SS Algoma wreck crew list

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Sarah

Re: SS Algoma wreck crew list

Unread post by Sarah »

Jared wrote: April 7, 2021, 8:35 pm I don't think that W. Gibson was married. Most fireman were young and single (it was a terrible job). I've scrolled through some personnel records on the BGSU website and the Toronto Scanner. Gibson is only mentioned in the newspaper article following the wreck, and again in 1918 when Calgary Tribune did an article with survivors 40 years later.

I will ask Ken Merriman if he has access to some stuff that isn't published online. He is the authority on all Isle Royale wrecks.
Hi, it's been a while!
I recently found confirmation that W Gibson was indeed my ggg-grandfather through his son's obituary, relevant text copied below. I still don't know much besides this - no death certificate or anything! (Would anyone happen to know where I would even look for that? He was Canadian and died in American waters) Thank you for all of the information and context you've given, it's been neat diving into the history of all this! My dad's been fascinated by it.

LION'S HEAD. April 28 1939 - A former Bruce Peninsula resident died at Thessalon recently when Robert Gibson succumbed to a stroke. He was born nearly 73 years ago in Southampton and for 35 years sailed on the lakes. His father before him was a sailor and one of the members of the crew who went down with the steamer 'Algoma.'

[...] During his residence at Lion's Head, the deceased weathered the storm on November 9th, 1913. He was sailing on the Isabella Sands and after 52 hours of drifting he and some others were rescued by Indians near Cape Smith. The 'Isabella Sands' was rebuilt and Mr. Gibson sailed on her again for a season.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I don't think that W. Gibson was married. Most fireman were young and single (it was a terrible job). I've scrolled through some personnel records on the BGSU website and the Toronto Scanner. Gibson is only mentioned in the newspaper article following the wreck, and again in 1918 when Calgary Tribune did an article with survivors 40 years later.

I will ask Ken Merriman if he has access to some stuff that isn't published online. He is the authority on all Isle Royale wrecks.

Unread post by Guest »

Thank you Jared! I've been helping to help out researching my genealogy for my grandparents and my ggg-grandfather may or may not have been "W. Gibson, Fireman", but since we have no death or other records we have no proof.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

From what research and materials I have, I only got 33 names and most are partial. The children are not recorded except last names. Unfortunately that time period makes researching for passengers and crew quite difficult as people hopped on and off all the time. Especially employees.
Sarah

SS Algoma wreck crew list

Unread post by Sarah »

Hi!
I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I've been searching high and low for a crew list with full first names from the SS Algoma shipwreck on Isle Royale in 1885. All of the sources I've found so far only list last names and first initials. Would anyone have any ideas where I could look or who to ask about that? Thanks!