My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
RCRVRP

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Was the idea of going away to sea considered exotic, fanciful, daring, romantic, crazy,ridiculous, intelligent.... or something else at that time and place?

What did your peers, your family and the neighborhood think of the idea?

Was sailing considered a noble pursuit?
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

Our scout camps all had something in common; they were in a field and were close to a burn (stream) or river with woods nearby. The river or burn was where we would wash and play and the woods as a source of wood for the campfires. A local farmer would bring fresh milk each day in large milk churns and the potable water. Eggs too would be welcome. As I mentioned before meats were still on ration so prior to going off camping we had to give the scout master our week’s coupons so he could arrange for a local butcher to supply us with sausages etc. It was all go from the time we got up early in the morning till the evening when we sat round the camp fire with our mugs of cocoa and sang songs. We would put potatoes in the fire to cook and occasionally have dampers. This was made with flour and water which we rolled in thin strips and wound round a freshly debarked twig and held it close to the fire to cook. I believe this was an Australian invention. At the end of the evening it was off to the tent and sleep. If you had been on a camp before you knew to bring a few goodies to munch on and share with your tent mates. Scotland is not known for warm climate and rainy days were not infrequent but there was always something to do like classes to teach you to tie knots and tree recognition. The guys who had the misfortune to be on the cooking duties still had to carry on. The food was basic and not well cooked at times but as I had survived school dinners I managed to eat it. In the morning we would alternate with a cooked breakfast and cereals which were all wheat based. We did not get corn flakes till latter in the UK as after the war Britain was nearly bankrupt and did not have the foreign currency to all it to import many goods I.e. foods like beef and corn. One thing that comes to the fore was we brought with us scout staffs. These were long wood poles about six feet which we carried when out hiking and were taught how to lash them to help make temporary shelter supports. The camps were for two weeks duration and midway through the camp had a parent day when our parents could visit for the day. Some of the scouts who had never been away from home would be homesick and wanted to go home but this was discouraged. The latrines were really disgusting and we had to dig them deep so soil was added each day. At the end of camp they were filled in and the sod replaced. By the time camp ended I don’t think there were many of us really clean as washing each day in the cold water burn was not for the faint of heart. There no showers or hot water for bathing.
I was getting to the age when I had to give some thought on what I wanted to do for a living. There were no such things as school counsellors to help you in your career choice. It was shortly after the school leaving age had been raised from fourteen to fifteen so I had soon to seriously give it some thought. The idea of going to sea as a cabin boy was forgotten and my next thought was to go to sea as a radio operator (Sparkie). My father went to Leith Nautical College to enquire about the choices open for me. He met a person whom I had a great deal of admiration for, Captain Tate. He suggested I might consider doing the pre sea training course for cadets. This, to give you a start on becoming a deck officer in the Merchant Navy. It was still a few months before decision time and I still attended school which to be frank, I hated. Just before my fifteenth birthday I was given a form to have my parent complete allowing me to leave school at the end of the term when I attained my fifteenth birthday. I forged their signatures and went home at the end of the school term and informed them I was finished with school. Their reaction was not congenial and quite the argument followed. I was back at school the next term. Doing this allowed me to get the Secondary School Leaving Certificate. I was a little early to start the Cadet programme so attended a private school to be tutored in maths and physics.
Lakercapt

During the time I was working at the butcher shop I had saved up enough money to buy myself a new bike. It was an upgrade from the old three speed one I had been using. It was a make called Dawes and had a derailleur six speed gear with racing handle bars. As with all bikes in the UK there were fenders (we called them mud guards) they stopped the tires throwing water on to you when riding in wet weather, not an unusual occurrence in Scotland!! I and a couple of friends joined a group called Scottish Youth Hostelling Association which offered accommodation in many locations in the country. They were not luxury but dormitory style sleeping and a communal kitchen. You were required to supply your own sleeping bag and staying at one location was restricted to two days. We would set out on the Friday evening or Saturday if we were on school holidays and limit ourselves to fifty or so miles before stopping. In those days there was not much traffic on the roads so it was not too far. We did on one occasion, cycle from Edinburgh to Arbroath. This we agreed was really a bit far. We went to South Queens Ferry and got the ferry across the Forth and then cycled to Broughty Ferry and caught the ferry across the Tay and to Dundee. Next it was on to Arbroath. One of the friends had an aunt there and we stayed with her. His cousin invited us to a ceilidh which is a gathering where dancing and singing take place in traditional Scottish fashion. We were rather tired but this was too good an opportunity to pass up. We slept overnight and next day repeated the journey back home. I look on this now and think how fit we must have been to do this long journey. I was also a member of the Boy Scouts. This organization was founded by Lord Baden Powell and was to help young boys acquire the skills and training to help in your formative years. I enjoyed this as we would meet weekly and have games and learn about the countryside and how to cope with life’s challenges. You could earn proficiency badges for many subjects. The aim was to make you a better citizen. Every year they had a fund raising named “Bob a Job Week” (A bob was the nick name for a shilling which was the twelfth part of a pound). You would offer to work at any chore for the payment of a bob. As you got progressively better you could be promoted to “Second” and then Patrol leader. During school break in the summer we would go camping for two weeks out in the country. The groups had names and numbers and this was sewn on to your uniform. An inspection was held every meeting and you had to make sure your uniform was clean and the neckerchief and toggle in position. These rules were of a very military style but I did not mind them. Camping meant we rented a moving type van and loaded all the equipment, tents and cooking gear as well as our kit bags with personal clothing and blankets and ground sheets. When this was all loaded we would pile in the back and to the compriament of lusty singing proceed to the camp site which usually was not too far away. On arrival the Scout Master would allocate each platoon a site to erect their tent. When this was done he and his assistant Scout masters would allocate some to dig latrines and others to erect the kitchen tent and get the stoves etc ready. Most of us had never cooked but this was not a deterrent as all had to take turns cooking the very basic meals under the watchful eye of the assistant. Peeling potatoes for the lunch and dinner was a mammoth task and everyone had to take their turn. It was not something new for me as my mother had insisted my brother and I learnt to do basic cooking and peeling potatoes was something we were used to. I could cook some of the breakfast items no trouble and my porridge (oatmeal) was edible and fried eggs not a glutimous mess .
More later

Unread post by Guest »

Hi Captain! Thank you for taking the time to share your stories with us. The last one you posted had me laughing. Sounded like an "Oor Wullie" escapade!

Unread post by Guest »

Wonderful stories Captain ! I'm thoroughly enjoying them ! Most of the kids in the school picture have a twinkle of mischief in their eyes.
Lakercapt

There was a large boiler where fat trimmed from the meat was rendered down. This was put into shallow containers and allowed to cool then sliced and sold as lard. It was a great opportunity for us hungry boys to purloin a few sausages and put them in there to cook unbeknownst to the owners. Didn’t not know anything about Tran’s fats or other things which are supposed to be bad for you.
In our house we always had a pet dog of some description but all were what we called Heinz variety, mongrels’ and I grew up to love dogs. Being a butcher delivery boy gave me an opportune to have scraps of some sort from the store. When I went out on deliveries my pockets bulged and the dogs would greet me with enthusisium, even guard dogs. One day this was just about my downfall. I was out delivering and a few dogs were faithfully following me. I had a basket nearly full of customer’s orders with their name and address written on them. Went up to one house which was on the second floor of an old tenement. I returned and to my horror the dogs had tipped my bike over and were helping themselves to my deliveries. I managed to chase them off and discovered some of the packages damaged and contents scattered. I hastily re-wrapped these packages the best I could but unfortunately I did not know who had ordered what. Delivered the rest but I guess I did not do a good job of getting the contents correct as when I got back to the store the telephone had been ringing off the hook from customers who had received the wrong orders. I should remind readers that meat was still on ration and the customers had to hand over coupons for different meats so the person ordering a beef roast and getting sausages were not amused. I did not tell them what had happened and only said I delivered what I was given and said the butchers must had made them up wrongly. It was an excuse which was accepted with a great deal of skeptics and hey remade up the wrong orders and I was careful the dogs did not get a chance to repeat their feast.
Lakercapt

To revert to some earlier posting , I was trolling the web and was surprised to find an old school phhotgraph of me that was taken around 1945/46.
This is the only photograph I have of this period im my life. It was discovered by someone searching the old school records before the school was demolished.
I am on the bottom row second from right
Attachments
school.jpg
school.jpg
Lakercapt

I was to assist the driver of their small van which serviced the local farmers and outlying communities that did not have a store nearby. It only involved two evenings a week and all day on Saturday. I started at six thirty on Saturday morning getting the bakers’ boards loaded and any other odd jobs which needed doing. I would be in the back and this allowed me to access one of my favourite treats (even to today), Marzipan. It was in a big container and used to decorate cakes. I would have a big handful in my pocket and this I tried to ration to last the whole day. Speaking of rationing, it had finished for bakery products so we did not need the hassle of collecting points. Some bread was baked on premise but later on more and more was brought in from the large producers. There was no such thing then as wrapped or sliced bread. I could balance a baker board on top of my head before the job was finished. It was interesting visiting some of the farms and even a couple of convents. At the farms I would occasionally get fresh eggs which were a treat because these were not readily available (I got nothing at the Convents!) The driver was a good companion and related many tales of his time in the army. He even tried to teach me to drive on lonely country roads but I never did master it. One of the perks was I would occasionally get some of the produce we did not sell.
On Saturday evening a group of us would go to the “pictures” (movies). It would be what was best either going into Edinburgh or to a small town to the south called Dalkeith. When it was the latter a bus ride which at first fascinated me. Being a “townie” I was used to street lighting (this was after WWII) and going to Dalkeith meant the bus went through the country. The first time when we were clear of the village and the headlights illuminated the pitch black road ahead I was intrigued as I have never experienced this before. It was also cheaper which was an added attraction.
It was getting close to the time when I would be required to make a decision as to what I wanted to do for a career. I really did not have any idea and those childhood ambitions were not to be considered. I did not fancy being conscripted in to the Armed forces. This was required of all young men unless you were in a reserved occupation - one being a coal miner which I never even considered. I had heard enough horror stories from my friends whose father or elder brother worked at the local colliery to put that out of possibilities. Being an avid reader the thought of going to sea as a cabin boy was the pick of them all but my parents were against this idea. I still had some time to go so there was no hurry. The job in the bakery came to an end when the brothers realised it was not financially feasible to continue the van route so ended it. A friend at school told me a butcher in his neighbourhood was looking for delivery boys. This was in Edinburgh and required me to get into town and now my bike was used extensively. There were four of us and we each had a delivery bike which was a great brute of a thing with a small front wheel and a metal frame to allow a big basket to fit there. The butchers would take orders for the customers and these were prepared and wrapped in brown paper and the address written on the paper. A bunch of orders would fill the basket and away we would go and deliver them. When I said these bikes were brutes this was an understatement as they were difficult to steer and tough to pedal. When we stopped it was necessary to lift it on to a stand so it would remain upright With a full load of deliveries sometimes it was too hard and we would get off and push the ******* thing. When not delivering, one of the chores would be to pluck chickens. These were delivered in cages, live and the butcher wrung their necks. I hated this job as when the birds stated to cool down any fleas that were on it went to the next warm body, mine. I would tell my mother about this and so was required to remove my clothing before entering the house. At this time butcher meats were still on ration (the last thing from the war years and it did not stop until 1954 many years after the war ended). All this and other things the customers would not like to see were done in the lower level of the shop. There was a large boiler where fat trimmed from the meat was rendered down. It was a great opportunity for us hungry boys to purloin a few sausages and put them in there to cook unbeknownst to the owners.
Lakercapt

I knew we townies were accepted into the fold ,so to speak, when the next summer I was elected by the locals to be in the Gala day. The Gala day Queen was elected as were her court. I was elected as the second highest boy and given the role of crown bearer. I did not even know there was an election, or who it was that put my name on the ballot. The first knew of it was two of the ladies from the committee appeared at our home to tell me. I, at first refused but my parents convinced me to gracefully accept as this was a big step in our “integration”. I did it and we had to practise our roles for the big day and get dressed in period costume. The big day arrived and with due pomp the Gala Queen was crowned. We went on a float pulled by horses and paraded round the village behind the local pipe band. Afterwards a big picnic and games etc were held at the local park We found the new home to be a great place as there were many things to do and there was a “Social Hall” which held a youth club. In the summer we went on our bikes to Gullane as it had a wonderful sandy beach or up to the Pentland hills. Pack a picnic lunch and come home before it got dark and this was very late in the summer months. Only a short distance from us we discovered an old lime stone mine. This was long abandoned and the entrance covered. Rain had washed a bit away leaving a small opening. When I think of what we did there it makes me shudder as we could have got into serious trouble. We would climb in and with homemade torches made from rubber tubing explore the many tunnels. They extended some ways in and on one memorable occasion just managed to get back out when the last torch fluttered out. Some of our group told their parents and the entrance was closed so we could not do it again. Many years later when I visited the area all was changed and I wondered why anybody would be so foolish as to build houses on top of this old mine. I was proven correct as they were later abandoned and bulldozed down when the ground started to subside. The coal mine too was closed and the siren was no more heard to summon the mine rescue team when an accident at the mine occurred. The down side was the school I had to attend. I had to get a bus into Edinburgh. It was a country bus as the city buses did not service the area till much later. The school was an old one and the teachers by today’s standards sadistic. Any perceived misdemeanor and we were given the strap. This was a leather tawse and you held your hand out, palm up and they hit you with great force. It was painful and I, not being a great stickler for rules had it inflicted on me more than once. It was later banned and not before time as some of the teachers ruled by fear and I am certain enjoyed this form of discipline. This school was not integrated and the boys and girls were separated. I did enjoy the practical side of it as there were carpentry and metal work courses as well as other useful classes. I learned skills there which were helpful in later life. On the whole I disliked school intensely contrary to the old saying “school days are the happiest days of your life”. After the paper route was ended one of the local girls who went to school with us told me her father was looking for a lad to help on the delivery van. Her Dad and his brother owned one of the local bakers. There were two making slightly different products. It was the William’s brothers I went to work for.
Lakercapt

Gilmerton was a typical mining village and the coal mine, which used to be privately owned, had now been “Nationalized” by the government and was on the south side of the village. The shops and stores were mainly family owned except for the co-op store. With the influx of newcomers many of these stores flourished including one I will come to shortly. There were two bakers and the usual cobbler, butchers, and small general stores as well as a branch of a chartered bank. The post office was in the old part of the village. The local fish and chip shop and a small cafe more or less completed the retail segment but an electric store came as a TV was introduced. It would not be complete without the local pub. As with many mining villages they had the miner’s social club with a bowling green at the back. After we had established ourselves in the new surroundings, I being used to having my own money, found a job. It was delivering newspapers for one of the original shops. It was newsagents called “Runcimans” and his business had increased dramatically with the influx of us “townies” so he needed extra paper boys/girls to deliver them. I was hired and given a route. A large canvas paper bag and a card with the addresses of the people and the newspapers they were to receive. We had a morning rounds and many published newspapers. We went to the store in the morning about six thirty the owner and his wife had sorted them all out for the many routes. In the evening there was only two, The Edinburgh Evening News and the Dispatch. I used to try and memorize the route so I did not need to consult the card but it was kept up to date with any additions or cancellations. The evening route for some of us was extensive and the bag heavy. He had about twelve of us delivering for him but another group of older boys/girls for Sunday deliveries as they all were large publications and many of them. After a while I was familiar with many routes so should someone be sick and not turn up I was asked to do additional deliveries. One route I had was a long one as I walked from one end of the village to the other. I tried it with my bike but it was too awkward. I was given an extra penny to pay for my bus fare back. I did this for a while but although there were additions we did not get a pay increase. I also found out the shop owner was charging each customer a delivery fee (my parent were customers and this is how I found out). When I told this to the other delivery people they were surprised as it did not take much of a calculation to find out we were being badly under paid. I was asked to approach Mr. Runciman and ask or an increase in pay. He did not receive this well and told me more or less to ***** off. I relayed this response to my partners and they were incensed. Being a mining village they were very union orientated. We will strike was the consensus. I suggested we do this on a Wednesday afternoon as he only opened for the evening delivery as it was their afternoon off. On the next Wednesday we all assembled outside the store just make sure there were no one going in. After a while he came out to see where we were. We are on strike we told him. I still recall his reaction as he looked at me and said it’s your fault you bloody communist. I should have mentioned that I was the only townie- the others were villagers. Reluctantly he did give us a small rise so we delivered the papers. On Saturday when we collected the papers and our wages I was told not to come back as a replacement had been hired. This was expected and when I told him he better hire ten other kids as the others would quit if that happened. His face was a picture but I only stayed until after Christmas when we got our tips.
Lakercapt

I had an old bike which was rather the worse for wear and wished for one of the new three speed ones which were now becoming available. Factories were now producing consumer goods after only war products. I was told by my parents they would contribute half the costs and I had to supply the remainder. This meant earning some cash so I asked about and managed to get a job with the milk man. He was the person who drove the horse and cart round the area delivering homes with milk. Ths was the same company which delivered the schools with their milk. (Each day students were given 1/3 pint of milk for free) The job was to go round with the cart and pick milk up in two baskets which we then took to each customer. The customers would leave their empty bottles on the doorstep with a “token” to pay for the milk. There were three types of tokens, one for a pint and one for half pints and a third for special milk like the top quality Jersey milk. Some customers paid with cash on Saturdays, and occasionally gave us a tip. We did not deliver on Sundays. The horse knew the route and every stop on the way where we would load up again. When we were delivering the horse would carry on by itself until the next stop. Half way round we fed the horse by attaching a nose bag with bran pellets and rolled oats. It knew exactly when this place was in sight and would halt there until it was fed. On finishing the round some of the lads, there were four of us, would ride to the stables and groom the horse and clean his stall. I seem to recall there were quite a number of horses in the stable. Going home it would pick up speed and as a youngster that was why we went as it was really exhilarating. The only drawback to this job was I had to get up early so when I had enough for my bike I left.
It was during this period that my parents decided they wished to move to another part of town. This was not as easy as it may sound as the house was a “council house” and owned by the City. Housing was very scarce and the only way to do this was by an exchange. Someone willing to exchange their house for your one. The local paper had special section and eventually they managed to find the right one. I was not for this move as it meant leaving all my friends but this was short lived as where we were going was a major improvement. It was a small village to the south of Edinburgh which had not long been incorporated into the city called Gilmerton. This was a mining village and with the expansion many new homes had been built. Most were what were referred to as “prefabs”. Homes which were built in sections, off site, then assembled in position. Looking back I think these prefabs were amazing as although small they came complete with a gas stove and something new to me a fridge which was also gas and a gas clothes boiler. Two bedrooms, a living room, toilet separate and a bathroom. The kitchen was big enough for us all to eat in. One feature which was a real luxury was an immersion heater which could be used to heat the water. Before this the only way to get hot water was by the fire in the living room. There were built in cupboards and wardrobes. To the delight of my father we had a front and back garden. This was one of many which were built on farm land and we were right at the edge so farmer’s fields were very close. The farmer still cultivated the land and I can still recall him with the team of Clydesdales ploughing the fields. His farm was named Hyvot so all the roads and streets were prefixed Hyvots. Farmer Inch must have disliked us and our occupation of his land. He was not the only one to resent the “townies” moving in as the locals whose way of life as changed dramatically showed resentment at first. I had to change schools as had my brother. He was fortunate as there was local primary school but I had to go by public transit into town to my school.
Lakercapt

A visit to my Grandma was an adventure as we would take a bus to town and then ride a tramcar (streetcar) to her home. These tramcars were double deckers and we would try and get to the upper deck and right to the front. There was a same space there which could be closed and have room for five or so people. This was directly above the driver and we had a view of the tracks right ahead. These trams could only go one way and when you got to the terminal the driver would go out and change the collector (the arm up to the overhead wires) and swing it round 180 degrees and hook it back on. Then with his control level it would be ready to do, the return trip. In between times the conductor would be inside and flip the seat backs the other way. My grandma lived on the third floor of a very old building. It was so old the stairs to her flat were worn by the many thousands of f people using them. She was a small lady only 5 feet tall but goodness help you if you incurred her ire. A broom handle would soon get you straightened out. She outlived three husbands and in her later years got religion. She became a devout Jehovah Witness and with these believers would go round from house to house trying to spread their beliefs. As I said it was a venture to visit as she would always have a treat for us. Another attraction was a cousin about my age lived with her. We could get up to all sorts of mischief, hopefully without getting found out. With the trams running in front of her house I conducted an experiment. Someone told me if you put a half penny on the tracks and the tram ran over it you would get a penny. It did not work as all you got was a very flat piece of copper.
My cousin, was my friend most of our life and he was unusual in that my aunt had married an Englishman. I did not care but some of my friends viewed this as a form of treason. We Scots had many wars against the English and still some resented them. I should mention that on these small islands many factions exist and at school we were always told the Scottish version of events. As a country of only about four million souls we were taught about the many many inventions and discoveries made for the benefit of mankind by Scottish engineers, doctors, mathematicians, economists, educators and entrepreneurs. They traveled all over the world, not always by choice and it was once said should all the people of Scottish origin return the island would sink. It would fill many pages if I were to mention them but a good source of details is “Google” Scottish inventors and discoveries. In the USA the reverend Witherspoon was involved with the writing of the Declaration of Independence and the founding of the famous university, Princeton. Most of the colonies adopted English common law as the basis for their judicial system but in Scotland they maintained their own. When you are tried by jury there are 15 persons and there are three verdicts, guilty, not guilty and not proven. Chartered banks print their own bank notes which are legal tender although Bank of England notes are acceptable!!.
WWII ended when I was nine years old and I still remember the celebrations. It took a long time to get things back to normal but one that happened immediately was no more school diners!! I was nine years old at the time. During the war the gardens in front of the school were made into plots to grow vegetables and under male teachers supervision we would dig and sow the vegetable. These were to be used in the school kitchen but I don’t think this ever transpired. Just before the harvest time some miserable people would descend during darkness and steal everything. We were really upset with these people.
The Anderson shelters were dismantled but a gang of us decided to liberate one of the sections. This was shaped like a toboggan and very heavy. In 1947 we experience a very cold winter so the hill in the park down by the harbour was an attraction. His gang of youngsters hauled this section to the park. At the top of the hill a bunch of us would get on and as few others push until it started to move down the hill and jump on. It soon picked up speed and would race down the hill. When I think of this now I shudder! Goodness knows what would have happened had anyone been in our path. Before we reached the wall at the bottom of the hill we would all bale out and watch it crash into the wall. (This wall used to be topped with wrought iron railing but as with many of these walls the iron had been burnt off for the war effort.) It took herculean efforts to pull this back up to the top but many hands make light work and it did give us a thrill.
Being near the harbour a compound was built where equipment and trucks etc. shipped back from overseas were stored after being unloaded from the ships. This was like giving us urchins a treasure trove to explore and that we did. All sorts of “goodies “were expropriated by us rummaging around. Live ammunition was found and it was only when one lad took a handgun to school this was discovered. My father was really upset to find a live mortar round under our bed. One of the prizes “finds” were fire extinguishers in trucks. These were the pump type and filled with CTC which we emptied and now had a very effective water gun. Security was tighten up and it was then out of bounds but we would on a dare go inside and see what we could acquire
Lakercapt

At the age of eleven the education system required all of us to sit what was referred to as the eleven plus exam. The sole purpose of this exam was to “stream” students for the next level of education, secondary schooling. Your marks were studied and those with high marks were destined to go on an academic school. Next were the ones to go the commercial route. The next group in which I was included was the technical courses. It really was a terrible system and although I was in the top ten of our class I did poorly in this exam. I was now on the courses which were meant to prepare you to learn a trade. I never did mind as with this I did learn many skills which were beneficial all though my life. When it was time to leave Royston Primary school and continue my education planning was faulty as there was no school to go to. At the start of the war construction was stopped and only the foundations were laid. A school was tried for one term but it turned out to be too difficult for the students who were required to use public transit so it was back to the drawing board. An old building was next. This had seen multiple uses from an asylum and a hospital treating tuberculosis. It was rapidly converted to house us but not fully finished at the start of the new term. The wise ones hit on the idea of using it by splitting us up - spending part of the time there and part of the time sending us out to broaden our knowledge of our area. The first thing was as this place was not serviced by public transit we were required to be bussed to school. In North America we are used to seeing the yellow buses taking students to school but this was a novel idea then. Each morning at a few chosen assembly areas we were picked up and deposited at the school. Those getting classroom instruction stayed and the others were off our tours. I loved this part as we went to historical places and factories and the shipyard etc. Edinburgh Castle was a favourite as though I had been there many time we had guides explaining and answering questions. This is where the Scottish crown jewels are kept and now the Stone of Scone (look it up on Google). Every day they fire a gun at exactly one o’clock startling people in the surrounding area. (It was stopped during the war). This gun signal was the audible signal to coincide with the dropping of the time ball on Nelsons monument on Carlton hill. This signal was originally intended that ships in the Firth of Forth could set the chronometers. Roslyn Chapel was another place visited. Mentioned in a book called, The Da Vinci Code. It was not in good condition and renovation was slow. (I visited it again when on vacation in 2013 and because of the interest generated in the book renovations were nearly complete) I suggest looking this up on Google to get the history of the place. If I am beginning to sound like I work for the Scottish tourist board I am sorry but the land of my birth is a fountain of history. I have only ever been back twice on vacation in all the time I have been in Canada. In fact I have lived in Canada longer than I lived in Scotland. One place which got high marks from us was a chocolate factory. It was wonderful as we got to taste samples and at a time when rationing was strict and candy near impossible to get. Edinburgh Crystal factory also sticks in my memory. We watched as the glass was made in a kiln and glass blowers formed the shapes which were required that day. On to the cutting out of the crystal and the many ladies who cut the world famous patterns in the glass. It went on to the inspection area and we were asked to see why a sample was rejected. It was nearly impossible in our eyes to detect but the simplest flaw was sent back to be melted down again.
To be continued
Lakercapt

tug trash wrote:i was out on the maumee yesterday capt big drama. very little open water and the pools that are open loaded with ducks and geese there is six pair of bald eagles hunting these pools waiting for one of the duckies to get pinched up or not pay proper attention, then whamo lunched is served, at night the with the rise of the moon foxes and coyote come out looking for a snack along the track of open and brash ice. say capt since you're a citizen of the natural world, are there any phenomenal display of nature that you've seen in your travels that etched in the old memory banks?
When sailing deep sea
It was always a wonder standing on the bow and observing porpoise and dolphins riding the bow wave. Several would do that then swim off and others take their place.
Seeing whales breach and come nearly completely out of the water.
Sharks circling the boat when stopped in the middle of the ocean for engine repairs.
An albatross effortless following in the ships wake for days.
The billions of stars on a clear night in the middle of the ocean away from light pollution.
Phosphorescence lighting up the sea round the ship.
Funnel clouds like tornados carrying water and having to avoid them.
The thousand of sunrise and sunsets.
The power of the sea in bad weather.
Sadly a moose falling in the ice tack broken by the boat in the Kam River at Thunder bay and knowing we could not help it.
In the middle of the ocean come across a large raft of manmade garbage.
tug trash

Unread post by tug trash »

i was out on the maumee yesterday capt big drama. very little open water and the pools that are open loaded with ducks and geese there is six pair of bald eagles hunting these pools waiting for one of the duckies to get pinched up or not pay proper attention, then whamo lunched is served, at night the with the rise of the moon foxes and coyote come out looking for a snack along the track of open and brash ice. say capt since you're a citizen of the natural world, are there any phenomenal display of nature that you've seen in your travels that etched in the old memory banks?
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:ever move any grain out of toledo skipper
Yes many times from the Cargill and others. I also brought cargos of potash. The overseas terminal was a frequent visitor when bringing in cargo from Europe on Saskatchewan Pioneer.

Unread post by Guest »

ever move any grain out of toledo skipper
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

Very interesting as always, thanks for sharing!
Lakercapt

A visit to my Grandma was an adventure as we would take a bus to town and then ride a tramcar (streetcar) to her home. These tramcars were double deckers and we would try and get to the upper deck and right to the front. There was a same space there which could be closed and have room for five or so people. This was directly above the driver and we had a view of the tracks right ahead. These trams could only go one way and when you got to the terminal the driver would go out and change the collector (the arm up to the overhead wires) and swing it round 180 degrees and hook it back on. Then with his control level it would be ready to do, the return trip. In between times the conductor would be inside and flip the seat backs the other way. My grandma lived on the third floor of a very old building. It was so old the stairs to her flat were worn by the many thousands of f people using them. She was a small lady only 5 feet tall but goodness help you if you incurred her ire. A broom handle would soon get you straightened out. She outlived three husbands and in her later years got religion. She became a devout Jehovah Witness and with these believers would go round from house to house trying to spread their beliefs. As I said it was a venture to visit as she would always have a treat for us. Another attraction was a cousin about my age lived with her. We could get up to all sorts of mischief, hopefully without getting found out. With the trams running in front of her house I conducted an experiment. Someone told me if you put a half penny on the tracks and the tram ran over it you would get a penny. It did not work as all you got was a very flat piece of copper.
My cousin, was my friend most of our life and he was unusual in that my aunt had married an Englishman. I did not care but some of my friends viewed this as a form of treason. We Scots had many wars against the English and still some resented them. I should mention that on these small islands many factions exist and at school we were always told the Scottish version of events. As a country of only about four million souls we were taught about the many many inventions and discoveries made for the benefit of mankind by Scottish engineers, doctors, mathematicians, economists, educators and entrepreneurs. They traveled all over the world, not always by choice and it was once said should all the people of Scottish origin return the island would sink. It would fill many pages if I were to mention them but a good source of details is “Google” Scottish inventors and discoveries.In the USA the reverend Witherspoon was involved with the writing of the Declaration of Independence and the founding of the famous university, Princeton. Most of the colonies adopted English common law as the basis for their judicial system but in Scotland they maintained their own. When you are tried by jury there are 15 persons and there are three verdicts, guilty, not guilty and not proven. Chartered banks print their own bank notes which are legal tender although Bank of England notes are acceptable!!.
WWII ended when I was nine years old and I still remember the celebrations. It took a long time to get things back to normal but one that happened immediately was no more school diners!!

Unread post by Guest »

Lakercapt wrote: (I know this is not really nautical but hope the moderators will be patient as I do get back on that later on)
I love the stories. If the moderators are not patient they shall feel my wrath. :)