Fairbanks Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
cabinboy1a

Re: Fairbanks Question

Post by cabinboy1a »

I do believe that a near and dear laker support vessel, the original MACKINAW, was FM powered.

Post by Guest »

Apparently the Marine Engineer with Canadian shipbuilding and engineering was a huge backer of the F&M engines and wasn't that happy when CSL decided to get away from them beginning with the Rimouski>
Lakercapt

Post by Lakercapt »

Guest wrote:This is a question for Laker Capt but anyone can chime in, if I got this rite the original theory with the FMs was you start out using 2 engines then if more power was needed you brought the other 2 online in theory, now did they stay that way or did they eventually just put them all on line and use the conventional throttle controller witch I have seen on some Canadian Miner had that set up? Another question did the ships with FMs make good speed?
The bridge control of the engines was a fairly complicated thing with gates or slots on it. When maneuvering the four engines would be running but at a slow speed, only two would be clutched in. More speed then go up a notch, three would be clutched in. The last gate at the bottom would clutch in the last engine. You should not go through the gates too quickly giving the engines time to come up to speed and clutch in. When going down the Detroit and St. Clair rivers we would shut down one engine completely to ensure you did not exceed the speed limits and the wash would be small.
It's a long time now since I sailed on a FM engined boat be this is my recollections.
guest TB

Post by guest TB »

The Canadian side of the lakes had a large number of Fairbanks Opposed Piston propelled ships. Here is a partial listing with the number of engines in (). These engines were installed in Lake Ships, Passenger ships Government Vessels. Iroquois(2), Sarniadoc(2), Calgadoc(2),Imperial Quebec(2),Hopedale(2),Fort Chambly(4),Mondoc(2),Lawrendoc(2)Taverner(2), W.Harold Rea(2)Sir Denys Lowson(4),Simcoe(4)Roy A. Jodrey(4),Mantadoc(4),Algorail(4),Algocen(4),Texaco Chief(2),Agawa Canyon(4),Algoway(4),Metis(2),Coniscliffe Hall(2),Rockcliffe Hall(2),Eskimo(2),Canadoc(4), Hudson Transport(2),Fort St. Louis(4),Hamildoc(2),Kingdoc(2),Saguenay(4),Manitoulin(4),Lawrencecliffe Hall(4),Fort William(4),Labradoc(2), Prindoc(2) and so on, You can see this engine type was widely used .Quite a number of Coast Guard vessels also had FM engines.

Post by Guest »

Remember being able to hear the Simcoe for sometimes about an hour before it would even come into view on the St Lawrence. The Algocen sounded amazing too

Post by Guest »

The CG 140-foot icebreaking tugs have two, 1,250-hp FMs in a single-screw diesel-electric setup.
Lonestar 171

Post by Lonestar 171 »

The Fort William had Fairbanks that ship could fly
old sailer

Post by old sailer »

The vessel is powered by 4 Fairbanks Morse 12-38D8-1/8 opposed piston, single acting, 2-stroke cycle 12-cylinder 2,000 b.h.p. (1,494 kW) diesel engines built by Canadian Locomotive Co. Ltd., Kingston, ON. These engines burn marine diesel oil. The power is geared through a single screw output gearbox to a single KaMeWa 18.7' (5.70m) diameter controllable pitch propeller giving her a speed of 16.1 m.p.h.. The Algocen was originally built with the "side drive" option with 2 additional 12 cylinder Caterpillar D398 700 b.h.p. (523 kW) auxiliary diesel engines built by Caterpillar Tractor Co., Peoria, IL; that, when not being used as electricity generators, could be clutched into the central gearbox to provide additional power. This capability was later disconnected but the engines were not removed. She is equipped with an 800 h.p. (598 kW) bow thruster, My father was Captain of the Simcoe from 1970-77 and was so proud of his ship and last command before retirement. Above is the Fairbanks Morse setup onboard same as the Algocen.

Post by guest »

i believe the fairbank morse engines in canada were built under licence bt the canadian locomotives works in kingston ontario and yes the csl simcoe had 4 fairbank morse engines some marine engineers called them fairbanks remorse

Post by Guest »

Not sure if CSL's Simcoe had FM but it had a great sound

Post by Guest »

This is a question for Laker Capt but anyone can chime in, if I got this rite the original theory with the FMs was you start out using 2 engines then if more power was needed you brought the other 2 online in theory, now did they stay that way or did they eventually just put them all on line and use the conventional throttle controller witch I have seen on some Canadian Miner had that set up? Another question did the ships with FMs make good speed?

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:The Colt-Pielstick engines are also manufactured by FM. The Blough, Speer, American Spirit, James R. Barker and Mesabi Miner all have these. I believe there are some Canadian boats that also do.
The Pielsticks are a french design and are a standard V block where the FM's are opposed. Crosley had the license in Canada so they built the Canadian Pielsticks.
Lakercapt

Post by Lakercapt »

They certainly had a very distinctive sound and when all four were online and at full speed, the noise in the engine room was something to behold. The bridge control was a series of slots to control the engines and it took a good deal of practice to get the proper speed clutching and out the engines as needed.
custom500

Post by custom500 »

Yeah! Great video! Gotta go now but I'll be watching the whole thing tonight. Thanks for that.
FWE

Post by FWE »

There was no mistake in who went by you in the fog, they were a great sound to hear. The only other one i could tell w/o seeing were the SunDoxford diesel on the “Henry” and the “Benson” ( Ford fleet ) they drummed out the beat that sounded like Makin-Money / Makin Money .

Post by Guest »

A great video. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Post by guest »

The Colt-Pielstick engines are also manufactured by FM. The Blough, Speer, American Spirit, James R. Barker and Mesabi Miner all have these. I believe there are some Canadian boats that also do.

Post by Guest »

Whole video of FM powered Lakers.
https://youtu.be/lh5H1mbi1Wo
custom500

Fairbanks Question

Post by custom500 »

1. I always thought that Fairbanks-Morse was big into marine engines, yet I've never heard of a laker that had one. Weren't they very good?