thanksgiving (Canadian). The end was imminent and later the boat was scraped.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:You guys did all that work to get the Vandoc working and looking good and then another fleet undercut Patersons by a lot on the small ports she was suited for, I remember in the winter of 92 Western Engineering did a considerable amount of work on her, steel, engine and other numerous little things. Its too bad it would have been nice to see her out again.
The steelwork was done to repair damage from a collision. A salty hit her when she was at anchor in Windsor. She was laid up for ever shortly after these repairs wers completed. Go Figure!!

Unread post by Guest »

You guys did all that work to get the Vandoc working and looking good and then another fleet undercut Patersons by a lot on the small ports she was suited for, I remember in the winter of 92 Western Engineering did a considerable amount of work on her, steel, engine and other numerous little things. Its too bad it would have been nice to see her out again.
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

Hello Cap, I have truly enjoyed your stories. You are a master mariner and a wise student of human nature. My dad sailed 50 years on the lakes, retiring as a Captain of the Joseph H. Thompson in '82.
But maybe the greatest connection I have with you is your ancestery.
Mon was born in Montrose, Scotland and emigrated to the US in 1926. I am sure if she had known you she would have called you a "Bonnie Laddy". Thanks for all your stories and knowledge! Mike
Lakercapt

I was on a few boats during my tenure with this company. During one season I was asked to go to Montreal and get the Vandoc ready for sailing as cargo had been secured for the rest of the year. This boat had been tied up for over two years and many parts from the engine room, pilothouse and galley been cannibalized. The cabins were not exempted as they were now unliveable. All the lifesaving and safety equipment which remained was out of date or needed replacement. A mammoth task and to make it more so a bunch of guys that had ever seen the boat before or were rookies. It was going to be a major challenge and of course it was all to be done as fast as possible. I would have needed the mythical magic wand as when I thought things were going well another calamity faced us. Initially a few of the crew and I, through necessity had to stay ashore until we got some cabins and services operating. The chief engineer who had been retired was asked to perform magic too. Every day we seemed to be making progress another challenge presented itself and but for my stubborn nature I would have quit. I was determined to beat all the odds and eventually with a lot of help, did so. The Canadian Coast Guard inspectors were in attendance for the safety and life boat and fire drills. Completing the load line, radio surveys all the other requirements for equipment to fulfill what was necessary to operate the vessel. Sometimes they had to attend more than once till it was correct. The ship chandlers were down every day with more supplies and I must have authorized hundreds of requisition forms. The galley had to be restocked from top to bottom and the cooks did an amazing job getting their department into some semblance of order. It was extremely difficult and they deserved a medal. When things in the engine room got operational one major clean up was undertaken. During the time the boat had been tied up seagulls had made nests and covered the structure with birds shit. This had to be cleaned off and the birds were not happy. At long last we were considered operational and the equipment in working order. I and the chief engineer decided trials were important so additional mooring were put out and the engines steering gear etc. tested. All appeared to be OK so the Seaway inspectors were called next before we headed up to get the first cargo. When the holds were opened it was found that when she had been laid up the last crew had just walked off and the residue of the last cargo had not been cleaned out. A mess of rotted grain etc was a sight I did not wish to see but another major clean up on route was needed, this with a new was not to my liking. The say it was a trip of nightmare proportions would not be a good indication of the voyage to Thunder Bay as every day another problem arose with breakdowns etc. Guess that was why I got paid film star wages you would be saying, erroneously if all be told. The first cargo was to Collingwood a port I had never been to and going in presented some bum puckering moments. Good thing about it was my wife could drive up and visit and the Canadian Tire store was close by for parts etc. Part way through discharge we had to turn the boat round stemming the wharf and now were headed in the right direction for departing as the bowthruster was temperamental. Another place we loaded for was Cardinal which was just above Iroquois lock. The cargo we took there was always corn and it went direct to the plant which produced many products from it including syrup and starch and pet food too. It was a fixed discharging leg and the crew had to move the boat regularly. Every time a boat was approaching the lock or departing the leg was removed just in case our boat was pulled from the dock by them passing. Took several days to unload and the mates were pleased as two had to be on deck all the time so plenty of overtime was earned. I made out too as I charged for the full pilotage as the agreement did not stipulate the whole section but just pilotage in the Seaway. Had to get something out of them!
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Was on the windoc once and I think your actually making it sound nicer than it was lol but I cant blame Patersons for that one that was all Hall she probably hadnt had any maintenance done in 10 yrs, Question though Cap was the Cartierdoc which suffered a fire in the 80s and had her accommodations rebuilt any nicer or were they identical ?
Yes the new accommodatios were much better for the crew and the pilothouse was updated.Still the same old engineroom and galley etc.