Detroit Lions

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Detroit Lions

Unread post by Denny »

So the Lions finished their poor and pathetic season at 3-12-1 and yet after losing 9 straight games their last win coming against the New York Giants in late October, they decide to keep their coach Matt Patricia or Mr. Pencil Boy and their GM Bob Quinn next year with the ultimatum of making it to the playoffs or else! Get real as I mean cmon anyone can see that this team is no where near close to making it to the playoffs anytime soon. At least this week they fired many of their assistant coaches which is a start. My brother told me today "It's too bad they didn't get rid of their DC Coach as he will end up making or breaking Matt Patricia's season next year with them!" He also said that "The Lions need more help he thinks on the Defensive side of the ball as their defense just looked very bad and terrible this season!" There was once talk during the year of getting rid of their secondary guy Darius Slay I think is his name or something like that at least? So, it will be interesting to see if they try to dump him next year or not? So I expect that by this time next year both Mr. Pencil Boy and Bob Quinn will be shown the exit in Detroit and yet once again we'll be looking to hire yet another new coach to try and turn the Lions mess around. I just don't see how you take a team with a record of 3-12-1 and worse than last year's 6-10 record and also losing 9 straight games yet you decide to keep him? Just doesn't make any sense to me on that regard so go figure! If I was the owner I surely would've had Patricia and GM Bob Quinn fired. Maybe the owners and Patricia should watch this year's NFL Playoff games and take some notes.

Unread post by Guest »

The only thing that will help this pathetic team is a change in ownership. Until that changes, it will continue to be the same old thing year after year.
ed

Unread post by ed »

Well - it's a start !

The Detroit Lions made the decision to keep head coach Matt Patricia and general manager Bob Quinn for another year, but it appears that courtesy won’t be extended to the entire Lions coaching staff.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the Lions are expected to make “significant” changes within the coaching staff, specifically on defense.

“Patricia is expected to make significant changes to his defensive coaching staff after the season,” Birkett wrote.

Much more is needed ! ---- ed
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well in case anyone may have missed the news yesterday it was said and announced by current Lions owner Martha Firestone Ford that both GM Bob Quinn and Pencil Boy Coach if you will, Matt Patricia will both be returning to the Lions in 2020. Seriously I am now in total shock along with disbelief in this decision especially when one considers that they are currently sitting in last place in the NFC North with a current record of 3-10-1 and have just two games left in 2019. Last season the Lions went 6-10 under Matt Patricia who was in his first season. So as you can obviously see, the Lions this year will finish much worse under their coach Mr. Pencil Boy if you will then last year yet the owners say that he and GM Bob Quinn will be retained for 2020. Point is, doesn’t this sound familiar to another Detroit sports team that also finished worse this year than last year? That other team if you will also decided to retain and keep their current GM and Manager for 2020. I guess having the worst record in your respective sport isn’t too bad after all. What is rather stunning is Mrs. Ford of the Lions in her decision to keep their coach and GM also stated “We expect to be playing meaningful games in the month of December!” Yeah right like where is she dreaming and coming up with this? Then she also says sorry to say to Ed and others “We expect to be Playoff Contenders!” Maybe someone needs to remind her that the Lions have only won one playoff game in how many years and they haven’t won the NFL Title since the 1950s. The best part of last week’s loss to Tampa Bay was a fan and sign saying “Just Sell The Team!” Maybe they should consider that as that’s what my Dad would often say about them.
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

There is a gentleman from my dads hometown of St Clair Shores who lives down the street from me here in AZ. He has a Go Lions license frame. I talked to him before the first game. OK, I limped by his house a hundred times until I caught him outside. We mentioned where we were from then talked about our optimism for the Lions. Well, yesterday, after limping by a hundred times I caught him outside again to say the usual "there's always next year" and we both agreed they need to fire Quinn and Patricia.
My patience with this team is growing very thin!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Guest I agree with your comments totally. Also the halftime shows for the Super Bowl are even more sick and disgusting. I haven’t seen any good performers and musicians in years! Usually during the halftime shows I’m busy eating dinner anyway. Maybe the NFL should consider a “Battle of the Bands Halftime Show!” In other words have two bands from College teams compete at halftime or else have them both share the stage and do whatever songs they desire. Now I would definitely watch that one. Also for the National Anthem before the Super Bowl, get some better people and performers please! Some of these performers and musicians anymore have absolutely No respect for our Anthem when they sing and perform it whatsoever. I say try some young talent maybe kids singing and performing it with musical instruments as they would be worth watching. The best performance of a National Anthem if you look at the films was Super Bowl 25. That year we went to War with Iraq and they had Whitney Houston sing it. Point is, every fan had tears in their eyes from that performance. That’s the way it should be done! Just my thoughts and two cents and opinions only on this subject here.

Unread post by Guest »

For me, this kneeling business for the national anthem was the last straw. Won't go to any more games or waste my time watching them on television as I have found better things to do. Sad that almost every form of entertainment has become politicized.

Unread post by Guest »

I lived in the Detroit area for nearly 40 years before moving this summer and I have always said if you want to watch a winning football team then look elsewhere.
ed

Unread post by ed »

Playoffs -- Playoffs -- Playoffs. Did you say playoffs ? Now write on the blackboard 100 times -- I will not mention playoffs in Detroit. Yes, make that 200 times.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well folks as usual the Lions dropped another one on Sunday up in Minnesota to the Vikings 20-7 and so far this season they've won only three games and have now lost six straight games in a row as well. Next Sunday they are home to Tampa Bay who ended up by beating the Indianapolis Colts 38-35. I honestly don't see the Lions winning another game this season however, they should be able to beat the Bucs and then afterward they travel on the road to play at Denver the Sunday before Christmas. Point is, the Bucs along with the Broncos are two winnable games but the Denver game will be brutal out there in that altitude and bitterly cold weather playing outdoors. The Lions last game of the season is at home against the Packers on December 29. My brother does not believe that the Lions will get rid of "Pencil Boy" after this season mainly due to his relationship with current GM Bob Quinn who was brought here from the New England Patriots years ago just like Matt Patricia was just two years ago. My brother thinks that Pencil Boy will have at least one more year after this to try and turn the Lions' mess around. Also as far as Matt Stafford goes and his future, who knows on that as it seems he is beaten up and injured along with the rest of the Lions each every season. Maybe it's time for the Lions to look to the future and possibly either draft a QB or else look to Free Agent for a replacement or backup as Stafford has been around for a while now and he can't keep taking all of the hits, beatings and the punishment that he does week in and week out. It seems that they are always littered with injuries every year more so than any other team. It's just a shame that they have to put them on TV here in the Detroit area for us fans to watch as like I said in an earlier post about them, they're out of the playoff race and have been so why keep showing them on TV here in Detroit? Yesterday on FOX here in Detroit, they had the 49ers at Saints on and we could not watch and get it here in my neighborhood as they had the Lions instead on Fox. Point is, as expected the Saints and 49ers game was one of if not the best games of the year as the Saints lost to the 49ers 48-46 and because of the Lions being on TV I got screwed at least out of a great game with the Saints. Stupid Lions fans for you all folks, Stop buying tickets already and going to see and watch these Pro Pretenders who play like High School and College Kids and then maybe they will black them out from being on TV to see! Just my two cents and opinions only here on this subject is all nothing else.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Ok folks I checked my TV lineup for this weekend’s NFL Games and on the local FOX station here in Detroit of course we are forced to see and watch the Mighty Lions travel up north to Minnesota and lose yet again only this time to the Vikings. However, don’t waste your time watching them as instead here on CBS we are blessed with an alternate choice as we get the Ravens at Bills on CBS which is sure to be a good game and a classic to see and watch. What’s unfortunate though is thanks to the Lions being on TV and on FOX here in Detroit, we will miss out on what is sure to be a great game between the 49ers and the Saints which will air also on FOX. The point is since the Lions have been eliminated from playoff contention, they IMO should not even be putting them on TV the rest of the year here in Michigan unless of course they were still in it for the playoffs which they are not. Just my opinion and two cents on this!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Ok everyone here’s some good and juicy stuff for you and I know that a few of you like Ed, Marc, Garbear and others will love my comments on this one. Next Sunday the sorry Lions as I call them travel to take on the Minnesota Vikings at 1 P.M. on FOX here in Detroit area. The bad news folks is you have the 49ers at the Saints also on FOX here at the same time in Detroit. So folks if you think you’re gonna see the game with the 49ers at Saints then I got news for you all. Think again folks as you won’t see that game on FOX thanks to the stupid NFL rules for TV as we instead here in Detroit are forced to watch the Lions once again get embarrassed up in Minnesota. So the point is we here in Detroit end up by missing out on what could be a good game between the Saints and the 49ers. Shame on the NFL and the folks at FOX and the networks and cable companies for doing that to us! Then another good game we may miss here in Detroit due to the Lions game is the Ravens at Bills. This game is on CBS but, they have a double header next Sunday so it’s possible that CBS may not show a game early on Sunday but then later show us the Chiefs at Patriots. Point is, how many times must we have to watch the Pats and Tom Brady this year? I count nine times they’ve been on TV here in Detroit and six straight times now and seven for sure next week when they play the Chiefs. It’s time to put somebody else on TV for a change. Put the Ravens or the Bills on or even the Texans here. Just my two cents worth. Comments anyone are welcomed here?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well once again the Lions embarrassed themselves on National TV and in front of millions of people watching and another 65,000 or so fans in attendance. At 3-8-1 they are now officially eliminated from the NFL playoffs this year yet again! So where does this team go from here? My oldest brother swears up and down that most of their problems lie and fall on the shoulder of Matthew Stafford and he also says down the road at some point, they need to consider either drafting a QB or else trading or getting one from Free Agent as well. He also says next year's draft they will probably end up by drafting either Offensive or Defensive Lineman first with their first draft choice. I keep saying and thinking that they need help up on the Offensive Side first to protect Stafford as I have been saying that one since last year. My brother also thinks Patricia will stay on as coach for at least one more year. I disagree heartily as I think that "Pencil Boy will be fired after this season as he hasn't done anything with them since he's been here period!" It's a shame that they got rid of Jim Caldwell as at least he had some 9-7 seasons and took them to the playoffs. It will be interesting to see now just who the Lions get to replace Pencil Boy? Do they end up getting rid of their GM Bob Quinn who they brought here from New England? Perhaps maybe a major house cleaning will take place soon but who do they get for a GM and a Coach and who would want to come here and try to fix and turn this mess around? Time will tell.
ed

Unread post by ed »

The Lions only need three draft picks -
1- A new owner who cares about Detroit football.
2- A new G M who knows football
3- A new coach to replace 'Pencil Boy'.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I’ve thought about that as well Ed and it will be interesting to see just what the Ford’s will do after this year? But let’s also look at this as it seems the Lions every year always have tons of injured players and this year it seems is no exception. Then our QB Matt Stafford naturally is out with injuries and he could be out now for the rest of the season! It will be interesting to see now what will they choose and go with in next year’s draft as they will have a high draft choice? I say one they need a running game as they have not had a decent running back since Barry Sanders and YES I do know how the Lions wasted and ruined him in their offense along with Billy Sims as well! Next I said this last year and this year at least, the Lions made very little progress on. They need major help at least on their offensive line trying to protect Matthew Stafford. If they can’t get a running game and back soon, then Stafford is toast the way they keep on throwing the ball as much as they do. Besides a new Head Coach, maybe the Lions should think about the future and Matthew Stafford. Could it be time for Lions to part ways with Stafford? I’d say Yes and maybe they need to draft a QB or else get one in a trade or through Free Agency. One of the worst moves the Lions ever made years ago was when they hired Matt Millen as their GM as he just about ruined the Lions and made them a laughing stock. Just my two cents only on this!
ed

Unread post by ed »

The last Lions coach was fired for only wining 9 games in his last season as coach. The current coach ( pencil boy ) has won only 3 game this year. Now can we expect a coaching change at the end of this year ?
ed

Unread post by ed »

Almost too much to watch as coach 'pencil boy' takes three of his best players out of the game for the last play ! Are you folks tired of 'pencil boy's' lame excesses for the loss ? The beard moves but the message is the same - week after week - we are trying to improve.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Marc as I too watched the Lions and also had the Saints game on as well. I think at least out of the NFC unless of course the NFL and the refs screw them like they did last year and shame on them for doing that, I think the Saints are the team to beat yet again in the NFC this year. Granted there is Minnesota that seems to be doing well along with San Francisco who's still undefeated and also Seattle that could be tough. Clearly I think the NFC has the better and stronger teams than the AFC does. Speaking of the AFC, I don't see anyone much as I hate to say that other than the Patriots and Brady of course. Can't stand the Patriots and hate them and Brady with a passion and trust me folks just ask anyone as I'm not alone on that one! My poor Buffalo Bills got crushed by the Eagles today at home in Buffalo and are now 5-2 and I just did not have a good feeling on them and this game. Hope that next week will be better as they play the Redskins at home and I hope to see better news, results and a win from the Bills at home then.
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

I watched the game with my Lions shirt on, after digging it out of the corner of my closet. Im happy. They really seem to have quit their early blitzing in the 2nd quarter. I think they need to trade for Chandler Jones and turn him loose for sacks!
They will probably disappoint, but Im always hopeful.
I hope everybody is having a great Sunday.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Stick a fork in the Lions as they’re done now for the season after they have dropped three straight with two of the losses now coming in their own division to Green Bay and Minnesota. They should’ve beaten Green Bay and their Defense last Sunday sucked and stunk it up in spite the fact that Stafford and the Offense looked okay. They also should have beaten Kansas City and Patrick Mahomes earlier in the year and they should’ve beaten Arizona and not tied them! Their schedule don’t get any easier either with road games at Oakland and Chicago then back home versus Dallas and the Bears at home on Thanksgiving. Then in December they go to Denver before Christmas which will be brutally cold in that altitude and environment and then they wrap up their year at home to Green Bay. I guess you could say the Lions can start to plan for next season now and what could have and should have been as far as for this season goes. There once was a saying “You are what your record says you are and tells you from Bill Parcells!” The Lions record right now tells all. They’re in a must win vs the Giants on Sunday now.