Edmund Fitzgerald Art Print

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)

Re: Edmund Fitzgerald Art Print

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:This topic prompted me to search for other prints of the Fitz. There's one that depicts the Fitz "departing on her final voyage" where she's sailing under the Duluth Lift Bridge. I know she loaded in Superior - and many Superior docks are closer to the Duluth Entry, but did she depart through Duluth Canal or the Superior Canal - I always assumed it was Superior.

https://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gal ... /75429324/

In reference the art print "Where are they" shown on this link of the Anderson and William Clay Ford searching Lake Superior, how accurate is this portrayal? How close were these two ships while searching?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Even though the Canal Park area wasn't as "touristy" back then as it is today - and it was November, I would've thought there would've been a photograph of departing Fitz if she did indeed exit via Duluth. The Superior canal makes more sense for no photo as it was, and still is a very isolated place. Plus, the BN docks are right there and nearly every boat that loads there enters/departs there unless they need to fuel, or pull into the terminal dock or Fraser for service first.
Back then there would have been a fueling tanker in the Twin Ports.

Unread post by Guest »

Even though the Canal Park area wasn't as "touristy" back then as it is today - and it was November, I would've thought there would've been a photograph of departing Fitz if she did indeed exit via Duluth. The Superior canal makes more sense for no photo as it was, and still is a very isolated place. Plus, the BN docks are right there and nearly every boat that loads there enters/departs there unless they need to fuel, or pull into the terminal dock or Fraser for service first.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

She would have departed through the superior entry

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:This topic prompted me to search for other prints of the Fitz. There's one that depicts the Fitz "departing on her final voyage" where she's sailing under the Duluth Lift Bridge. I know she loaded in Superior - and many Superior docks are closer to the Duluth Entry, but did she depart through Duluth Canal or the Superior Canal - I always assumed it was Superior.

I believe that it departed through the Superior Entry. My favorite of the Fitzgerald in a storm art work is the one by Clary although it can be argued that it does not depict its final voyage as it has the older radar antenna that was replaced a year or so before its loss. This mistake commonly happens when artists work off photographs. The Clary Fitzgerald print was quite pricey even back in the mid-1980s when I started collecting art prints while a senior in high school. I purchased a Cliffs Victory print and had it framed at a local shop in Marine City. Later, I found out that the framer had used a cheap brand of regular scotch tape to mount the print to the mat board but was able to have it cleaned and remounted with proper matting. The thing that always stuck with me is that when I had my print originally framed there was a Clary Fitzgerald remarqued print being framed by the same shop for another customer. I'm assuming that print was also taped to the mat with non-archival tape, so hopefully the owner was also able to discover this and take the appropriate measures to retain the value of their print.

Unread post by Guest »

This topic prompted me to search for other prints of the Fitz. There's one that depicts the Fitz "departing on her final voyage" where she's sailing under the Duluth Lift Bridge. I know she loaded in Superior - and many Superior docks are closer to the Duluth Entry, but did she depart through Duluth Canal or the Superior Canal - I always assumed it was Superior.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks! I have never seen it for resale over the years I was building up my art print collection and wondered if it had a very limited run. It has always been one of my favorite depiction of the Edmund Fitzgerald, the other being the one done by Tisdale of the ship passing Detroit. I always preferred depictions of this ship in operation and not in storms.
MarcD

Unread post by MarcD »

yes it was.
Attachments
2018-11-10-fitz.JPG

Edmund Fitzgerald Art Print

Unread post by Guest »

During the late 1970s the Dossin Museum put out a book on the Edmund Fitzgerald which had a art print as its center spread that I believe was by Paul Lammarre. Was this print ever made available to the public? I have never seen it for sale over the years.