American Victory

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
William Lafferty

Re: American Victory

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Obviously it did once before as the Pioneer Challenger on its delivery trip from Maryland SB&DDCo's Fairfield yard near Baltimore, locking upbound at Port Colborne at 2:47 AM on 11 July 1961. On its first lakes voyage from Toledo to Indiana Harbor it set a record at the latter port delivering 22,186 tons of coal, arriving 18 July 1961.
Hermie Phillips

Unread post by Hermie Phillips »

Did the American Victory have her register opened as Victo, of St Catharines. Ont. Owner Algoma Central Corp? I thought I read on an earlier post where it hadn't showed up on Transport Canada's website.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just curious is all but, is this her first time and trip through the Welland Canal and the Seaway Locks or did she do this early in her career when she was the Pioneer Challenger or the Middletown? I don’t recall ever seeing or hearing of her making any trips or voyages for that matter through the Welland Canal or the Seaway. Thanks for any information.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Bookworm and great photos as always. Thanks for posting them and sharing them with us. To answer your question of If she was towed from Toledo to Duluth or if she got their under her own power? She was not towed out of Toledo in 2008 but rather her last and final load was stone to Duluth and then she entered layup in November 2008 at that time due to the economic recession. She laid up at Frasers in Superior but was later moved and shifted throughout the years to different lay up sites and locations. Hope this helps answer your questions about her. Another interesting fact was in 2008, it would be her last and final time ever to layup for the winter in Toledo as she would never again ever see or visit the Port of Toledo again! Also it’s ironic as that same winter she laid up in Toledo in 2008, the American Valor laid up alongside next to her as well. Hard to believe that was 10 years ago and now look at where both ships are today a decade later? Very sad to see them go!
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Backtracking a few years: I photographed her at Toledo in 2008 and can't recall whether she was towed or made the trip from there to Duluth under her own power.
Attachments
American Victory (formerly Middletown) 2008-01-12a (e).jpg
American Victory (formerly Middletown) 2008-01-12b (s).jpg
American Victory (formerly Middletown) 2008-01-12c (s).jpg

Unread post by Guest »

Is the Victo going to stop at Port Colborne to have more equipment removed?
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

AIS shows them up over 6 knots & if they keep it up, they’l be off CIP 16 by 6PM Friday. The question is, will they come right in or wait until daylight? They will probably stop for Seaway inspection at the old Canada Furnace dock before transiting downbound.

Unread post by Guest »

Anybody care to hazard a guess for Port Colborne ETA?

Is it safe to assume the tow will average about 4.5 to 5 knots across Erie, given the fair weather weather conditions at present?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

It was a great and super morning if anyone was out watching and seeing the American Victory tow on the St. Clair River this morning as there were many boatnerds in Marine City waiting patiently for her and taking photos. I of course was one of the few that was lucky and fortunate to have caught her and photographed her as well on her last and final trip and journey on the St. Clair River. With that said, I bid and say a fond farewell to the American Victory and the former Middletown. Thanks again for all of the many memories and salutes you gave to me along the way and now we say 3 Long and 2 Short and may you have calm seas and fair winds on your way to the breakers. So Long 'Ole Friend as you will be missed by me and many others but, we will forever have the memories and photos of you just like I have on my screensaver when you were once the proud Middletown for Oglebay Norton!
Detroit Paul

Unread post by Detroit Paul »

Just passed under the Ambassador Bridge a few minutes before 1:00 pm.
Last saw her ten years ago in happier times.

Unread post by Guest »

Just past the tip of the thumb now. Took the family to see her at 5am this morning but it looks like it wasn't meant to be. Lots of memories being hauled away in that old girl.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote:I notice on the AIS, the tug Cheyenne is already well below the bridge, by Marysville. Did the Victory pass through already as well? Or did the tug set off for refueling or something?
As of 1:50 p.m. Michigan time the tow is NE of Port Hope, MI doing 5.1 knots.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

AIS has the tow on the northern side of the thumb as of 1:50 p.m. It will be Thursday a.m. for the river.
Delray Boat Guy

Unread post by Delray Boat Guy »

Yes I see that too but the TIM MCKEIL does not always show up on AIS. They still off Harbor Beach? Still looking at an early A.M. transit of the St. Clair River on thursday?

Unread post by guest »

I notice on the AIS, the tug Cheyenne is already well below the bridge, by Marysville. Did the Victory pass through already as well? Or did the tug set off for refueling or something?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Roger for that information and thanks also for updating her progress on the News Page as well. You got some great photos of her from the Soo and hope and looking forward to seeing her on the St. Clair River sometime Thursday. It's still sad to see that she is headed off to Turkey to be scrapped. Another true classic and a beauty leaves us. Thank goodness we have the memories of her and photos as well since those can never be taken away from us! When she left Duluth and passed through the Soo, I don't suppose anyone on board sounded her horn or whistle? Now that would be sweet at least to have somebody blow her horn while she makes her final transit! At least then we get to hear her horn and whistle one last and final time as she waves and says goodbye to all of us!
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

The report should have said Thursday morning. It was late and I was tired... They wish to run the river in daylight.

Unread post by Guest »

Ray wrote:What are the two squares directly below the front of the pilot house? Always been curious what those were. While watching the American Victory go out of Duluth it looked like they are just square opennings but could not clearly tell if they were something else.
I believe you are right, they are openings most likely to provide the pilothouse a better view directly in front of the bow. Such openings also appear on the Saginaw and the John G. Munson, both of which, like the Middletown, have forward cabins three levels in height. As such, these openings would server to decrease the minimum distance visible from the pilothouse.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

What are the two squares directly below the front of the pilot house? Always been curious what those were. While watching the American Victory go out of Duluth it looked like they are just square opennings but could not clearly tell if they were something else.
Marc

Unread post by Marc »

[quote="Denny"]Anyone know or have any guess or ideas as to when they are due to be on the St. Clair River this week? From the news page today it mentioned "They were expected to lock down at the Soo Locks on June 19 around 11 A.M. and were expected to be downbound at the Huron Cut Buoys 11 & 12 around 4-5 A.M. on June 20!"quote]

I believe the news page is in error. It should read 5 PM Wednesday. Not 5 AM Wednesday.