ss keewatain

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: ss keewatain

Unread post by Guest »

Lakercapt wrote: April 5, 2023, 11:17 am I visited this fine boat a couple of years ago and the volunteers were doing a magnificent job in restoring her alas still much work was in progress.
The engine room was a well-laid-out replica of the engine and I was able to help the lady who was the guide in explaining the operation of it. (I had been sailing with triple expansion steam engines as an apprentice).
There was a section of models of lake boats which were another part of the display. My old boat Saskatchewan Pioneer was one of them but the model maker had made a mistake that only someone with knowledge of her would notice.
Sad to see her go but better to Kingston than Port Colborne !
In reference to your note about the Saskatchewan Pioneer, as a model builder myself I have also seen such examples over the years in which a mistake works its way into a model. In one example I know of a modeler who used the original blueprints of a vessel to portray it near the end of its career during which it had received some structural changes that made it incompatible with the fleet markings in which it was painted. These types of issues are not uncommon with even production kits of various vehicles (ships, cars, planes, tanks, etc.) made by large model companies that at times contain profile and detail inaccuracies. Over the years, however, I have seen the most mistakes in relation to Great Lakes ships in artwork by various artists that presumably used photographs and other information incompatible with the timeframe they are attempting to portray. Some of these mistakes are small such as the wrong radar antenna dish being used in Edmund Fitzgerald paintings depicting its final voyage. A more noticeable inaccuracy I have seen is a portrayal of the Arthur M. Anderson searching for Fitzgerald survivors as a self-unloader regardless of it not being converted until 7 years after the sinking. Another example is Jim Clary's Huron Lightship print which shows the lightship on station with what appears to be the unmistakable profile of the Roger Blough in the background despite the Huron Lightship being retired two years before the Blough entered service.

For the most part, however, such mistakes do not detract from the skill of the creators of these objects and they remain enjoyable to view and appreciate the hard work that goes into creating them.
Lakercapt

Re: ss keewatain

Unread post by Lakercapt »

I visited this fine boat a couple of years ago and the volunteers were doing a magnificent job in restoring her alas still much work was in progress.
The engine room was a well-laid-out replica of the engine and I was able to help the lady who was the guide in explaining the operation of it. (I had been sailing with triple expansion steam engines as an apprentice).
There was a section of models of lake boats which were another part of the display. My old boat Saskatchewan Pioneer was one of them but the model maker had made a mistake that only someone with knowledge of her would notice.
Sad to see her go but better to Kingston than Port Colborne !

ss keewatain

Unread post by guest »

moving the keewatain to kingston is probably the right thing to do. the museum there has the money and will get more visitors. port mcnichol isnt really a tourist destination