Boatwatching Songs for 2019 Openers

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Wheelsman

Re: Boatwatching Songs for 2019 Openers

Unread post by Wheelsman »

It may sound nuts, but back in the early 80s, my boatwatching song for season openers was Destination Unknown by the Missing Persons. It came out in 82 appropriately enough.
John Scott

Unread post by John Scott »

River Lady by Roger WhittakVery appropriare for fitiut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0kw-TqfeTM
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

One of my favorites and best "A Passing Ship" by none other than the legendary Gordon Lightfoot. You can find this song from his album East of Midnight which I have and he did back in 1986 if I am correct on the year at least? Taking nothing away of course from his earlier greatest hits but, the East of Midnight album also has lots of great hits by him. If you don't have it then check it out! Also and I know this is off subject but, with the ships struggling with the ice conditions and fit out right now one of my all time best and favorite videos and DVDs is "Seasons and the Seas I think it is from Rackleton or something like that maybe?" If you do a search for Great Lakes Freighters Seasons and Seas in Amazon you will find at least the VHS tape of it. I love that video and could watch it over and over for hours. The best part is the beginning of it as it is from high atop the Mighty Mackinaw Bridge and just breathtaking!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Good Call there garbear “Proud Mary” indeed is a great choice and even more with the verse in it of Rollin on the River. I do believe that right now many of us can say and agree with me in part per say that we are all in some way shape or form Rollin on the River and the Water now!
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

The boat dreams from the hill. by Jawbreaker.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Know it's too late, but "Proud Mary" by CCR would have been a good one.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Howard for your comments on my song idea. What I wanna know and find out, “Where’s all the boatnerds at as surely there’s been lots reading and viewing this post?” Cmon already folks just for once can’t we all agree on something here and have some fun with this idea? Also, and YES I did indeed get a new camera but still learning yet the many different ins and outs on it. It is a new Canon Power Shot and lots of new features for instance now it takes a rechargeable battery which will be a challenge as my old one used just regular AA that you find and buy at any store. Next, the new camera doesn’t have at least that I am aware of a small square for looking and viewing your target but rather instead the big square view finder in back if you know what I mean on that? So, it could pose a challenge but in time I know I’ll get the hang of it. Just wish though I could’ve got the old one fixed but hey no way am I complaining not after shooting over 12 years of photos with it and hope the new one will last just as long. Finally, you betcha I am ready for the new season. Just get me into April and the 2019 KYS books and then I am ready and raring to go folks. See you all in the river in 2019!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

You have some excellent choices there, Denny, my friend. Did you ever get yourself a new camera? Are you ready for the new season?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I got the ultimate song but not sure who sings it as there are different forms and versions of this one I know. How about “Shout” but in the more modern version not sorry to say folks the oldies version that you may hear on an oldies radio station if anyone knows what I mean here? Another couple to add Celebration by Kool and the Gang and what about “That’s the way I like it by KC and the Sunshine Band!” More to come.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I gotta go with Van Halen's "Right Now" and Europe's Final Countdown as far as the Final Countdown just before the Midnight Opening time that is if folks will forgive me here and also just before the start up of the new shipping season as well. I'm quite sure and certain that I will have more to come as I have more time to think this one over. Thanks also by the way to Ohio Bob for responding to my thread. Cmon boatnerds darn it let's not let this post die too young. Let's keep this thing going while we're all still pumped up and excited for the Opening of the new 2019 shipping season. Don't be shy and bashful about it just think about it! Just thought of this one "Genesis and In the Air Tonight!" Go with it.
Ohio Bob

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

Turn it on Again - Genesis
Welcome to the Show - Savatage
Denny

Boatwatching Songs for 2019 Openers

Unread post by Denny »

Okay boatnerds let’s have some fun for a change here as I’ve come up with a neat idea which I hope we can all agree on have have fun and enjoy this. I’m sure we all like different types of music and we have our favorite artists, groups and songs right? Well for me anyway two songs come to mind that are only fitting for the start up of the 2019 season and the openers. How about these two, The Boys Are Back in Town and instead of Who Let the Dogs Out I say Who Let the Boats and the Ships Out instead. Right now I’m drawing a blank on anymore meaningful songs and hits to go with but, here’s another Start Me Up a famous hit by The Rolling Stones. So think about it, play with it some and send in here some ideas and suggestions for some sings and hits to describe the start up of the 2019 shipping season opener. Have fun with my idea!