Algoma renaming

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Pjwh12

Re: Algoma renaming

Unread post by Pjwh12 »

“S.S. American Valor and the S.S. American Victory have the potential to be re-powered as motor vessels, converted to articulated tug barges, or have their forebodies mated with existing modern sterns; however, no immediate plan for these two vessels has been confirmed.”

The above was taken directly from algoma web site
So either they have no plan to do anything with these hulls or they have yet decided what they want to do with them

I find it hard to believe that the largest most diverse most successful shipping company on the lakes would spend that kind of money four 4 hulls without a complete plan as to what they intended to do with them
well before they signed a cheque

Also algom is in the middle of a fleet renewal of new builds worth hundreds of millions dollars and has expanded into ocean trading
and cement these hulls must figure into algomas plans some were
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Why speculate on the Aird....isn't she long gone ?? Just wondering

Unread post by Guest »

If Algoma only plans to scrap several of these, they wouldn't of been bought in the first place.

Algoma Central Marine isn't a charity. If ASC wants to ensure that the steamers are scrapped, they'd of sold them direct to a scrapper just as they did with the American Fortitude.

And Algoma isn't going to be paying better than scrap prices for them only to turn around weeks later and sell them for a loss to a scrapper, as some sort of package deal here just to get the two 1970's era diesels.

It's not like Lower Lakes Shipping is in financial shape to take them, dieselize them, shorten the Valor for river trading, etc. Nor is it likely someone else is chomping at the bits to give it a try, either. So Algoma isn't going to be throwing good money away just to keep them out of the hands of potential competitors.

They may be scrapped or they may not, but I'd say it's safe to take it for granted that a final decision on their fate hasn't been arrived at yet.
Guest wrote:Why didn't they just leave the Montrealais and Quebecois alone for the couple years they ran would it have made a difference, maybe if they changed colour but they didn't even bother to paint them.
They didn't follow through with their unimaginative plan to rename them as the Algoma Montreal and the Algoma Quebec.

They stayed as the Montrealais and Quebecois until the end, just with the addition of Algoma in front of their name. A fine common sense compromise that brought some Algoma identity to their names, while letting the classy sounding names that they had carried throughout their entire working lives for multiple owners remain until the sad end finally arrived.

But with some of the names I'm seeing here, they're reminding me of Algoma Montreal and Algoma Quebec. I hope something a little bit more special is on their hulls when those that end up reactivated finally enter service.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Also consider that since the end of the 2009 season, the Acorn has had very little use. She sailed from July to early January for the 2011 season, then from Sept-Dec for the 2014 season. So almost a decade of little wear on the hull.

Unread post by Guest »

That's what ASC said in the 1990s - Adam E. Cornelius was a "fringe boat" to them. She'll undoubtedly be in better shape than the Aird, considering that she hasn't used the Welland Canal and Seaway locks as often as the John B. Aird.

Unread post by Guest »

Those sound like place holder names, i.e. David Z, Earl W, CTC1, something just to have the ships on the books. I don't hold much hope for the Valor or Victory but the Buffalo and AEC should see some use. Even in the 90's the AEC was ASC's spare hull after the Boland (Saginaw), Inland had her for a few years. Engine wise vs the Aird she should hold the advantage as EMD's are far more common and reliable than what Algoma has.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:We know the Buffalo is a river ship taking Algoways cargoes but where does the Cornelius fit in she hasn't run in a while, she mustn't be to economical or ASC would be using her, I wonder why not keep the Aird newer more economical motors,they know her the crews know her just seems strange.
Since they rarely ventured into salt water, I'm guessing the ASC river class hulls are in better shape then the John B. Aird et al were at this point.

Unread post by Guest »

We know the Buffalo is a river ship taking Algoways cargoes but where does the Cornelius fit in she hasn't run in a while, she mustn't be to economical or ASC would be using her, I wonder why not keep the Aird newer more economical motors,they know her the crews know her just seems strange.

Unread post by Guest »

Why didn't they just leave the Montrealais and Quebecois alone for the couple years they ran would it have made a difference, maybe if they changed colour but they didn't even bother to paint them.

Unread post by Guest »

In the grand scheme of conversions I can't see the cost of a boom being that big of an expense

Unread post by Guest »

Algoma may be looking to convert 1 or 2 of their Chinese gearless bulkers to self-unloaders. Is there any good booms or self unloading gear on those 2 that will be scraped.
Duluth

Unread post by Duluth »

Well, that's
tugboathunter wrote:The "Algo" prefix is dying quickly.
That's too bad, "Algocornelius" kinda had a pleasant ring to it..
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

In regard to renaming the Cornelius (if they use her): since the name is part of the American Steamship's history, it would seem any new name would have to reflect Canada's history, geography, etc.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

re: Duluth Guest
The "Algo" prefix is dying quickly. If rumors are to be believed, then by the end of 2018 the Algowood will be the only ship left with that prefix besides the tankers. Don't expect to see a vessel named using that scheme ever again. Shame because that was unique to Algoma, and now they name their vessels the same way everyone else does.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Buffalo May have been renamed? If you scroll further down on this thread you should notice information and comments people have been making in reference to the Buffalo. They may have renamed her and it appears she now has the name Algoma Buffalo? Again please scroll on down this thread and you should see further information at least on the Buffalo. Hope that this has helped some in answering your questions.

Unread post by Guest »

The farthest the Valor would get for a scrap tow is Port Colborne, as she won't fit through Locks 1-7 and the Seaway, so a rename wouldn't make any sense.

Will ASC be renaming any of their other ships Buffalo and Adam E. Cornelius?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Adam L. sounds like a scrapping name. Hope that's not the case!
Doubt it. Word on the street is that they plan on running her.
MilwBob

Unread post by MilwBob »

Duluth Guest wrote:So you're thinking, since they're not terribly creative regarding names, are we looking at Algoma Valor, Algoma Victory and Algoma Cornelius or do you think it'l be shortened to Algovalor, Algovictory and Algocornelius?
I'm of a mind 2 of them will be shortened to 'Victory' and 'Valor' to facilitate the scrap tows. AEC is anyone's guess.
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

So you're thinking, since they're not terribly creative regarding names, are we looking at Algoma Valor, Algoma Victory and Algoma Cornelius or do you think it'l be shortened to Algovalor, Algovictory and Algocornelius?

Unread post by Guest »

Adam L. sounds like a scrapping name. Hope that's not the case!