Jon Paul, Charles M. White

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: Jon Paul, Charles M. White

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Guest wrote:Was the rear cargo hold behind the engine on the Triplets used for cargo ? TIA
The only time I saw it used was for access to the engine room when parts or drums of oil and lubricants were lowered down. The actual hatch covers were wood planks and it was battened down and tarped.
There was a complete machine shop with grinders, several lathe's and lots of angle, bar and sheet stock adjacent to the hatch on one of the lower decks of which there were if my memory serves me.
My understanding was that as an ocean Navy ship built for the war, they needed to be able to make what they needed on the fly.

Unread post by Guest »

Was the rear cargo hold behind the engine on the Triplets used for cargo ? TIA
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

BuffaloBobS wrote:Rob,

I do not have any photos of Republic Steel in Buffalo. There are plenty on the internet. You can also visit the Rail Way and Steel Making museum across from the old Republic site at the old Buffalo Color plant.

Bob
Many thanks for the reply Bob. I’ve been searching the webs for many yea S and have met a few people that have helped me out. Greg R really made my spirits bright with a set. Thanks Greg!! The Steel Plant museum has a few of Republic but is majority Beth related.

Unread post by Guest »

Didn't a lot of there ore come up the seaway I remember lots of the Paterson ships up the river in Buffalo.
BuffaloBobS

Unread post by BuffaloBobS »

Jon Paul,

It would be interesting to find out who Republic in Buffalo received their ore from. I was on the Detroit Edison for most of 1979 and we made 4 or 5 trips from Silver Bay to Bethlehem in Lackawanna (Buffalo) but never to Republic.

Bob
BuffaloBobS

Unread post by BuffaloBobS »

Rob,

I do not have any photos of Republic Steel in Buffalo. There are plenty on the internet. You can also visit the Rail Way and Steel Making museum across from the old Republic site at the old Buffalo Color plant.

Bob
Jon Paul

Rob W wrote:Jon,

The C-4’s have been my favorite and by far some of the most interesting lake vessels built. Thanks for the thread, I just read it in it’s entirety and was captivated even though I should probably have gone to her an hour ago. Much appreciated!!

Rob W
Thank A J, he started this thread....I'm just along for the ride, lol

I have been posting some photos of the C-4's on the thread;

Historical Perspectives in Photos

If you go back far enough their are onboard photos of interior areas
And some storm info
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Jon,

The C-4’s have been my favorite and by far some of the most interesting lake vessels built. Thanks for the thread, I just read it in it’s entirety and was captivated even though I should probably have gone to her an hour ago. Much appreciated!!

Rob W
Jon Paul

Bob Schu wrote:Jon Paul, did you ever take any loads into the Republic Steel plant in Buffalo?
For the short period of time that I worked on the MV Buffalo back in 1980, we were shuttling the ore from the plant in Buffalo to the Republic plant in Cleveland pending the cessation of steel making at the Buffalo plant. It was especially sad for me because, I grew-up several miles from the Buffalo plant and had memories of seeing a red glow in the sky every night.
It's interesting you should bring that up because even though Cliffs had the Republic contract, Cliffs boats rarely went to Buffalo and when they did it was usually to Bethlehem Steel.
We only went there twice and in different years.
Does anyone else have an idea how Rebublic in Buffalo got there ore during the 70's??
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Bob,

I too am from Buffalo, but I missed all of Republic besides passing it on the 190 I’m my parents car when I was 3 or 4. Always remembered the light blue Republic color. Do you have any photos or the plant?

Thanks

Rob
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Guest wrote:All three ships were built for Republic Steel to haul iron ore to Republic steel mills on the Cuyahoga river in Cleveland. Back then, the largest ship that could travel that far up the river were 600 feet maximum.

There was some talk in the 1960s of installing a new mid-body to increase their capacity to 28,000 tons, along with self-unloading equipment.
And Buffalo!!! Everyone forgets
Bob Schu

Unread post by Bob Schu »

Jon Paul, did you ever take any loads into the Republic Steel plant in Buffalo?
For the short period of time that I worked on the MV Buffalo back in 1980, we were shuttling the ore from the plant in Buffalo to the Republic plant in Cleveland pending the cessation of steel making at the Buffalo plant. It was especially sad for me because, I grew-up several miles from the Buffalo plant and had memories of seeing a red glow in the sky every night.
Jon Paul

pcolachap wrote:Good morning Jon Paul, regarding unloading in Lorain at the B&O lakefront dock, there weren't any huletts there. The 1961 ShipMasters Directory lists three Brown Electric unloaders with ten ton clam shells. As a "kid" I often to Lorain to see dad's boat either in layup at the old B&O coal dock ~1977 pic~ or to make a trip.
The first trip was 1955 on the brand new George M. Humphrey.
The rigs at the Lakefront ore dock were odd looking to me. They weren't like the Hoover Masons at the PY&A in Ashtabula, but were very heavy looking in appearance. . On the Republic C4 cargo routes, often when loading for Ashtabula, they would do a split load of ore between Duluth and Two Harbors for the Union dock in Bula.
Happy New Year! Mike
Thanks for reminding me about the Lorain unloaders. We were there only a couple of times and I couldn't remember till you jogged my memory.
They were on the west side of the harbor and just to the east of the coal dock and if I remember right they had a strange sound to them.
We were only there for a few hours each time.
I do remember from fit out however that there was a favorite bar for the boat guys called the Angry Bull.
What I always found ironic was that the Triplets came with the Republic contract but actually carried more traditional Cliffs loads than the many other boats in the fleet.
I enjoyed the variety. One of my buddies was on the Caddilac and 99% of their trips were Silver Bay to Republic/Cleveland which is fine if ya live near Cleveland but rather monotonous.
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

Greenshirt, sadly no. I wasn't much of a photographer in those days & the few I had, I misplaced. Sorry! Mike
greenshirt

Unread post by greenshirt »

pcolachap wrote:Good morning Jon Paul, regarding unloading in Lorain at the B&O lakefront dock, there weren't any huletts there. The 1961 ShipMasters Directory lists three Brown Electric unloaders with ten ton clam shells. As a "kid" I often to Lorain to see dad's boat either in layup at the old B&O coal dock ~1977 pic~ or to make a trip.
The rigs at the Lakefront ore dock were odd looking to me. They weren't like the Hoover Masons at the PY&A in Ashtabula, but were very heavy looking in appearance. . On the Republic C4 cargo routes, often when loading for Ashtabula, they would do a split load of ore between Duluth and Two Harbors for the Union dock in Bula.
Happy New Year! Mike

got any shots of the waterfront from back then? former Lorainite here
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

Good morning Jon Paul, regarding unloading in Lorain at the B&O lakefront dock, there weren't any huletts there. The 1961 ShipMasters Directory lists three Brown Electric unloaders with ten ton clam shells. As a "kid" I often to Lorain to see dad's boat either in layup at the old B&O coal dock ~1977 pic~ or to make a trip.
The rigs at the Lakefront ore dock were odd looking to me. They weren't like the Hoover Masons at the PY&A in Ashtabula, but were very heavy looking in appearance. ... On the Republic C4 cargo routes, often when loading for Ashtabula, they would do a split load of ore between Duluth and Two Harbors for the Union dock in Bula.
Happy New Year! Mike
Jon Paul

garbear wrote:Jon Paul-You mentioned the C-4's had to partially unload at either the C & P dock or Lorain. Did you ever unload in Lorain? If so, do you have any photos unloading there? Went by that dock a few times on the Clarke going to the shipyard, but never saw a boat at the dock. Thanks.
We only unloaded there a couple times at the hullet dock in the outer harbor and I don't think I have any photos.
I believe the layup dock we used with the Thompson I posted was the old B & O Dock up river.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jon Paul-You mentioned the C-4's had to partially unload at either the C & P dock or Lorain. Did you ever unload in Lorain? If so, do you have any photos unloading there? Went by that dock a few times on the Clarke going to the shipyard, but never saw a boat at the dock. Thanks.
Jon Paul

I posted some photos on the thread;
Historical Perspective in Photos

Unread post by Guest »

[quote="Jon PaulThe C-4 triplets were built for Nicholson - Universal Steamship Co and Managed by Troy Browning Steamship Company (1951-52)
They were sold to Republic Steel in 1952 with Browning still managing.
In 1957 Wilson Marine Transit took over management until 1972 when the 3 were put on Bare Boat Charter (Republic Owners)to Cleveland Cliffs who held the Republic ore contract.

The Louis McHenry Howe, Mount Mansfield and Scott E Land were C4-S-A4 Class cargo ships taken from the James River Reserve Fleet in 1951. The reconstruction was in stages with Maryland Drydock joining the remains stern portions to a new forebody built at Ingalls Shipbuilding in Alabama. Then they were towed individually up the Mississippi and connecting waterways to American Shipbuilding in S. Chicago were they were completed for Great Lakes service in 1951.
Tom M Girdler (Howe), Charles M White (Mansfield) and Troy H Browning (Land) were built to the length of 600' to accommodate their main customer, Republic Steel, whose 2 main steel mills were on the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland and 1 on the Calumet River just up the river from where they were put in service in S Chicago.
The 3 C-4's were able to load to 25' on the Calumet but limited to 22' on the Cuyahoga necessitating the lightering of cargo to that depth usually at Cleveland C & P and occasionally Lorain, then proceeding upriver to either Upper or Lower Republic Plants.
In 1955 the Troy H Browning's name was changed to Thomas F Patton.

Though there were rumors of lengthening and conversions the fact that Republic Steel retained ownership throughout and that they had no interest in putting any money into them ultimately ended those discussions.

I will post some more C-4 photos later today.[/quote]

Thanks Jon Paul and others for the details and background info. Lake boats are very interesting to look at but knowing their story adds the colour and dimension that makes this hobby so absorbing.