Historical Perspective in Photos

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: Historical Perspective in Photos

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Paul A wrote:Always love seeing pix of Hullets. Thanks Jon Paul.
I've always been fascinated by them. As a wheelsman or watchman when your docked unloading, you spend your watch manning the mooring winchs on the spare deck. That gave me lots of time to observe and photograph them when possible.
I will have plenty more for you to see Paul
captain

Unread post by captain »

Thank you much for the picture of the Willowdale, much appreciated.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Always love seeing pix of Hullets. Thanks Jon Paul.
Jon Paul

Here is a little variety for a Saturday night.
I included the Sparkman D Foster because William Lafferty mentioned in the E M Young thread that that is what the Young eventually became.
I also included the Willowdale for Captain who noted that Imperial Midland was converted to it in his post.
...and last but not least I included garbear's old homes..the Clarke and the Watson
Attachments
Docked and preparing to unload at McLouth Steel - Trenton MI
Docked and preparing to unload at McLouth Steel - Trenton MI
Pinedale loading in Conneaut...we were docked and unloading pellets then would shift to the coal loader when the Pinedale finished
Pinedale loading in Conneaut...we were docked and unloading pellets then would shift to the coal loader when the Pinedale finished
1st Mate Ric Starcke and GLMA cadet Paul Brown get the mail in Dteroit
1st Mate Ric Starcke and GLMA cadet Paul Brown get the mail in Dteroit
willowdale.jpg
foster.jpg
C M White is on the left, sister ship and fleetmate Tom Girdler is on the right and loading in Escanaba
C M White is on the left, sister ship and fleetmate Tom Girdler is on the right and loading in Escanaba
C M White unloading at Cleveland Lakefront July '76
C M White unloading at Cleveland Lakefront July '76
watson.jpg
clarke.jpg
Old Man

Unread post by Old Man »

I was happy to see the Marquette. My folks were keeping ship on her when I was born. Dad was a captain for Cliffs so he was assured of winter work when the fleet was in layup. Cliffs used to layup several boats in Milwaukee during the winter but didn't last long into the forties
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Was the White built for the Bradley fleet?
Yes, launched 24 July 1915 at Lorain for the Limestone Transportation Company of Cleveland, founded 11 March 1915 to provide a ten-year charter to the Michigan Limestone & Chemical Company, Rogers City. It was named for the president of Michigan Limestone and christened by Margaret McManigal of New York City. The White was by far the largest and most advanced self-unloader on the lakes when placed in service, able to unload 11,000 tons of stone in four hours.
Alex

Unread post by Alex »

Was the White built for the Bradley fleet?
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

William Lafferty wrote:
it was interesting to see several vessels in your grouping with centered pilot houses and made me curious. Was there a benefit to positioning them there, or was it a short-lived trend in Great Lakes shipping?
I assume you mean pilothouses centered close to amidships. Each of the vessels shown with this configuration were originally intended for saltwater service. The Saginaw was a war emergency "laker" built for the United States Shipping Board as Coperas at Manitowoc in 1919, completed after the war, obviously. The Imperial Midland was originally in the South American oil trade as the Talalarite for a subsidiary of Imperial Oil, named for the city in Peru, Talara. The Captain C. D. Secord had been built as a typical ore carrier of the day as the Charles R. Van Hise in 1900 for the Bessemmer Steamship Company at Superior. It was requisitioned by the government to be sent to saltwater during World War I. It underwent extensive modification at Buffalo prior to being cut in two and brought (on its side because its beam was too wide) through the canals but with the cessation of hostilities it never made the complete trip. It was put back together but retained the basic design that had been followed during its rebuilding, with the pilothouse where you see it. Ocean vessels typically had superstructure set back from the bow to protect it from oncoming seas.
Thank you for your very informative response, Mr. Lafferty.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jon Paul wrote:
garbear wrote:
Guest wrote:The Hoyt picture is particularly interesting to me. She appears to be drafting "0" at the bow !
Think from the days when I sailed, if my memory is correct, that would be called her forefoot showing.
When there was still 2 way traffic under the Blue Water Bridge upbound boats used to pump to A + ballast weather permitting which was basically the forepeak and the next set of tanks empty. Boats with bow thrusters you could see right through the tube, lol.
After the Smith sinking and one way traffic was implemented, upbound boats would sometimes need to "tread water" below Port Huron Traffic Buoy and this required ballasting so that the bow thruster could assist in keeping the bow from falling off in the current.

..and yes garbear, I have some special Clarke and Watson shots just for you brother
You're the best, Jon Paul!!
William Lafferty

Was the Saginaw with "Buick's the Beauty on its freeboard," both: A.) a former Poker Fleet boat; and B.) probably a hauler of cars for General Motors?
It was of the same general standard design as certain of the "Poker" fleet, as I mention elsewhere here, a World War I "laker." It carried scrap steel and finished steel, but especially pig iron for GM's Saginaw Products plant at Saginaw back in the day. Saginaw Dock & Terminal was part of Oglebay Norton.
William Lafferty

it was interesting to see several vessels in your grouping with centered pilot houses and made me curious. Was there a benefit to positioning them there, or was it a short-lived trend in Great Lakes shipping?
I assume you mean pilothouses centered close to amidships. Each of the vessels shown with this configuration were originally intended for saltwater service. The Saginaw was a war emergency "laker" built for the United States Shipping Board as Coperas at Manitowoc in 1919, completed after the war, obviously. The Imperial Midland was originally in the South American oil trade as the Talalarite for a subsidiary of Imperial Oil, named for the city in Peru, Talara. The Captain C. D. Secord had been built as a typical ore carrier of the day as the Charles R. Van Hise in 1900 for the Bessemmer Steamship Company at Superior. It was requisitioned by the government to be sent to saltwater during World War I. It underwent extensive modification at Buffalo prior to being cut in two and brought (on its side because its beam was too wide) through the canals but with the cessation of hostilities it never made the complete trip. It was put back together but retained the basic design that had been followed during its rebuilding, with the pilothouse where you see it. Ocean vessels typically had superstructure set back from the bow to protect it from oncoming seas.
Jon Paul

Darryl wrote:Was the Saginaw with "Buick's the Beauty on its freeboard," both: A.) a former Poker Fleet boat; and B.) probably a hauler of cars for General Motors?
Bookworm wrote:Jon Paul, for me, a relative newcomer to all things ships, it was interesting to see several vessels in your grouping with centered pilot houses and made me curious. Was there a benefit to positioning them there, or was it a short-lived trend in Great Lakes shipping?
Hopefully Mr Lafferty can help with this set of questions.
I know most of the Canadian tankers had the pilothouse centered in the middle of the hull and there were plenty of ships built during the WW1 Era that were called "Lakers" that were basically the same pattern as the Saginaw.
Jon Paul

garbear wrote:
Guest wrote:The Hoyt picture is particularly interesting to me. She appears to be drafting "0" at the bow !
Think from the days when I sailed, if my memory is correct, that would be called her forefoot showing.
When there was still 2 way traffic under the Blue Water Bridge upbound boats used to pump to A + ballast weather permitting which was basically the forepeak and the next set of tanks empty. Boats with bow thrusters you could see right through the tube, lol.
After the Smith sinking and one way traffic was implemented, upbound boats would sometimes need to "tread water" below Port Huron Traffic Buoy and this required ballasting so that the bow thruster could assist in keeping the bow from falling off in the current.

...and yes garbear, I have some special Clarke and Watson shots just for you brother
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Was the Saginaw with "Buick's the Beauty on its freeboard," both: A.) a former Poker Fleet boat; and B.) probably a hauler of cars for General Motors?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Great photos, Jon Paul! Hopefully you've got a Clarke or Watson in your collection.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Jon Paul, for me, a relative newcomer to all things ships, it was interesting to see several vessels in your grouping with centered pilot houses and made me curious. Was there a benefit to positioning them there, or was it a short-lived trend in Great Lakes shipping?
Jon Paul

Thanks for all the encouraging words. This isn't "MY" thread and my hope is that anyone and everyone who has a comment, anecdote or interesting observation will jump in and contribute so that we all can share and maybe even learn a bit.
I will endeavor to post a variety of different photos with a mix between ones taken while aboard the boats I was on, older B & W boat pics and many newer color shots taken at Port Huron after taking a shore job.
Jon Paul

captain wrote:I love the picture of the Imperial Midland. I was on her in 1961-62 and 63 after she was converted to the Willowdale. Probably my favourite job in all my time sailing.
Thanks Cap, I always loved seeing the Imperil tankers with their black hulls and burgandy cabins, they were so well maintained. They frequently docked at the refineries in Sarnia and their diminutive size was always such a contrast to the massive 700+ footers coming into the fleets for the US and Canada.
captain

Unread post by captain »

I love the picture of the Imperial Midland. I was on her in 1961-62 and 63 after she was converted to the Willowdale. Probably my favourite job in all my time sailing.