Record Long Term Lay Up

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Record Long Term Lay Up

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote:In keeping with the original poster's interest in ships that had been in long term layup and returned to service the book "The Inland Steel Fleet" has an appendix entry in which it shows the Edward L. Ryerson being placed into 3 long term layup periods between 1985 and 2006 during which time it spent nearly 14 years laid up. That would have represented approximately 1/3 of the vessel's 46-year career by 2006. Although not one long extended layup, this truly represents a considerable about of time over that 21 year period.

Of course, this does not take into account its current long-term layup period that began in May of 2009. This ship has proven to be a curious survivor over the years with many observers confident in the belief that it had sailed its last at many points in the past. I recall there even being reports in some of the marine journals of the Ryerson being sold for scrap during the late 1980s or early 1990s. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this ship in relation to the Cleveland Cliffs purchase of ArcelorMittal last year. If the Ryerson does ever see service again about the only other ship that I know of that could possbily surpass it in terms of idleness is if Interlake Steamship ever proceeds with the reconstruction of the John Sherwin.
That would be truly remarkable if Interlake ever did go ahead with those plans, however, as time goes on that seems increasingly remote. The Ryerson however, could still have a shot as her owners have stated as recently as last year that all it would take is a sustained rebound in ore cargoes and she would be back out.

Unread post by Guest »

In keeping with the original poster's interest in ships that had been in long term layup and returned to service the book "The Inland Steel Fleet" has an appendix entry in which it shows the Edward L. Ryerson being placed into 3 long term layup periods between 1985 and 2006 during which time it spent nearly 14 years laid up. That would have represented approximately 1/3 of the vessel's 46-year career by 2006. Although not one long extended layup, this truly represents a considerable about of time over that 21 year period.

Of course, this does not take into account its current long-term layup period that began in May of 2009. This ship has proven to be a curious survivor over the years with many observers confident in the belief that it had sailed its last at many points in the past. I recall there even being reports in some of the marine journals of the Ryerson being sold for scrap during the late 1980s or early 1990s. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for this ship in relation to the Cleveland Cliffs purchase of ArcelorMittal last year. If the Ryerson does ever see service again about the only other ship that I know of that could possbily surpass it in terms of idleness is if Interlake Steamship ever proceeds with the reconstruction of the John Sherwin.

Unread post by Guest »

Ryerson actually going on 12 years now laid up spring 2009 not long after she came out of layup and lost out on a contract to take ore out the seaway to ASC
Shipwatcher1

So not talking barge conversions, it seems we have the J. J. Boland at 8 years and the Leon Fraser/Alpena at 9 years. Also of note, we had the Ryerson come back at 8 years as well (1998-2006).
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

The Leon Fraser laid up in Lorain at Amship in 1982. She was later sold & towed to Superior to be shortened and refurbished as a cement carrier. She returned to service in 1991 for Inland Lakes Management.
Just about the same time frame was the Joe Thompson.

Unread post by Guest »

pcolachap wrote:The Joe Thompson laid up for the last time as a steamer in the late summer of 1982. Dad was the last captain. The article on the fleet page gives 1991 as the completion date for conversion to a self unloader. So, that looks like eight or nine years of inactivity before return to service.

That conversion of the Joseph H. Thompson proved to be a prolonged affair! I remember seeing this ship under its own power only one time in the early 1980s and even then I just caught a glimpse of it. I was around 12 or 13 and riding in a car on Bridge Street in Marine City, Michigan, when just as we stopped to turn on to Water Street downtown the Thompson sped by going upbound past the Holy Cross Church. I looked pretty impressive with its bow high out of the water in the early morning sun. I know it was moving at river speed but for some reason, it just seemed to be going faster that morning than other lake freighters I have seen in the St. Clair River in the decades since. The Joseph H. Thompson was pretty impressive in its original lake carrier configuration that, in my opinion at least, pictures cannot fully convey.

Unread post by Guest »

Ray wrote:John Sherwin - 40 years in lay up this year.

Not necessarily in the same category, but the carferry Spartan has been in layup for 42 years this year.

Not sure if it counts as 'layup", but I think the CTC 1 would probably be the record holder if that does count.
The question is about vessels returning to service.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

As far as powered vessels that returned to service after long layups go (i.e. no barge conversion in play), it should be noted that John J. Boland (3), now Saginaw (3) laid up at the end of the season in December 1984 and ended up going into long-term layup from there. Most observers in the mid-to-late 1980s thought she was finished. The Boland (3) ended up being reactivated in April 1992.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

John Sherwin - 40 years in lay up this year.

Not necessarily in the same category, but the carferry Spartan has been in layup for 42 years this year.

Not sure if it counts as 'layup", but I think the CTC 1 would probably be the record holder if that does count.
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

The Joe Thompson laid up for the last time as a steamer in the late summer of 1982. Dad was the last captain. The article on the fleet page gives 1991 as the completion date for conversion to a self unloader. So, that looks like eight or nine years of inactivity before return to service.
DJB

Unread post by DJB »

Not the longest stay at 4 years , but one of the most unlikely returns was the J. W. Shelly (Phoenix Star) who was sold off shore (2004) to NY City as a Spoils Barge Derelict and returned to service 4 Years later (2008)

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/phoenixstar.htm
Shipwatcher1

Record Long Term Lay Up

Does anyone here know the record time in long term lay up of any lakers that eventually returned to service? I'm thinking possibly McKee Sons. Last operated in 1980, then returned as a barge in 1992, next up being the Joe Thompson at 11 years.

If the plans for the Valor ever do come to be, I believe she would be the new record holder as she is now entering year 13 since last operating.