Weight of an anchor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Ohio Bob

Re: Weight of an anchor

Post by Ohio Bob »

Great chart Mr. Link. I cant imagine the HP required to pull the largest anchor on that chart - 60,000 lbs. Figuring in anchor, chain, plus the holding power of the anchor itself, that must be one serious winch!
Mr Link

Post by Mr Link »

Jzcleve wrote:Regarding the spare anchor for the Speer/Gott - dimensionally what is the size of that 22500 lbs. - length of flukes, stock and width. Any ideas? Hard to tell by the picture.
Here is a dimension chart for a similar anchor. https://wachain.com/us-navy-stockless/

Also see the standard stockless which has shorter flukes.
Jzcleve

Post by Jzcleve »

Regarding the spare anchor for the Speer/Gott - dimensionally what is the size of that 22500 lbs. - length of flukes, stock and width. Any ideas? Hard to tell by the picture.
BigRiver

Post by BigRiver »

Thanks everyone for the great replies!
Wally Wallace

Post by Wally Wallace »

Looked up on Google and a site popped up called Diesel Ship
There is an article there on calculations on how to calculate the weight of the anchor as well as the weight calculations for the chain
Hope this helps. Wally Wallace

Post by Guest »

Old rigger's rule of thumb: a cubic foot of steel is 500 pounds. If you can do a rough estimate on the size of a steel object, you can calculate the approximate weight. Easier said than done as that freighter passes 200 feet away at 10 knots.
Guest12

Post by Guest12 »

A little off topic, this is by my house south of Ann Arbor, Mi
Attachments
sign4.jpg
anchor5.jpg
Hermie Phillips

Post by Hermie Phillips »

Spare anchor for the Edwin H, Gott and Edgar B, Speer at the Soo Warehouse in 2003. 22500 lbs, I think they have the heaviest anchors on the lakes but not sure.
Attachments
SpareanchoreforGottandSpeerwidePR520-03.jpg
SpareanchoreforGottandSpeerPR5720-03.jpg
Mr Link

Post by Mr Link »

No, but for comparison, the S.S. Badger carries two 7000# bow anchors according to their website, and the Sykes has two 12,000# bow anchors according to the Boatnerd writeup.
BigRiver

Weight of an anchor

Post by BigRiver »

Anyone know the average weight of an anchor used on a 1,000-footer? Someone asked me and I really don't know.