CTC No 1 being moved...

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Pete in Holland MI

Re: CTC No 1 being moved..

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

I agree that much of the machinery would not be of value....commercially. There are steam engine clubs who would be interested in some of the machinery, if they were reciprocating steam engines. Turbines? Not much to look at. The problem I have encountered is that few clubs have deep financial resources to move big machinery, let alone pay for removal from a ship. Several years ago, I had secured a club interested in the engine from the EM Ford as it was being broken up in the Soo, but at the last minute, backed away from the deal. Shortly afterwards, the engine was broken up.

Any of the brass oilers & greasers do have value to folks restoring steam engines.

Me? The Tyfon steam horn up in the stack would be of interest.

Although it'd be fun to wander the engine room with a few wrenches, we all know that won't happen due to liability concerns from the ships owner.

Pete
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Charlie wrote:Question on the boat, Is she basically stripped on the in side?

I would think that the Eng room machinery is still there but in ruff shape?

do we know where she is being scraped at yet?

thanks
charlie
Still retaining her triple expansion steam engine, any engine room machinery that would still be in the engine room would be useless for any modern laker sailing today. Also, any electronic navigation equipment that still might remain in the pilothouse dates back from the 1970's and would likewise be useless. The only thing even remotely useful there is the hull.
tarcticus

Unread post by tarcticus »

BTW "Guest"...thanks for your earlier reply. Very helpful to me

I'd been away for awhile, so most of the big picture I had right. But I'd forgotten exactly what Lower Lakes hauls.
tarcticus

Charlie

I'm not sure, but I suspect yes she's probably stripped of engines and whatever was at the bridge for the pilot, etc.

But that isn't a bad thing if she were to eventually be refitted and repowered. As stated the hull is understood to be in solid shape.
Charlie

Unread post by Charlie »

Question on the boat, Is she basically stripped on the in side?

I would think that the Eng room machinery is still there but in ruff shape?

do we know where she is being scraped at yet?

thanks
charlie

Unread post by Guest »

Lower Lakes, despite the gray color being a major part of their color scheme, don't carry powdered cement. Their other Maritimers and smaller ships are predominantly aggregate haulers and road salt, although they do carry other stuff at times including grain (I believe their Cuyahoga, another Maritimer class freighter, hauled the first load of grain delivered to General Mills in Buffalo by a self-unloader for an example).

She was bought since the Jones Act legislation requires a US flagged ship carrying cargo between two US ports to be constructed in the US. With the high shipbuilding cost in this country, starting from scratch is very expensive. So taking advantage of a hull in solid condition that has lived in fresh water and been largely idle for decades would've been a money saver, with repowering and a conversion to self unloading capabilities being the major expenditures needed to bring her into service.

Lower Lakes though has fallen on hard times and also has just bought another ship that already is a self-unloader and just requires repowering, so speculation is that they've decided to remove her from reserve and sell her for scrap and save on future storage fees.

Not a great outlook for them long-term, but perhaps she's not heading off to the scrapyard like is believed. I don't think we've yet seen confirmation.
tarcticus

I posted this on this board way back...

Dec 20, 2010

Since I often see this boat I spent a little time sorting out it's history a few months back. Here is a synopsis:

She was commissioned by the U.S. Maritime Commission during the depths of WWII. One of 16 Maritimers ordered and produced.

Built by the Great Lakes Engineering Works, and launched in 1943 as the McINTYRE at River Rouge, Detriot, Michigan.

Acquired by Interlake Steamship Company before entering service. Renamed FRANK PURNELL (1) prior to any service. Hence never sailed as McINTYRE. Sailed for Interlake as the PURNELL from 1943 until 1966 when she was acquired by Bethlehem Steel.

Acquired by Bethlehem as a trade with Interlake in 1966. The two companies traded boats and traded names. Hence the FRANK PURNELL (1) became the STEELTON (3), and the STEELTON (2) became the FRANK PURNELL (2).

This causes confusion during internet searches. The boat that took the FRANK PURNELL (2) name in 1966 was renamed ROBERT C. NORTON in 1974, and scrapped as the NORTON in 1994.

The STEELTON (3) sailed for Bethlehem until 1978 when she was acquired by the Cement Transport Company, a division of Medusa Cement.

She was renamed "Hull No. 3" briefly in 1978 in order to free up the STEELTON name for another ship.

She was renamed PIONEER (3) in 1979, and chartered to Cleveland Cliffs for the 1979 season. She only sailed one season for Cliffs.

She lay idle for a couple of years (1980-1981) as the PIONEER (3) until being towed to Bay ship for conversion to a cement transport vessel 1n 1982. She was then renamed C.T.C. No. 1 and berthed in Lake Calumet, Chicago, IL at the Medusa/Southdown/St. Marys Cement terminal from 1982 until March of 2009.

Early in 2009 she was towed away from the St. Marys berth in Lake Calumet. She spent the summer of 2009 tied up along the river and has been tied up next to an elevator (not sure of the name) since the autumn of 2009. This is where the John Sherwin sat from Sept 2006 until June 2008.

If anybody has any corrections to this account feel free...

DJV
Dec 20, 2010
tarcticus

CTC No 1 being moved...

Good afternoon all boatnerds

I've been away from this forum for maybe 5 years, following a period of intense interest in the Great Lakes shipping history, etc. Now I've been engergized by the fate of the CTC No 1

If this is all repetitive please disregard

The CTC No 1 is scheduled to be towed away from her berth on Lake Calumet in the very near future. I have no information as to exactly when or exactly where she will be going.

I remember well when she was moved, in the early Summer 2009, from her long time berth at the cement terminal (Medusa/St Mary's/etc). She spend the summer tied up just outside of Lake Calumet waiting for the Sherwin to be moved. When the Sherwin was gone, she was towed in between the two grain elevators, and has been there since.

At the time my understanding was that Grand River Nav bought her just in case they needed a "fresh" hull to replace one of their aging cement boats.

Around Chicago folks call her the "Ghost Ship", even though her history and purpose are well known, or are at least to me.

What has changed about the situation? Has she been sold? Has the company changed their plans for her? Where is she going? To the breakers?

It's painful to me. The ONLY place in Chicago most folks can see a classic laker (even if in outside appearance only) is in the place.

I've got some pics from my phone I took yesterday. I'll try to post them or forward them or something. Not sure if the daily photos are still being posted here.

Dan V
Chicago