Iron ore explosive?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
DCN

Re: Iron ore explosive?

Unread post by DCN »

The iron content of taconite pellets is an iron oxide, usually in the form of the mineral Hematite (Fe2O3). This is a stable condition for iron, most hematite that is mined is literally billions of years old and the hematite in a taconite pellet will still be hematite a billion years from now if left alone. So there is no real danger from taconite pellets, other than slipping on them.

Direct reduced iron is different as the iron is in nearly pure metallic form and any exposed surface will oxidize (rust) very rapidly. When lumps of DRI are stored in a pile, like in a ships hold, the oxidation reaction can generate a lot of heat in that pile and if water is added to cool the pile the extreme heat can liberate some of the hydrogen from H2O and, in an enclosed space like a ship hold, lead to an explosion.

At least that's the way I was taught about it many years ago.

- DCN
Brian Ferguson

Unread post by Brian Ferguson »

I've seen plenty of smoking cigarette butts get flicked into holds, and on unloading belts so at least in the state taconite is on the ship I'd say it's not combustible. Coal, Petroleum, or Agricultural products are a different story.
GuestfromEU

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

Direct Reduced Iron and Silicomanganese are hydrogen-emitting cargoes. Those two cargoes require testing for hydrogen in the atmosphere, no other cargo does as per ISMBC Code. The media will likely simply put "iron ore" for any range of cargoes, as it's more clear to the reader.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

Guest wrote:I did a search and found a link to potential explosions - but that's for iron ore concentrates. Scroll down to Precautions of the webpage.

http://www.bulkcarrierguide.com/iron-ore.html

And I have never, ever heard of an explosion onboard a ship carrying iron ore on the Great Lakes. And I've been studying Great Lakes marine history since 1975.
Well, I think you just found the one theory that's never been put forward for the sinking of the Fitzgerald. :)

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:There's an article at http://www.bulkcarrierguide.com/iron-ore.html and scroll down to the section "Precautions for Iron Ore Handling". It has a paragraph on the possibility of explosion with iron ore concentrates due to the moisture (hydrogen) and the sulphur in the concentrate.

Off topic, When ships carry scrap metal and it's oily, it can reduce the oxygen level in the cargohold. So proper ventilation is required.
In relation to your comment on scrap metal cargoes, the book Great Lakes Shipping Log 1980-1989 tells of two crewmen dying aboard the saltie Pola Dyo on September 24, 1982 in Lake Erie while carrying a load of scrap metal from Detroit. Six other crewmembers and ten Port Colborne firefighters also required medical treatment in this incident.

Unread post by Guest »

Back in the 1970s there were explosion aboard ocean bulkers that were in the iron ore and crude oil trade, called OBO carriers Oil-Bulk-Ore. But the explosions happened when the oil tanks were being cleaned or hot work was being performed.

Unread post by Guest »

The only explosions I have heard involving lake carriers involved methane gas buildups from coal. There have been some explosions at grain elevators also but I have never heard of any aboard vessels. It seems that raw iron ore and taconite would not be an explosion hazard but I may be wrong. Is it possible that the ship in question is carrying an ore produced to contain a certain balance of minerals/chemicals for a certain type of steel or production process?

Unread post by Guest »

There's an article at www.bulkcarrierguide.com/iron-ore.html and scroll down to the section "Precautions for Iron Ore Handling". It has a paragraph on the possibility of explosion with iron ore concentrates due to the moisture (hydrogen) and the sulphur in the concentrate.

Off topic, When ships carry scrap metal and it's oily, it can reduce the oxygen level in the cargohold. So proper ventilation is required.

Unread post by Guest »

I did a search and found a link to potential explosions - but that's for iron ore concentrates. Scroll down to Precautions of the webpage.

www.bulkcarrierguide.com/iron-ore.html

And I have never, ever heard of an explosion onboard a ship carrying iron ore on the Great Lakes. And I've been studying Great Lakes marine history since 1975.

Iron ore explosive?

Unread post by Guest »

From maritimebulletin.net:
Bulk carrier LIFE PASSION is kept at anchorage off Oostende, Belgium, North sea, since her arrival from Novorossiysk Russia, on Jan 20. The ship is loaded with iron ore, and there’s a risk of mass explosion due to ore self-heating and hydrogen emission. There already was an explosion while the ship was under way in French waters, though reportedly, comparatively minor, one crew was injured and medevaced by helicopter. Emergency team is already on board, evaluating situation. Understood situation is to be taken under control, eliminating explosion threat, by filling holds with inert gas. The ship is bound for Ghent.
Bulk carrier LIFE PASSION, IMO 9737888, dwt 37332, built 2018, flag Marshall Islands, manager OLIVE SHIPMANAGEMENT INC, Greece.
I've never heard of such a thing on the Great Lakes. Is this because the processing of ore into taconite eliminates the danger? What about the days before taconite processing? Any reports of ore boats spontaneously combusting?