little current ontario

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Lakercapt

Re: little current ontario

Unread post by Lakercapt »

As a rider to my previous post.
We were in the Nederlands when they celebrated "Liberation Day", the day the Canadian forces freed the country from their German occupation.
When the locals found out there was a Canadian ship in this small port the invitations to the crew to join them in their homes to celebrate was overwhelming. A great time was had by all and I was delighted they remembered the sacrifice the Canadian troops made to achieve this special time.
Syd BC

Unread post by Syd BC »

On the Algoway we took a few loads out of there They all went to Detroit Zug island The nice thing about that run was if we got in after 1600 they wouldn’t start loading until the morning Rare to get a night off on those ship
Lakercapt

guest wrote:lakercapt were you ever employed by crosbie & co chimo shipping limited? a few captains for them were wilfred lush, clarence dyke. jobby white in the 70s and early 80s before the demise of the line

Yes, I was this company for a un unforgettable experience.
The ships I sailed were first the ill-fated "Bill Crosbie" which was a disaster waiting to happen.
The Lady M.A. Crosbie was on a regular run from Montreal to St.Johns with containers. Winter on this run gave me lots of ice experience in the"Gulf".
I also sailed the A.C. Crosbie when we did a few cross-Atlantic trips and when I found out they were sailing on an exemption using my qualifications as they did not have anyone with deep-sea certificates. If anything had happened to me they would have been lost as I was the only one who could navigate with using a sextant. Interesting times for sure.
When they started to convert the A.C for containers it was time to Bye Bye and I am certain the costs involves were the cause of their demise.
I knew a few other captains that you mentioned.

Unread post by guest »

lakercapt were you ever employed by crosbie & co chimo shipping limited? a few captains for them were wilfred lush, clarence dyke. jobby white in the 70s and early 80s before the demise of the line
Lakercapt

Was on the Algorail and took the last of the ore from there. It had been lying about for a while. Think the year was 1980.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Discussion about the ore dock 2 years ago:

http://newsearch.boatnerd.com/viewtopic ... ck#p192527

And here is info on the coal dockhttps://web.archive.org/web/20160527030 ... tugen.html

Link to history of Algoma Eastern Railway. Not much info on docks however. (This link broken in the old post above)

https://exporail.org/portail/can_rail/c ... 3-1973.pdf

little current ontario

Unread post by guest »

across the channel from little current on the mainland was a coal receiving dock {2 bridge cranes i believe} some of this coal was for the cpr did some go to inco in sudbury? in latter years they also loaded iron ore at this dock in the late 70s early 80s? a soo river steamer loaded the left over coal and took it to a power plant or steel mill in the usa probably got the load of leftover coal at a real bargain