2018 Seaway Opening

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Judie

Re: 2018 Seaway Opening

Unread post by Judie »

I heard today the opening is March 29.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

The date has not been listed on the Seaway site as yet.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Someone was posting March 30 on Facebook, but I don't recall a link to a good source. I just looked in two groups that I thought I saw this post, and couldn't find it, so maybe it was deleted.

The 2017 opening appears to have been announced on Feb 17th, so the announcement should be soon.

Steve
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Where are you seeing this and hearing it from? I went on the Seaway’s website just a few days ago and did not see anything so far at least for the Opening of the Seaway. Not sure yet if they’ve posted anything new lately but, again I’ve not seen anything so far. Also if an announcement of the opening date has been set, I would think it would also be posted here on the news page and so far I’ve not seen any announcements on the news page here. I just want to wait and see and read it first and foremost for myself.
NiagaraMike

Unread post by NiagaraMike »

Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe its to open March 23!

Unread post by Guest »

I thought that I heard March 30th for the seaway opening
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Keep checking out the Seaway website as surely they will be making a formal announcement very soon. I would expect to see something at least within the next two weeks to possibly sometime in early March. Should be an interesting Spring Fit Out with lots of ice cover still left on the lakes and Seaway currently. Just wonder if the ice remains at least until Spring, if they may need extra icebreakers to come in like they’ve done in the past with a few Canadians? It wasn’t that long ago that the ice was so bad and thick that they had the Radisson and Martha Black in here a few short years ago. Time will tell and I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes. Could be a few ships fitting out later than usual this Spring as well depending on ice. Sorry to go off subject here.

2018 Seaway Opening

Unread post by Guest »

Any word on a possible Seaway opening date, especially after the late
closing?