Ashtabula Harbor 1959

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
FWE

Re: Ashtabula Harbor 1959

Unread post by FWE »

Ahh the Iroquois Club downtown Ashtabula. Great place to have a beer off watch for a few hours, admire the Interlake vessel models that lined the celing roofline, and did not disturb that ol hound that laid smack in the middle of the bar's floor.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Lake Carriers also had a hiring hall in Ashtabula right down the street from the Iroquois Club.
jim1

Unread post by jim1 »

in 1972 i was on the manitoulin ans went there always for a sailors bar it was #1
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Hopefully, if you were a sailor going into Ashtabula back in the day, You had a chance to go to the Iroquois Club. For a waterfront bar, it had the classy distinction of needing to be "buzzed in" at the front door. Even in his book, Dennis Hale mentioned an interesting bar there.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Here are a few more photo's of Ashtabula harbor I took.
We went there occassionaly and unloaded at both the Union Dock and A&B. We generally took red ore to A&B that was loaded in Superior and pellets to Union from Duluth.
My first trip there in '76 I went uptown with some of my shipmates and of course hit the bars. The first one we went into had mine and my dad's photos of lakers all over the walls that the owner had bought over the years from him.
Attachments
20210227_115509_resized.jpg
20210227_115658_resized.jpg
20210227_115840_resized_2(1).jpg

Unread post by Guest »

How much traffic currently goes into and out of Ashtabula? Are there any places to get photographs of the boats?
Jon Paul

Guest wrote:I thought that photo looked familiar, Jon Paul.

- Brian
I have a few more I will post tomorrow

Unread post by Guest »

I thought that photo looked familiar, Jon Paul.

- Brian
Jon Paul

Guest wrote:There's a page on Flickr that has photos of Ashtabula harbor. It's called The Docks & The Harbor. https://www.flickr.com/photos/115892967 ... 368256554/

- Brian
That's my photo of the Charles M White unloading in Ashtabula
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

Guest wrote:There's a page on Flickr that has photos of Ashtabula harbor. It's called The Docks & The Harbor. https://www.flickr.com/photos/115892967 ... 368256554/

- Brian
Awesome Pictures!
It would be interesting to know the dates on each.

Second. I was struck by the amount of smoke in most pictures. And it was coming from everywhere, ships, buildings, equipment...
The air quality must have been terrible.

Unread post by Guest »

There's a page on Flickr that has photos of Ashtabula harbor. It's called The Docks & The Harbor. https://www.flickr.com/photos/115892967 ... 368256554/

- Brian

Unread post by Guest »

pcolachap wrote:I have a picture which I will forward as soon as I can get my scanner to work properly of Ashtabula harbor, main river, in mid July of 1959. The news article on the demolition of the coal dock prompted my memory. The picture shows on the east side of the Ashtabula river, Pennsylvania RR side, the Hover & Mason unloaders ~ PY&A dock where the Humphrey unloaded & the Lower Lake coal dock. On the west side, New York Central coal loading machine. These were the predecessors of the dock that is being torn down now. The George M. Humphrey was completing its first Seaway trip from Seven Island PQ. It was also in the early days of the 116 steel strike that year that had most US vessels tied up. Hanna was a non union operation and so, with no connections to MEBA or Steel Workers 5000, were able to carry ore to Ashtabula, which was stockpiled at the PY&A. A trip down memory lane. I will get the picture up soonest.

Look forward to it! The Humphrey and the Hanna boats were favorites of mine growing up. Only managed to see a few of them in operation (Humprhey, Carnahan, Thompson, and Stinson) before the 1980s downturn put all of them at the wall but the Stinson. Their stack logo was, and remains, a favorite of mine.
pcolachap

Ashtabula Harbor 1959

Unread post by pcolachap »

I have a picture which I will forward as soon as I can get my scanner to work properly of Ashtabula harbor, main river, in mid July of 1959. The news article on the demolition of the coal dock prompted my memory. The picture shows on the east side of the Ashtabula river, Pennsylvania RR side, the Hover & Mason unloaders ~ PY&A dock where the Humphrey unloaded & the Lower Lake coal dock. On the west side, New York Central coal loading machine. These were the predecessors of the dock that is being torn down now. The George M. Humphrey was completing its first Seaway trip from Seven Island PQ. It was also in the early days of the 116 steel strike that year that had most US vessels tied up. Hanna was a non union operation and so, with no connections to MEBA or Steel Workers 5000, were able to carry ore to Ashtabula, which was stockpiled at the PY&A. A trip down memory lane. I will get the picture up soonest.